Terra Incognita (Spring 2011)

Ingredients can disappear and that means that the Possets which are made from those ingredients must disappear also. These are the blends to which we have to make a fond farewell.

Moderator: Maya

gypsyjolie
principalities
principalities

Post by gypsyjolie »

A blend which perfectly recreates twilight and the coming of night. Five different types of black musk and pink and black pepper essential oils come together to make a serious and dark blend with tremendous staying power. Nothing foodie is in evidence here and there is a cast of silk which is put in the blend to give it an almost indefinable sophistication.

This one is limited from the beginning due to one of the ingredients being discontinued. It will be offered at this Spring Collection 2011 and there will be enough made for several Retours and then it's gone. I tried to get enough of one of the ingredients to last for a while, but I don't want to disappoint anyone if I have to pull this sometime.

Wet: This is so much softer than I expected from the black musk and pepper components! It's definitely a smooth musk, and the pink pepper is slightly sweet and slightly spicy, but never is identifiable as "pepper" to me.

Drying: the musk comes a bit more forward and it's sheer and sweet, not dark as Fabienne's description says. It's far less heavy than the black musk in say, The Great Actuary of Babylon. It reminds me of deepening dusk, as opposed to pitch black night - if that makes sense.

Full drydown: This is incredibly beautiful. It is lush and soft, in the musky way that blends like 301 are, but the pepper adds a subtle touch of something sharp to cut the musk. It is like the description says twilight and it does seem deep purple-blue of dusk, with almost a blackberry or iris sort of scent in the musk. This is almost undescribable in words - very well blended, very feminine, soft, dark, subtle, sophisticated. This could be a day or a night fragrance. Decent throw, long lasting.

Bottle for sure, maybe two.
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. ~ e e cummings
Nyx
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by Nyx »

This blend reminds me a lot of Sophisticated, except with more pepper and no mint. The two blends could be twins. Imagine two twin girls, one fiery and mysterious, the other softy dark and complex.

Like this painting:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/freeparking/2322177787/

The painting is by John Everett Millais called Twins, Kate Hoare and Grace Hoare.

The image does say more than I can with words. It is like meeting two wonderful mysterious women who are twins, yet by their mannerisms, you can tell them
apart.

I don't know which one I like better. Sophisticated has a nice blend of mint, black musk, pepper and capsicum. Terra Incognita is dark musk and pepper, pepper and more pepper with a exotic feminine, almost floral, dry down. I can't decide. I love these blends. Pepper spice but doesn't get foody...deep dark musk...wonderful dry downs and amazing throw and strength.

I highly recommend them both!
simonetta.vespucci
archangel
archangel

Post by simonetta.vespucci »

dear possetiers:

we must recommend that you be on the alert against posts by fellow forumite, nyx. her review writing has a terrifying tendency to cause lust for previously-unneeded blends in unsuspecting readers.

sincerely,
the don't-go-broke committee

:bigsmile:

very fortunately for me, possets' pepper notes are a little too much on my skin, so i (think i am) still safe. love the painting/analogy, though.
Nyx
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by Nyx »

@simonetta.vespucc...good one!

Unfortunately, most people will have to wait for a Retour unless Sophisticated shows up for next Yule.

I luv my twin darlings! :)
Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos »

I love this blend! I hope it stays in the permanent collection. It needs to. I never get pepper, I almost get pine with musk. I think it's how the pepper blends together so well with the other notes. I have had more compliments on it. Just love it!

Oh, and everything Nyx said about it...yes, read her review! :rolling:
simonetta.vespucci
archangel
archangel

Post by simonetta.vespucci »

this isn't a review, just posting to agree - atropos, i get something evergreenish from fabienne's pepper notes (both the pink in "girls love" and the black in "venus black", also.
Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos »

Me too sim, I thought it was just me! Fabienne's peppers tend to register as evergreen (not Pinesol). Lovely, just lovely the way it does that.:Smitten_emoticon:
Drarra

Re: Terra Incognita (Spring 2011)

Post by Drarra »

This was one of the first Possets I found and fell in love with. I love how the description and scent both show twilight deepening as night falls.

In the bottle: I really like how the smells of the twilight conception. The peppers contrast beautifully with the musks, which aren't overpowering. This could be more evidence of why I <3 black musk.

On skin: Soft musk - but not pale musks. Beyond the musk, it smells of pepper and twilight. I LOVE the musk in this.
funkmoppet2
archangel
archangel

Re: Terra Incognita (Spring 2011)

Post by funkmoppet2 »

Pink pepper and I generally hold each other in contempt, but it's remarkably subdued in this one. This is very violet, sweet, with a dusting of pepper and musk. This one doesn't morph much on me. Nice, but I definitely prefer Terra Nocturna.