Duat (The Underworld)

Start a new review of your Possets here or contribute to an ongoing set of reviews of this collection. To start a new review click the "New Topic" button at the end of the section. To contribute, just go into the topic you want to add to and add a new post. Thanks and have fun.

Moderator: Maya

hill78
principalities
principalities

Duat (The Underworld)

Post by hill78 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:24 pm

Sweet yet dank with the scent of sorrow, Duat is the name of the underworld of Egypt where the soul finds itself and has to start its journey to the Judgment of Anubis. Thick blackest vanilla combines with the scent of earth (not the loamy sort but more flinty), a bit papery and with the fragrance of the last bits of light and incense. Strong and a bit fraught with danger...rather thrilling. Oriental, resin, incense.

This is a gorgeous vanilla! It reminds my nose of something, but my brain is refusing to call to mind what it is. The vanilla is wonderful and strong, and I do get a hint of the "papery" aspect. My nose is refusing to find anything flinty. Now, for some reason, my nose seems to be reading something in here as a hint of berry. It is very pleasant and mild, nothing too candy sweet or astringent. I think the scent this might be reminding me of is a much sought after and very rare BPAL prototype named XCDL13. Whatever it is, I love it. This is most assuredly big bottle worthy. :pom:

wl552
powers
powers

Re: Duat (The Underworld)

Post by wl552 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:33 pm

Oo! I was put off by the earth note, but your review has me very curious! I already warned the Mr my next order was going to be crazy... with reviews like this coming in, I really think it will be! :o:

Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:12 pm

wl552 wrote:I already warned the Mr my next order was going to be crazy...
Bwahahahaha! I did the same thing. I wonder how many other "others" were warned. *giggles
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!

hill78
principalities
principalities

Post by hill78 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:57 am

wl552 wrote:Oo! I was put off by the earth note, but your review has me very curious! I already warned the Mr my next order was going to be crazy... with reviews like this coming in, I really think it will be! :o:
Yeah, the flinty part was what kept me from ordering a big bottle right off the bat, but I should've just jumped in. I did test again last night, and I got a hint more of the "flinty" aspect while wet, but it receeded very quickly into the vanilla. I definitely would not let it frighten you away, this is a gorgeous vanilla!

wl552
powers
powers

Post by wl552 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:13 pm

I've got it on my list now. ^.^ I can't wait until I can order! eeergh! :gnome:

hill78
principalities
principalities

Post by hill78 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:15 pm

wl552 wrote:I've got it on my list now. ^.^ I can't wait until I can order! eeergh! :gnome:
I'd be happy to send you a decant if you'd like. Just PM me if you'd like some :)

tarayvonne
virtues
virtues

Post by tarayvonne » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:38 pm

This smells almost like some type of candy to my nose, with a flintiness to it when I first applied it. It very nearly reminded me of grape bubblegum that's been chewed awhile, big league chew mixed with some sort of industrial oil, lol.

But that passed and I have to say this is really pretty. My daughter walked in and said "Wow what smells so good?" After it dried down it's a gorgeous sweet vanilla with a trace of berry/grape, trace of flint and a hint of handmade paper. If this is what the underworld smells like it can't be a bad place :)

Please don't be put off by the bubblegum/oil association because this is just in the wet phase and it goes away extremely fast. I want to roll in a vat of this stuff right now after it's sat on my skin for awhile :)

gypsyjolie
principalities
principalities

Post by gypsyjolie » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:21 pm

This smells like vanilla taffy plus a stone-ish note. It comes off as a bit candy/fruity-ish for the fist five minutes on my skin, then it smoothes out into a deep, soft vanilla with a sophisticated edge from the cool dry stone or papery (some of you have said flint, but I don't get a metallic smell) undertone. This is beautiful, long-lasting, vanilla that will appeal to many people. I appreciate that it is sweet but not caramel/brown sugar-y and it really is not foody at all despite the whomping amount of vanilla in it.

(in full drydown, this smells a lot like BPAL's discontinued Black Opal in its vanilla/stone combination - except with better throw! and a slightly warmer, more musky/hazy vanilla. Love this!)
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. ~ e e cummings

Narcisse
mortal
mortal

Post by Narcisse » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:33 pm

I definitely do not get a stone or even paper scent from this one, I do get the berry note. The first time I put it on I got grape gum and now it is more like a Luden's Cherry cough drop for the first 3 hrs. This is not a maraschino cherry which is almondy, it is more like a cherry syrup and black vanilla is playing more like a chocolate. It does eventually wear down into a lovely and subtle vanilla phase, but yes there is a red berry undercurrent that is playing the main stage for a while. I had a similar issue with Arcturus when I tried that one, it went all fake candy fruit on me, and only the next day would be vanilla like. I think with some time and aging it will deepen the vanilla and the berry note will diminish. I don't know what is causing that note really and it is not like Vick's cough syrup which has the menthol core, but like Torani syrups that you would put in soda or sno balls. If you loved Arcturus I think this would be a great addition to your vanilla wardrobe but berry haters start with a decant.