Perpetual Motion (Valentines 2008)

Ingredients can disappear and that means that the Possets which are made from those ingredients must disappear also. These are the blends to which we have to make a fond farewell.

Moderator: Maya

Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos »

I forgot to add, that when I first put this on it is like slathering my wrist in buttercream icing. Yummy!

I think I need to age this one a little. The amber keeps trying to turn into the Potatos O'Doom, which is what my skin tries to do to amber sometimes. :confused::bigsmile:
maribouquet
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by maribouquet »

Wearing this again today, and it's almost carmel-y (maybe that's the amber others have mentioned?) - I love it even more. The woods were so strong the first time I wore it that I was thinking of passing it on to someone else, but I'm glad I kept it and gave it another chance.
Gale
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by Gale »

In the bottle, I get a gorgeous, rich vanilla. As soon as it hits my skin, a sandalwood note comes out plus that strange brassiness others have noted. It is so, so different, and so lovely! The woodsy/metallic note stops it from going over the edge into unabashed foodiness, but it is still just delicious.
whiskerwing
archangel
archangel

Post by whiskerwing »

I'll probably do a longer review later - when I've tried it a few times. But it came in just tonight and I got such a unique experience with it I had to share.

Maple syrup.

Not pure, not by itself, definitely accompanied by other smells....but maple syrup nonetheless. Maybe that's what people mean when they say something smells "amber" ?

Regardless, after it dries it's a whole new scent, and I LOOOOOVE that just barely a hint of woodsmoke.

I have to try it a few more times, but this one may become a favorite.
whiskerwing
archangel
archangel

Post by whiskerwing »

Hmmm, upon retesting, I found the syrupy-sweetness a bit overwhelming. It dies down a bit after an hour or so, and I get the woodiness peeking out, but the more I wear it, the more I wish I wasn't. I think it's because I get such a strong syrup-connection from it. Much like trying to eat pancakes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner - by the time dinner rolls around you wish you could just have a bit of unbuttered toast or something.

Sending this to a friend with a syrup-obsession. =]
kiz323
a spark
a spark

Post by kiz323 »

Oooh - i just received this one, :mail: straight from Possets and ordered it unsniffed, and i have to say i'm so glad i did! It's gorgeous!
In the bottle, like a lot of other reviews, i get strong, smooth, rich vanilla. Yum - but not at all what i was expecting. Once i slathered it on my skin, though... ooh it morphs into something absolutely beautiful. It's deep and intriguing, and i can certainly understand the 'Deeply buffed wood' part of the description. It kind of reminds me of polish, but not in a nasty cleaning product kind of way. It's tempered out by the vanilla, and a tinge of metallic (the brass note that Fabienne mentioned??) and it all muddles together and smells like really expensive furniture, but sexy furniture! Something about this blend reminds me of something in my past, but i can't put my finger on it. I wore it yesterday evening, and felt safe, comforted, but confident and womanly. I adore this blend - Fabienne you truly are masterful :flowers:
DeliberateAngel
a spark
a spark

Post by DeliberateAngel »

This smells like a mans cologne on me. It's slightly resimds me of BPAL Tombstone which I got a freebie of with an order and liked to wear anyway. It reminded of an old cedar Elvis jewelry box I got at Graceland when I was a kid. A few people pointed out it was rather manly but I wore it anyway until the sample ran out.
In the vial: It smells like dry smoke. I almost didn't want to try it.
On my skin: The vanilla is in the background and the woods are the main attraction.I still get a rather "gray" smoke note, its a "wood" I cannot place. It does indeed turn almost metallic later. It blends nicely.
This is really a nice, well blended scent and it stays very true and has nice through. It's rather dry and smokey with a hint of metallic and very raw vanilla.
On myself it is rather too manly. I fancy this would smell lovely on a man but my significant other won't wear any fragrances, so I shall not know...........
anardana
primordial
primordial

Post by anardana »

I like this one. The woods keep the vanilla from being too foody. I still find it quite sweet and foody (which isn't my favourite) but it's nice.
emilynicole
a spark
a spark

Post by emilynicole »

My first review! :bigsmile:

Perpetual Motion Machine is really striking and lovely. Wet, I smell vanilla and wood, like wood shavings or sawdust. The scent quickly rounds out and becomes smooth, like an old, richly-toned, and highly polished wooden bannister. The wood and vanilla are still there, oh yes, but they've become something greater. There is even a hint of that brass note that Fabienne mentioned, as if there are brass fixtures or details on my imaginary wooden bannister. I can see this working well on a man, but I love it on myself.
hyacinth
archangel
archangel

Post by hyacinth »

Today was supposed to be a Primavera day, but when I got to work I discovered a full sample of Perpetual Motion in my purse. I don't remember ordering or receiving it. It's as if Fabienne, with her many mystical powers, willed it there. I didn't smell wood or brass. I just smelled vanilla. But then, I'm so head over heels in love with foodie scents it seems I focus on only that. Oh, I love this one. Maybe I needed it to be slowly weaned off LaDolceVita...
:pisces: