Lamp Black

Ingredients can disappear and that means that the Possets which are made from those ingredients must disappear also. These are the blends to which we have to make a fond farewell.

Moderator: Maya

whiskerswhispers
principalities
principalities

Lamp Black

Post by whiskerswhispers »

Lamp Black
In vial: black pepper and one of the most authentic smelling black tea notes ever.
On skin: pungent black pepper, black tea, a hint of anise and a little bit of sweetness. This is gorgeous. Many tea notes, including black tea notes, smell too astringent or green for black tea, nothing like the strongly brewed English stuff. But this does. It smells just like dried black tea should. The pepper is the strongest note though, a crackling piquancy, and with a surprisingly pleasant anise note. This smells almost like some kind of herbal tea infusion, or some variation of chai or some other Asian tea blend. But it also has that true English tea smell and a hint of something sophisticated and almost gentlemanly. Underneath it all there’s something sweet, almost floral…maybe rose, or vanilla, or musk? The pepper fades away and I get a hint of floral, almost like the floral notes of Hyde Park, but darkened. Now I can smell vanilla here, for sure. Not a fluffy, frilly vanilla, but a deep, rich, glossy, black vanilla bean scent, like Bourbon vanilla pods. Now this smells like the finest vanilla tea, no milk. There’s also something like dried rose to it. this is deep, rich, dark, magnificent. It is sleek and slinky like a black cat’s fur, it smells like the best vanilla tea with spices and, at drydown, a bit of moss, possibly a chypre base? This is gorgeous and I will definitely need a bottle.
ivy_fiddlefox
archangel
archangel

Lamp Black

Post by ivy_fiddlefox »

Reminds me of pepper that dries down to something lightly sweet and Avony but I don't know what... I do however wish to get a bottle ad I hope it stays in the colors collection!
cuervosueno
preternatural being
preternatural being

Lamp Black

Post by cuervosueno »

I got a possette of this in my first order, and when I read the licorice/anise comments I went ACCCKKK! because anise is my true note of doom.

But when I smelled it all I got was lovely cracked pepper and some other spices, so I decided to put it on anyway (and besides, I love me some tea notes, and Fabienne does them better than anyone, so....)

It is really interesting. Cracked pepper and maybe a hint of tea, and yes, there's a tiny bit of anise, but you know this is so well-blended that it doesn't bother me at all. Once I had this tea for a cold, some sort of herbal concoction with pepper and this reminds me of it. It is much more appealing than I expected, and while I probably won't get a bottle, I'll keep my possette!
Upstart Crow
a spark
a spark

Lamp Black

Post by Upstart Crow »

Holy crap, I just love this scent to bits! I got a tinnny bit of it as a freebie when I got some BPAL imps awhile ago. I get pure pepper and black tea in the vial.

On my skin, the pepper fades and the tea comes out stronger. As it dries down I get some vague floral ... perhaps it is the anise mentioned above?

A FABULOUS scent!! I need a bottle of this.:cool:
ichabod
mortal
mortal

Lamp Black

Post by ichabod »

Ooohh, I love this! In the vial it's a juicy, dry, tea & peppercorn scent; on the skin the peppercorn comes out more, but it's tempered by something sweet and almost anise-y/licorice-y. I won't need a bottle of this, but it's really, really unique and wonderfully crafted. It smells...expensive, if that makes sense.
saosis
preternatural being
preternatural being

Lamp Black

Post by saosis »

I love this - starts off with the tea and pepper, and then changes into something more oriental. I think I get the anise (need to check that!) and a teeny tiny hint of something that reminds me of jasmine (that kind of night-time scent), but I could very well be wrong on that. I can't wait to try this again.
Christine Daae
mortal
mortal

Lamp Black

Post by Christine Daae »

In the Possette, this is black tea. Only that and nothing more, as Poe would say.

I tried this on last night and let my fiance sniff - he said he liked it, and I told him I might like it better on him, and he agreed it was "sort of dark" for me. I hadn't told him which blend I was trying, so I think this means Fabienne's spot on with her interpretation of Lamp Black!

Wet on my skin this smells like spiced licorice tea. Sort of like Throat Coat, which is the savior of many an actor/singer with no voice or a sore throat, so I have that association with it (which is sort of comforting and sort of jittery at the same time). As it wears, the licorice/anise note calms down a bit. It's really a lovely blend, unisex, but again, not really "me." I might try it on the fiance tonight and see what happens!
AEris
a spark
a spark

Lamp Black

Post by AEris »

I agree that this starts out smelling "licorice tea," but it dries down to have more complexity than the first impression. The black licorice quickly fades, and since I don't like licorice, that's a good thing for me. : -) I've never smelled anything like Lamp Black before, and that's saying something - I'm shamelessly addicted to perfume! :devil: The longer it's on my skin, the more I'm drawn to it. There's some subdued, sexy spiciness, a swirl of resinous sweetness, a languishing tobacco note....I really can't find the words to describe it, though. It's definitely a dark scent, but if I had to assign it a color, it would be the darkest, richest shade of brown. Very unique, and I like it much more than I expected to from smelling it in the vial. It can definitely be worn on men, but has enough sultry creaminess and a hint of sweetness to be worn by sexy ladies, for sure. Fascinating!
morningglory
principalities
principalities

Lamp Black

Post by morningglory »

Definitely anise-scented, almost more fennel-like though. It smelled like fennel seeds taste, anise without being candy sweet with some extra spice layered in. I did NOT get a rash from this, a first for a spicy smelling scent. However, that being said, as much as I like the taste of fennel, I don't really want to smell like it. It was a very nice scent, and did nothing wrong on my skin, it just wasn't me.
duality_duel
a spark
a spark

Lamp Black

Post by duality_duel »

In the Bottle: Smells like anise and booze.

Wet: Definitely anise. Then it changes to my mother's old lipstick drawer on me: thick, greasy, and cakey tubes, and powdery elements. I'm noting some vetiver-like aspects to this.

Drydown: It's soft and mysterious, with the sweetness and spice of anise.

Verdict This fragrance evokes "black" images for me. If I had a vinyl outfit to go with this scent, I'd be set. And with the reference to my mother's makeup mentioned above, I think Freud would really like me in this scent.

It's definitely a hawt fragrance. Can't decide if I'll keep it or no. There's just something off-putting about anise and me. I love the stuff, but not to wear.

**note!** there is pepper in this scent, for those allergic. It's burning my sunburn.