Lamp Black

Ingredients can disappear and that means that the Possets which are made from those ingredients must disappear also. These are the blends to which we have to make a fond farewell.

Moderator: Maya

idoru
a spark
a spark

Lamp Black

Post by idoru »

When I first put this on, I was silly enough to do a patch with other scents. I got as far as "herbal, I like it" before I tried it by itself.

It opens with black tea, and is smoothly, smokily herbal -- but what I end up with is a comforting vanilla-tobacco scent. You know, how really expensive pipe tobacco smells. It's slightly more complex than just the tobacco I'm getting, but I can't individually detect anise or anything.. this is definitely unisex, though I'm perfectly happy wearing it.
Aida
preternatural being
preternatural being

Lamp Black

Post by Aida »

This is I think the first Posset I fell in love with, and i'ts true love.
I discovered I liked some scent I thought I didn't with a few other Possets scent (like vanillia I usually hate...) this one has everything I like, so I was quite sure I'd love it.
I like it wet, and I love it once it's dry. On my skin, it turns to black tea with pepper and spices and a touch of sugar, it's dark, it's mysterious and very sexy I think. I just feel really good wearing this, it seems natural to me, like the perfume I've always had in mind as being my perfume ! I'm also quite happy because I'm a huge pepper addict in perfumes, and it usually turns very nice on my skin. But I don't know why, I'm not very successfull with Possets pepper like Orion which gets very strange on my skin. But with this one, it is just perfect, and quite strong.
sadtomato
a spark
a spark

Lamp Black

Post by sadtomato »

the anise is pretty strong in this one, but it blends wonderfully with everything else and is just a very gorgeous and grown-up blend.
this is a night-time blend to wear with a dress, heels, and some elegant jewelry.
this scent catches people's attention when i walk by 'cause it's so unique.
love it.
gypsyjolie
principalities
principalities

Lamp Black

Post by gypsyjolie »

While the anise & black pepper make it a rather harsh stinging scent when wet, this dries down to a velvety soft dark scent as the fruit comes forward and the pepper receedes a bit. The anise smooths out and this gets pretty sexy, actually!
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. ~ e e cummings
emma
archangel
archangel

Lamp Black

Post by emma »

I could see this becomming a real favorite! In the bottle I get a hint of citrus, but on the annis,which I love and the pepper really bloom on my skin! It reminds me of something my mother would have worn, and the woman had a great flair for perfume. One of my first memories of shopping with her was that men were always walking up and asking what perfume she was wearing. On me this smells sexy without being obtrusive. I LOVE IT!!!:bigsmile:
Bunnycoat
preternatural being
preternatural being

Lamp Black

Post by Bunnycoat »

Reminds me of Villainess Pyromania .... which I love :rainbow:
Graffititype
a spark
a spark

Lamp Black

Post by Graffititype »

Very, very interesting. I get a bit of the black tea from this, but this is mostly anise & peppercorns on me. It is quite perfumey and a little bit pungent. Not my kinda scent, but really interesting.
regiregioxomfree

Lamp Black

Post by regiregioxomfree »

duality_dual is on to something with the lipstick drawer. It definitely brings me back to playing adult as a child. I just got my first bunch of Possettes. This is my first experience with perfume since the smell of perfume departments always made me feel sick. Lamp black is the second one I tried on and I love it although it doesn't last in the same way as the madame x I tried. More subtle I guess? I don't think I have a very strong nose so I won't add to any of the descriptions here. I guess I respond more emotionally.
orata
mortal
mortal

Lamp Black

Post by orata »

I get mostly a dry, realistic black tea from this--maybe a Lapsang Souchong type note? There are a few supporting underpinnings that make it feel less tannic and a little "perfumey", but black tea is the only thing I can pick out (can't ID the anise or pepper that others are getting, although I'm sure they're there). It reminds me a lot of the black tea note in Blooddrop perfumes (this reminds me of Blooddrop's La Tasseographie, but less mouth-puckeringly dry). It's much more black tea-like than the perfume that was actually called "Black Tea"!
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Lamp Black

Post by Maya »

This goes on with a lovely soft black tea note mixed with the most delicious sweet spices and black pepper. My first thought: “Wow, this is beautiful.” (However, my husband on the couch about 3 feet from me said, “Ew, that's pungent,” and wrinkled his nose lol.) I don't quite get the anise that others got from the reviews I've read, however I can see how some of these notes could be construed as licorice on the right skin because the pepper and spice on my skin (when I inhale deeply) mingle together to give a licoricy vibe. (I say I don't get the anise because I have birds and they chew fresh anise, which is really sweet and this scent to me isn't that sweet although it does have sweet notes in it.) What is sweet is the spice in here (I can't quite put my finger on it, but it reminds of nutmeg before it is ground, although I almost get a gingery vibe as well) that mingles beeeauuutifully with that pepper. As it dries further, I get a slight pencil shaving note mixed with a tiny hint of warm clay, but I happen to like those notes and they round out the scent a bit from a strictly linear tea/pepper/spice mix. This is pretty drool worthy for me, and is definitely worth a try for anyone who likes spices.

Edited to add that once it had been on the skin for a couple of hours, it was sweeter (like a dash of sugar was added to the mix), but the soft black tea base held and so did the pepper and spices just much softer. This scent is amaaazing.
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!