Kohl

Put your thoughts here on the Summer 2012 Collection of deep and resinous blends inspired by the ancients in Egypt.

Moderator: Maya

hill78
principalities
principalities

Kohl

Post by hill78 »

"One of the hottest trends in beauty is one of the oldest there is. Kohl is the black powder used to rim the inner eyelid called the waterline and was used liberally in Ancient Egypt. Thought to be a strengthening agent and good for eye health, it acts like sunglasses against the strong rays of the sun. Its application makes your eyes look bigger and more beautiful than just about any other form of enhancement.

Dark and insinuating, beautiful and mysterious. Black fig, oakmoss, copal incense, black amber. Sultry and hot skinlike. Spicy and resinous."

Straight out of the mail today, so this may change pending recovery from hot mailbox syndrome. Straight out of the bottle I get the fig (a lovely, warm, hazy fig, not a fresh juicy one) which is sweet, but not toothache inducing. I think the warm fuzziness may be partly the result of the black amber, which probably also adds to the soft sweetness, and helps keep this grounded. I don't pick out the coal and oakmoss right off the bat, but I'm sure that they add to the overall hazy, softness here. I think they also help keep this from being candy sweet. I really like this one! It might even be upgraded to a 10ml.
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Kohl

Post by Maya »

Okay, now I am more relaxed and relieved that I snagged this one on this last order. I can't wait to sniff it!
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
hill78
principalities
principalities

Post by hill78 »

Maya wrote:Okay, now I am more relaxed and relieved that I snagged this one on this last order. I can't wait to sniff it!
I hope you love it!
mina
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by mina »

On my skin a very dark perfum.
Black amber, black fig, something resinous. Hypnotic and sensual.
It's not sharp, but not sweet either.
A beautiful scent for sultry night.

On my skin it's not a strong scent, I have to put my nose on my wrist to smell it.
tarayvonne
virtues
virtues

Post by tarayvonne »

This is dark, resinous, I think I smell a hint of the egyptian musk like in Custance in the middle of the dry down, I can smell the oakmoss too blended into it because I'm familiar with the scent having used it in soaps. The hint of sweetness of the amber is under there. There is almost a hint of fire to this, like a tiny tiny bit of smokiness that perhaps is from the incense. It very nearly reminds me of vetiver but that's not listed in the ingredients so who knows. This is gorgeous wet, more incensey/spicy when completely dry. I like it very much, I do wish it had more presence when dry though. It's very quiet, I have to press my nose to it when dry like with Custance. Otherwise it would be big bottle worthy without a doubt. Dry, the description "Sultry and hot skinlike" is very fitting. It is beautiful, no doubt about it :l:
mina
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by mina »

tarayvonne wrote: It very nearly reminds me of vetiver but that's not listed in the ingredients so who knows.
So, I'm not crazy. I didn't mention it because I thought it was only my nose but it reminds me of vetiver too.
gypsyjolie
principalities
principalities

Post by gypsyjolie »

wet on skin: Deep dark amber with the purple fruitiness/sweetness of fig. It does seem slightly smoky, and there is definitely something that reminds me of vetiver too. Maybe that's the oakmoss being dry/plant-like. It does smell black to me, slightly fuzzy or hazy and warm

fully dry: For me, this smooths out on drydown. It becomes like the glossy fur of a spoiled black cat. It's still a bit sweet from the lush fig, it's definitely a bit smoky from the incense (though this doesn't smell like incense, per se). I get the copal and fig in the throw most strongly, which is a really nice pairing... but up close the amber and fig are the main players. It's VELVETY.

Definitely unisex, would be very sexy on a guy as well as a girl. I bet some aging will make this even more divine.
I do wish it had a little more oopmh. I have to slather.
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. ~ e e cummings
warriortwo
archangel
archangel

Post by warriortwo »

My initial impression of this scent is DRAMBUIE! It even has a slight alcohol bite, like whiskey. (I've tried Possets' other liquor-inspired scents, and I didn't get half the impression of true liquor, like I do with Kohl.) The amber is much more like true amber resin, and doesn't turn into powder on me. It stays smooth and sultry throughout.

Thanks to Angi for decanting these, because I passed this up several times. I've had iffy experiences with similar scents, like Shah Jahan and Custance, that were too spicy and sandalwood-y to work for me. This is certainly in the same arena as those, but it's the first one I feel comfortable in.