Melchior (Yule 2008)

These were part of previous collections which didn't get voted into the Permanent Collection. They are beautiful and have their avid followings. You would be able to purchase them during a Retour, which Possets brings back all of the fragrances they have ever made and offers them for sale again for a limited time.

Moderator: Maya

puck_nc
principalities
principalities

Melchior (Yule 2008)

Post by puck_nc »

Melchior is one of the three variations on frankincense and myrrh. A smoke-like blend of the beautiful frankincense and myrrh, golden amber, the smell of precious woods of the vessels they all came in and the tang of metal. Very primitive and quite sophisticated at the same time.

Melchior, is the King of Arabia and I have always thought of him as being the one who had myrrh to give as a gift.

Origin: Decant from eviltemptressdq's circle

Initial Thoughts: Trying all the Wise Men. The smoke on top of the incense-related notes is not my best combination.

In the Vial: Richer and smokier than Caspar, but still not an overpoweringly strong scent.

Wet: Very smoky and woodsy on me. This reminds me a lot of Paisley. If I still have my decant of that I should do a side-by-side comparison.

Drydown: Not much morph. Very woodsy-smoky and very light throw.

Verdict: I will do that side-by-side with Paisley if I still have it. But so far I'm liking Caspar better.
MollyG
preternatural being
preternatural being

Melchior (Yule 2008)

Post by MollyG »

Incense lovers, rejoice! :love:
Melchior smells exactly like I hoped a Wise Men-inspired fragrance would be... deep, smoky, resinous, and woody. It is a scent of ancient ritual, and I would even say it is sort of churchy. There is the tiniest bit of fir mingled in with the frankincense, myrrh, and amber, which to me makes it a definite winter fragrance. It brings back childhood memories of Christmas Eve Mass. The smoke and fir fade on me as the fragrance dries down to a lovely woody-balsamic base. My only complaint is that I wish it were a little stronger, as it does fade after 2 or 3 hours.

I layered Melchior with Midnight Mass at Old St. Mary's today, and the result was absolutely lovely and very calming. If you find comfort in church-smelling scents, definitely try the two together.
Aida
preternatural being
preternatural being

Melchior (Yule 2008)

Post by Aida »

I think it's my favorite of the 3. It's smoky, woodsy, but not cold, thanks to the myrrh and amber I guess, it is warm and soft. Very comforting and with the clean but warm aspect I like. It is not strong, but still very present, it's one of those I feel more than I smell if that makes sense and that's a feeling I really like.
I agree it has something that reminds of Paisley, but lighter and without the strong patchouly. But same family.
And MollyG, layering it with Midnight Mass is a brilliant idea! I have been wanting to get this one for months, because I love it a lot (I got lucky and got 2 Possets of it with my orders, so I could still use it) but I tried it with Melchior yesterday and it magically ended up in the order I placed in the evening. Gorgeous! I hope I will get it all before Xmas, because it would be the perfect scent for my Christmas eve.
labyrinthine
mortal
mortal

Melchior (Yule 2008)

Post by labyrinthine »

I loved this instantly. It is the incense scent I've been searching for: the smoke is integrated so well with sweet myrrh and amber and frankincense. There isn't much in the way of wood, which is great for me. I wore this on Christmas Eve and found that it warms up beautifully on the skin- it made me feel a strange mix of happy, sexy and holy!

Melchior also is wonderful on my aromastone, filling the room with sweet, rich incense. Perfect.
pytra
preternatural being
preternatural being

Melchior (Yule 2008)

Post by pytra »

Aida, just like you; it's my favorite of the 3 - though Balthazar comes close 2nd-
this scent just makes me shiver with emotion... it's great...
Pony
a spark
a spark

Melchior (Yule 2008)

Post by Pony »

:Smitten_emoticon: Oh huge thumbs up on this one. I own several frank'n'myrrh blends, and this is my top favorite now. Melchior smells like church incense in the vial, but once applied I just coast along in a beautiful contemplative cloud. The golden amber tempers the incense and brings it into perfume territory, without dulling the sharp edges completely or pushing it into sweetness. I even *gasp* mixed a touch in with another one of my frank'n'myrrhs....bad me. My husband loves to wear it too, which isn't surprising since he adores Midnight Mass at St. Mary's
Atropos
virtues
virtues

Melchior (Yule 2008)

Post by Atropos »

This is the best resin scent ever! Not overly masculine as resin scents tend to be. This is soft incense in the vial. Perfect in every way possible. I love snuggling up with this king!
whiskerswhispers
principalities
principalities

Melchior (Yule 2008)

Post by whiskerswhispers »

Melchior
In bottle: incense-resin nosegasm! This is like Caspar but sweeter and darker.
On skin: oh my. I thought Caspar was good but this one surpasses it. This is Possets resin crack! Not to mention that this is very realistic. It smells just like frank and myrrh incense wafting in the air, with a beautiful backdrop of sweet amber. It smells like both the resins and their smoke, and a bit of the ashes too. Gorgeous golden frankincense and bittersweet smoky myrrh with a sweet after-smell. There’s something almost familiar about this scent. I think it’s because it reminds me a bit of that wonderful sweet incense that was being burnt in the streets of Seville when I was there. I loved that incense smell and I loved Seville, so this makes me very happy. This is much more of a true resin scent than Caspar. This has that wonderful smokiness to it which makes me think of resins burning as incense. This is a soft fragrant resin smoke, not a full on charred bonfire smoke. But it’s the sweetness that makes this so wonderful. It softens the resins and adds a glowing and warm aspect. After a couple of hours it turns into the most gorgeous sweet frankincense smoke ever, with a halo of glowing amber surrounding it, and a rich myrrh undercurrent. I love this king most out of the three and I think he’s fast becoming my favourite Possets guy. Orion, you’ve got competition!
gypsyjolie
principalities
principalities

Melchior (Yule 2008)

Post by gypsyjolie »

I love this - sweet smoky incense. I enjoy the citrussy lilt of frankincense, but sometimes it gets too sharp/hairspray-esque in resin blends, and often myrrh smells like rancid honey or BO on me, but this is beautiful. I think the rich, spicy amber keeps everything in check. Something makes this really sweet-smelling too, which makes it more feminine and wearable than MMaOSM was on me. I would love this as a room scent too - it does smell smoky or hazy like someone is burning it and it is wafting past me.
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. ~ e e cummings