Lamp Black

Ingredients can disappear and that means that the Possets which are made from those ingredients must disappear also. These are the blends to which we have to make a fond farewell.

Moderator: Maya

Catsmeow
preternatural being
preternatural being

Lamp Black

Post by Catsmeow »

Description on the website for Lamp Black- "A sophisticated but lilting interpretation of the sable hue. Lamp black is the most dark type of black and yet it is easy to use as a mixer for other colors. Somber and bit volatile, black tea haunts the other members of the mix, some surprising and some expected. I would classify this one as spicy and somewhat perfumy, like air which has been annealed by heat. Very sexy."

This is a stunner! Sexy, flirtatious, yet very classy! Lamp Black is "Oriental" in character and definitely unisex - a gentleman easily could wear this (and even someone who is not such a gentleman, LOL). :threesome:

There is a strong opening statement with black tea (tea fans, rejoice!) and cracked black peppercorn. After a minute or so on the skin, the tea motif holds, while pepper gives way to an exotic array of coriander, citrus zest, rich dark fruits (but never becoming too fruity or sweet), vanilla, amber. Then, hints of subdued rose and fresh tobacco leaf emerge. With time, the scent gains in complexity and strength. Lamp Black begins and ends on a high note!

This is bound to be a classic, no doubt. :fleur:
puck_nc
principalities
principalities

Lamp Black

Post by puck_nc »

Origin: decant from eviltemptressdq's circle

Initial Thoughts: I must try them all, though I don't keep all of them. I have heard rumors of licorice in this one.

In the Bottle: Wow. I love what Fabienne can do with this line. The initial impression is indeed of a soft, velvety black, like the blacking powder once used to polish stoves. It's inviting and a bit seductive.

Wet: Hm. Not as good on me. I get anise and tea and something in the background has a sour undertone.

Drydown: Hmpf. Of all things, it now smells like stale soot on me. There's supposed to be pepper in here, and I don't think it's behaving on me.

Verdict: Ah well, hopefully this will work on someone else.
maribouquet
preternatural being
preternatural being

Lamp Black

Post by maribouquet »

Catsmeow, I am in awe of your nose!

I think this is spot on for the color. The tea note is dominant on me, and it is dark and strong, just as I like tea. Not overtly masculine, but this would smell fantastic on a man. While I'm not certain if this is something I will wear, I really like the rich, smoky, 'sooty' lapsang souchong undertones. This is stunning and a truly unique and gorgeous blend. Bravo, Fabienne!
Catsmeow
preternatural being
preternatural being

Lamp Black

Post by Catsmeow »

Dear Maribouquet, thank you so much for your lovely compliment! You are very sweet! :flowers:
neuilly
mortal
mortal

Lamp Black

Post by neuilly »

I agree that this is a unisex blend. Tea, black, with some spice...and annis. It does have an oriental element to it.
citharadraconis
mortal
mortal

Lamp Black

Post by citharadraconis »

Sniffer bottle from etdq's circle.

In bottle: Dear God, how does she do that? This is exactly the "air annealed by heat" scent in the description. My nose is miserable at identification, but I definitely get black pepper, grounded by something deep and slightly sweet--perhaps the tea.

On me: This becomes something very wearable, rich and spicy with a nice zing to it. Unisex, but appealing to me even though I generally go for the sweeter scents. I like this a lot. Tracking down a decant.
sfisher323
preternatural being
preternatural being

Lamp Black

Post by sfisher323 »

Okay, I think my nose is doing funny things to me. Perhaps it's tired from some of the testing I made it do yesterday?

At first, I loved this. An amazing blend of black tea, peppercorn, a bit of amber . . . gorgeous. Catsmeow's review is spot on. A touch of black licorice. The Twizzlers variety (which in my licorice world is a good thing).

But now? I would swear I was sniffing Faith or Sugared Violets applied many hours ago with a hint of licorice. It's taken me 10 minutes to figure that out. I just kept tihnking - this reminds me of something! And that's it. How . . . strange.

Perhaps it's a bad day to do more testing then . . .
Atropos
virtues
virtues

Lamp Black

Post by Atropos »

Ok so black tea, pepper, amber and licorice and maybe a hint of leather a little dark tobacco leaf? I love this scent! OMG, it is sooo fantastic. I am Fabienne's slave, she kindly gave me a sample because I begged her with my last order. I am smitten, obsessed and in love. Like I am for my beloved Over the Rhine. Lamp Black is my favorite of the colors so far, and all of them are beautiful (again Fabienne sent me all the colors save orange in my order, you sweet thing you:winkkiss: ). I am so hoping that Lamp Black is added to the colors list. I would buy this one all year round. It is even better when you give it time to get over the shock of being in the mail. And aged? Oh baby, watch out, this is a killer of a scent. And it is unisex, this would smell yummy on both boys and girls. I think ForSpecial might like this one (the only one I know for certain on the forum who is a guy, hehe). I know I want to shag myself I smell so good. :bigsmile: Thanks Fabienne! :flowers:
Gale
preternatural being
preternatural being

Lamp Black

Post by Gale »

This is so amazing!

I am finding it very difficult to describe. In the wet phase I smell black tea, but that's all I can identify. Once it dries, the tea blends in with all of the other elements and the whole becomes something warm and elegant. Yes, elegant is the one word I would use to describe Lamp Black.

It is just so stunningly beautiful (two more words I would use to describe it).
Gemma
archangel
archangel

Lamp Black

Post by Gemma »

Pepper straight off the bat, with a little spice, some hot tea, and just a pinch of liquorice. This dries down to a wonderful sweet, peppery warmth. Lovely!

I tried this on yesterday as soon as it arrived, and I liked it a lot. Today, though, I am totally, madly in love! There's something very compelling and addictive about this scent; the warmth of the pepper, the smoky sweetness, the way it envelopes you in a soft cloud of unique scent.

LOVE LOVE LOVE. :heartsabove:

Absolutely wonderful, and a must try for everyone! I hope that, like the other colours, this becomes part of the permanent line because it is so unique and beautiful.

(I'd class this as unisex, btw, so men take note!)