Madeira (Midsummer 2007)

Ingredients can disappear and that means that the Possets which are made from those ingredients must disappear also. These are the blends to which we have to make a fond farewell.

Moderator: Maya

Catsmeow
preternatural being
preternatural being

Madeira (Midsummer 2007)

Post by Catsmeow »

Description on the website: "The snootiest and richest area of Cincinnati, Madeira is where the chi-chi live in their big big houses. At Christmastime some ride their horses from house to house carolling on horseback and drinking toasts at their neighbor's houses out of silver cups. I invented the scent of Madiera with rich dark red fruits and loads of dry classiness. So there is some fun amidst the stuffiness, and enough stuffiness to make it fun."

Madeira is Sangria at its best: the finest red wine and juiciest red fruits blending beautifully in a crystal pitcher. Madeira starts off with the ripest red Bing cherries...followed by notes of crushed grapes, plums and cranberries. Raisins and a single cinnamon stick add a mulled wine spiciness to the mix. There's a wee bit of citrus in here as well - a slice of orange for refreshment. Raise your goblet high in a toast to Fabienne!
puck_nc
principalities
principalities

Madeira (Midsummer 2007)

Post by puck_nc »

Origin: decant from eviltemptressdq's circle

Initial Thoughts: I love rich red wines, but they haven't usually worked on my skin as perfume notes.

In the Bottle: An incredible rush of dark, rich, luscious fruits with a swirl of wine and hints of spice in the background. For some reason, I think of what plum pudding must be like.

Wet: Cherries and raisins and hints of mulling spices, with enough of a wine note to keep it from turning too medicine-y.

Drydown: This dries down on me into an incredibly blended scent of wine and spice with hints of fruit winking in and out...it's the Pomona effect for me.

Verdict: This will definitely be getting scent locket action and I will grab a bottle before these go away. Of all things, I look forward to wearing it at a Christmas party.
whiskerswhispers
principalities
principalities

Madeira (Midsummer 2007)

Post by whiskerswhispers »

Madeira
In vial: almonds, cherries, amaretto? It smells like boozy almondy-y fruit.
On skin: fruity! The cherry-almond topping starts to recede and I get something which is very much like sugar plums. After the almonds have gone, what I'm left with is a wonderful boozy fruit scent very reminiscent of Gibbous, but not as spicy-autumnal. Plum is the dominant note here, followed by cherry and a wonderful true red grape note, possibly apricot too. I also get a crisp, contrasting note of white wine that tempers the syrupy scent. Fans of BPAL Bordello might like this-it's not identical to Bordello, it's not as sugary, but has a similar feel to it. This is gorgeous, a rich fruity-boozy scent with hints of gourmand and oriental. I also get something very amber-like underneath (it's a golden, non-cloying glowing sweetness which to me is so characteristic of amber), maybe a hint of something spicy or resinous but not as chai/mulled wine like as Gibbous. Indeed, the sugary fruity notes merge and that amber like base rises up to merge with them and the scent becomes the most wonderful fruity sweet exotic sensual scent ever, a fruity vanilla amber with oriental spices and maybe musk, think along similar lines to Hymn to Proserpine. In fact, now I smell lots and lots of vanilla extract in here, and even apricot jam! In fact, this is very much like the fruity version of Frou Frou, or the beautiful lovechild of Frou Frou and Gibbous. It's beautifully smooth and delicious at drydown-nothing stands out too much, just a beautiful blur of fruit and sweet vanilla and warm amber. Damn, I need a bottle!
forspecial
archangel
archangel

Madeira (Midsummer 2007)

Post by forspecial »

This makes me sad......when I put it on, it's the most beautiful soft and sweet fruitiness with a touch of wine. It's the wonderful sweetness of a cherry tart, or maybe a touch of almond. I just love it. Then, after a very short time (maybe 10 or 15 minutes), it disappears, almost completely! :cry: There is a slight, vague sweetness left but that is it.

If there was ever a scent that screams at me to buy a scent locket, this is the one. If I could make this last I'd be ever so happy!
ichabod
mortal
mortal

Madeira (Midsummer 2007)

Post by ichabod »

Well yep, I love this one. It smells like cherry Starbursts! Lemme say it again, I LOVE this one!
Scathach
a spark
a spark

Madeira (Midsummer 2007)

Post by Scathach »

I am in love with Madeira. Happy red fruits, cherries definitely come through when I am wearing it, on my sister it smells more like a wine scent (I am getting my sister addicted to Possets now lol). This is a very clear fruity scent with a tinge of sugar in the mix, as it dries over time I even smell a hint of something spicy but its very faint. Madeira is one of my faves, its absolutely bottle worthy for me :)
duality_duel
a spark
a spark

Madeira (Midsummer 2007)

Post by duality_duel »

Origin: Straight from Possets

Initial Thoughts: WOW! I LOVE RASPUTIN!

In the bottle: "Oh no, this smells like cherry cough syrup."

Wet- Sophisticated black bing cherry (that almost passes for amaretto) and light musk. Very grown-up.

Dry-down: I think it wore off on my mouse pad. It's still very pretty, but faint. I'm sensing a play on the cherry here, like a cherry blossom and sweet cherry. I find that very amusing.
Aida
preternatural being
preternatural being

Madeira (Midsummer 2007)

Post by Aida »

I fell compeltely in love with this one ! I am not always crazy about red fruits in perfumes in general, but this one is amazing! :heartbounce:
I smell almonds at the beginning, and then, woooooosh, cherry comes, and it becomes really addictive. A perfect balance between sugar, fruits and a little touch of bitterness, just to make it more interesting.
It just makes me want to smile, put my favorite dress and get out in the wild World to share my happyness ! :swingin:
saosis
preternatural being
preternatural being

Madeira (Midsummer 2007)

Post by saosis »

This one completely disappeared on me within an hour of applying, which was a pity as I like the initial scent.
gypsyjolie
principalities
principalities

Madeira (Midsummer 2007)

Post by gypsyjolie »

The first smell when wet is ALMOND/CHERRY - very in your face, but that mellows in a couple of minutes to "red fruits of the forest", as they say in the UK. I smell plum, dark cherries, maybe some berries, red grapes. This has a much more wine (acidic/sharper/boozy) smell when wet and into drydown, becoming a velvety black cherry/red wine sangria smell, sort of mulled with spices. Full drydown is lush and soft and dark red fruity, but very sexy - red wine, high black heels, little black dress sexy! There must be some musk in here.

I'm not a fruity smell fan generally, but I may change my mind for this one...

:coldshower:
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. ~ e e cummings