Perpetual Motion (Valentines 2008)

Ingredients can disappear and that means that the Possets which are made from those ingredients must disappear also. These are the blends to which we have to make a fond farewell.

Moderator: Maya

puck_nc
principalities
principalities

Post by puck_nc »

"Smooth action makes you think it can go on forever, sweet and non medicinal, this is the seductive side of science. Deeply buffed wood and suave vanilla, a secret emollient and something wonderfully perfumy. Perpetual Motion will get your attention. Unisex and perpetually moving."

Origin: decant from eviltemptressdq's circle

Initial Thoughts: I am very keen to try vanilla in perfumes, since a few vanilla blends work so well on me. I wondered especially whether the combo of vanilla and woods would work on my husband.

In the Bottle: Robust, smooth, kind of smoky vanilla. My first thought is that this is incredibly well-blended.

Wet: This is very vanilla on me, at first. Pure foody vanilla.

Drydown: As suddenly as it rose, the vanilla is nearly gone. In its wake is a faint but firmly woodsy note, a workshop wood rather than a forest wood. Sawdust rather than branches. I can barely pick out the vanilla in the background. It takes a little while, but the vanilla slowly creeps back, sweetening the woods enough to take that "sawdust" impression off. But there is very little throw that I can make out...this one sticks close to my skin.

Verdict: While I have the time, I'm going to try this again and see whether it changes on me in a few days. I'm also going to try it on the husband and see if it stays true on him, and decide whether I need to get a bottle for the scent locket or if the decant will suffice.
maribouquet
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by maribouquet »

Perpetual Motion Machine is a lovely, smoky vanilla, heavy on the woods. Rich and gorgeous, and I think this would also be fantastic on a guy.
puck_nc
principalities
principalities

Post by puck_nc »

Perpetual Motion is stronger on my husband than it is on me. It goes through the morph of lots of wood and then more vanilla with the wood like it did with me, but the wood is much nicer on him...no sawdust impression.
fabienne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fabienne »

I wanted to say that there is this very strange brass note that I get with Perpetual Motion Machine. It isn't just brass, per se, it's an element of the scent of brass. It is really neat and I was not trying to create that, it just happened and I love it. Sorry, I could not help myself...:beret:
I have sniffed the Panties of Ptah!
Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos »

I am so glad I just put in an order for this one! Can't wait!:bigsmile:
Gemma
archangel
archangel

Post by Gemma »

First thoughts: the smoothest, richest vanilla Possets has released to date. Gooey, foody, rich rich rich. Reminds me of frosting. Yum!

As it dries down: soft woods peek out, grounding the scent, and giving it an extra dimension.

Finally: I have no idea how to describe how this settles on me. It's smooth, rich, gentle, woody, and just damn beautiful. I have to agree that this would probably be god-like on a man.
sfsassy
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by sfsassy »

I love this one. It smells like a rich buttercream frosting. It's been on me for about 4 hours now and I can still smell it really well too.
whiskerswhispers
principalities
principalities

Post by whiskerswhispers »

Perpetual Motion
In vial: creamy vanilla custard, spun sugar, maybe white chocolate? And sandalwood.
On skin: oh my goodness…AMBER. Glorious golden shining amber, and lots of it! In fact, this is, along with Over the Rhine, the most amber-y Possets scent I’ve come across. It’s a fabulously oriental scent, exotic and warm and with a spicy aspect that brings to mind desert sunsets. There’s a dry, almost sandy undertone of sandalwood and maybe another wood, and I think I smell saffron, pepper and cardamom too, and a sweet vanilla note. It’s mainly spicy amber, very much a sister to Over the Rhine, but whilst that one was slightly more gourmand and with more incense to it, this is more amber-dominant with woods and dry spices, and a perfumey and golden (brassy?) scent which I’ve noticed in many of the V-day scents. The scent retains that glowing amber and spice (I’m sure there’s cardamom in it now) but the drydown is much heavier on the vanilla-a deep rich warm vanilla that isn’t foody, but has a soft dusty texture like powdered vanilla sugar. It’s also much more woody, there’s a deep brown wood scent to this, maybe mahogany? This is stunningly beautiful and I am so glad I have bought a bottle unsniffed. I think I may need another bottle!
amy1238
primordial
primordial

Post by amy1238 »

This is outstandingly amazingly good! I got it on a whim, and I think I will be getting a backup bottle. I get that twinge of brass on first application, but it is gone as soon as it came. Then it is nothing but rich, custardy delicious vanilla and warm wood. And a small puff of smoke, which concerned me at first, because it was all campfire on me, but now it has blended with the woody vanilla, and it's just gorgeous. I just adore this one!
amy1238
primordial
primordial

Post by amy1238 »

Hmmm...something turns on me after about an hour or so. This may be scent locket material. I do love it until my chemistry does something mean to it.