Cleopatra

Start a new review of your Possets here or contribute to an ongoing set of reviews of this collection. To start a new review click the "New Topic" button at the end of the section. To contribute, just go into the topic you want to add to and add a new post. Thanks and have fun.

Moderator: Maya

tarayvonne
virtues
virtues

Re: Book of the Dead-Halloween 2012 reviews

Post by tarayvonne » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:09 pm

Cleopatra

Possets description:
No Egyptian collection would be complete without a paean to the original Queen of the Nile, drinker of great pearls, seductress of two high Romans, and tragic lover.My version of Cleopatra is based on ancient writings which suggested the perfumes of this fragrance loving woman. Almond and Anatolean honey, cinnamon, orange flower and the rich earthiness of henna. Very seductive and sets the perfect pitch. Perfumy, earthy floral.

I ADORE this. I've not met a Possets almond I can wear but this might just be it. It very nearly reminds me of Jergens lotion at first when I put it on without the cherry but with cinnamon instead. I don't get much honey thank goodness. I can get a hint of orange flower in the mix, which is nice with the almond. What it is doing is bothering my skin a little (which for me is super rare, I never have a skin reaction to perfumes) It's a little burny tingly due to the cinnamon or cinnamon/henna combo. But honestly I'll suffer through that because it's worth it. This is a cleverly mixed perfume. I have no idea what henna might be doing in the mix or what it would smell like. My only real complaint is that the almond doesn't hold up well to the cinnamon and it seems to be getting taken over over a bit. Still smells great though! I'm really happy to own it :e:

fabienne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fabienne » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:18 pm

I am so glad that you like Cleopatra, T! One thing about it is that almond is always a top note and fleeting. That is the nature of almond even though it can come on very strong at first, it is guaranteed to disappear rather quickly. :y: I think of it as one of its charms.
I have sniffed the Panties of Ptah!

fabienne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fabienne » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:20 pm

I am so glad that you like Cleopatra, T! One thing about it is that almond is always a top note and fleeting. That is the nature of almond even though it can come on very strong at first, it is guaranteed to disappear rather quickly. :y: I think of it as one of its charms.

As to the 7 Gates in the House of Osiris, that one would not quit on me! No kidding, I could smell it strongly after the whole day. So I am again surprised by the way that different skins get along with different perfumes. :f:
I have sniffed the Panties of Ptah!

tarayvonne
virtues
virtues

Post by tarayvonne » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:30 pm

fabienne wrote:I am so glad that you like Cleopatra, T! One thing about it is that almond is always a top note and fleeting. That is the nature of almond even though it can come on very strong at first, it is guaranteed to disappear rather quickly. :y: I think of it as one of its charms.

As to the 7 Gates in the House of Osiris, that one would not quit on me! No kidding, I could smell it strongly after the whole day. So I am again surprised by the way that different skins get along with different perfumes. :f:
Yeah I do have funky skin chemistry so I think others might be able to hold onto this better than I did. I'm sure it'll go over big with everyone because it does smell good.

Palmademallorca
mortal
mortal

Re: Cleopatra

Post by Palmademallorca » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:38 pm

On my skin Cleopatra is exactly like Mead :k:
fortunatly i love both ! :l:

puck nc
a spark
a spark

Post by puck nc » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:21 pm

Initial Thoughts: Not sure about henna and almond and I have a dubious relationship, but I was curious to see what the most famous queen of Egypt might smell like.

In the Vial: ALMOND! Very, very almond, with some hints of earthy sweetness below.

Wet: The almond blasts out and brings a hint of cinnamon and orange along with it.

Drydown: The almond fades into cinnamon and honey sweetness, but the cinnamon (I presume) doesn't seem to like my skin. It itches horribly and I'm going to have to try and wash it off as soon as I finish typing out this review.

Verdict: The perfume is very nice in its spicy warm sweetness with just a tad of earthiness, but if you are sensitive to certain kinds of cinnamon (as I apparently am), tread with caution.

gypsyjolie
principalities
principalities

Post by gypsyjolie » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:29 pm

wet: Lots of ALMOND
drying on skin: the almond dies back, and I can smell the hint of cinnamon, the beginnings of a floral scent, and a touch of something gritty/earthy like patchouli
full drydown: Ah, the floral is clearly orange blossom. It's rounding out and feminizing the scent. The cinnamon is a tingle in the background but does not overwhelm this scent, thank goodness. Also, the honey is behaving itself - sweetening but not making this scent a heavy scent. The overwhelming almond does burn off quickly, but there is still almond in the scent. The henna is a basenote, sort of like a darker skin scent, sort of outdoorsy or earthy.

This is very lush and feminine, almost a tropical scent. The floral is subtle and beautiful and airy (even for non-floral lovers like me). The almond/henna/cinnamon is really entrancing. I truly appreciate that neither the cinnamon nor the honey overwhelm the scent like they often can. This is so balanced, lightly sweet, lightly floral, lightly spicy - golden and feminine. Very sexy in a Mediterranean, sunny, natural, effortless way. Great throw to this scent.

This is a huge winner for me and I had no expectations that I would like it from the description (honey, cinnamon, and florals are usually problematic for me). Big bottle for sure!
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. ~ e e cummings

amberosmanthus
archangel
archangel

Post by amberosmanthus » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:41 am

gypsyjolie sums this up nicely for me. Except she said it much better. :)

stellamaris
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by stellamaris » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:59 am

:l: I love cinnamon, and I love Cleopatra, thankfully the almond is very undercover, we don't get along. This is sweet, almost like a lollipop.