The Asp

Start a new review of your Possets here or contribute to an ongoing set of reviews of this collection. To start a new review click the "New Topic" button at the end of the section. To contribute, just go into the topic you want to add to and add a new post. Thanks and have fun.

Moderator: Maya

Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Asp

Post by Maya » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:07 am

Possets description: "A strong and simple fragrance which is a fragrance wardrobe staple. The amazing fragrance of gardenia with a particularly earthy vetivert and patchouli, and naturally fig, for the little serpent was said to have been smuggled into Cleopatra in a basket of figs."

In the bottle: Hmmmm, that's interesting. I'm picking up the gardenia (more of a green gardenia than a creamy one), a touch of the vetiver (it's not as dry as I was expecting), the earthiness of the patchouli, and the sweetness of the figs. I was a little unsure about this scent because it's a departure from what I normally look for, but I took a gamble on the fig and gardenia. There's a very animalic note in here (not furry, more like a deep jasmine) that I'm somewhat surprised about. It's a little off-putting at the moment, but that makes me think that on the skin this will be either amazing or totally not. :r:

On my skin: It goes on as what I smell in the bottle, but more so. Then it immediately begins to shift down a bit and change. Oooooh the vetiver is rising to the top here--more dry and grassy. The sweetness that was lurking underneath is also coming to the top. The animalic note is fading quickly, and this is heading straight into very pretty territory. The fig is more of a dry (black mission fig) note at this point, and the way it's mingling with the other notes is a perfect blend.

Oh my, there it shifts again. It's smoothing out and turning away from the dry notes. The way this is settling right now, it feels like these notes were made to play together and I'm wondering why we don't see these notes more often mixed together. Ahhhh now there's the sweet and creamy gardenia.

This feels right now like a perfect bridal scent--although a little bit stronger and deeper than many brides seem to look for. This is coming across as a very deep white gardenia, with the other notes licking up the stem and wrapping around the blossom. I can see why Fabienne said this would be a wardrobe staple because I'm also seeing this being a go-to scent when wearing a little black dress.

I think this is my favorite gardenia scent I have ever smelled. Some gardenia scents are just much too heady, and although this one is heady there's a softness to it that keeps it from being over the top. Having said that, if you are prone to headaches from white flowers, you might want to dab this one on gently at first to gauge how you'll respond.

I am *loving* the way this smooths out, so if for some reason you don't like what you smell in the bottle, DO give this one a chance on your skin. The longer this rides on my skin, the more I'm really loving it. I probably wouldn't wear this one every day, but I would definitely wear this one for occasions where I needed to feel classy and beautiful and totally woman (a woman in pearls and heels and "done up" just right).

Final verdict: in the bottle, a bit off-putting. On the skin: Oh My. Pretty, pretty, pretty! Mmmmm!
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!

gypsyjolie
principalities
principalities

Re: The Asp

Post by gypsyjolie » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:11 pm

Oh yeah , this is a grand white floral. The throw is big, and immediately it's too much for non-floral loving me.

I can smell the touch of vetiver under the gardenia, but I don't get the fig or patchouli at all. But I had to was it off very quickly :( so maybe it would have come out further with wear.

Lovely if you can wear big white floral scents! It seems almost dewy, very feminine, and quite mature. It's almost fecund, like heavy summer in the South.
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. ~ e e cummings

amberosmanthus
archangel
archangel

Post by amberosmanthus » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:52 am

Yep, Maya just about said it all. I love this scent. It is a moonlit stroll in the deep south with the night blooming jasmine and gardenia heavy in the humid summer evening air. I also get the black fig and the patchouli which adds some earthiness without screaming its presence. It makes me think of New Orleans - glamorous with dark mystical underpinnings. A scent to wear to some grand evening event. I may just have to add this one to my collection.

allegro_barbaro
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by allegro_barbaro » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:12 pm

This one called to me from the bottle when I took a sniff. It is indeed a white floral on immediate application but I seem to detect more neroli than gardenia. It morphs very quickly and as the floral aspect recedes, an almost leathery note appears with the vetiver. This must be the musk! Funnily enough the drydown is fruity and smells more like peach than fig to me. I seem to be getting all the notes wrong but hey, it's all subjective.

Overall, this seems to be along the lines of a Tom Ford or Serge Lutens fragrance. It is deep and base note heavy but with an expensive smelling top note that ties it all together. I wouldn't be suprised if I sniffed this one on someone and they told me it cost over €100. Indeed I think this might be my new favourite!!!
"Look like the innocent flower, but be th' serpent under't"

Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:27 pm

allegro_barbaro wrote:This one called to me from the bottle when I took a sniff. It is indeed a white floral on immediate application but I seem to detect more neroli than gardenia. It morphs very quickly and as the floral aspect recedes, an almost leathery note appears with the vetiver. This must be the musk! Funnily enough the drydown is fruity and smells more like peach than fig to me. I seem to be getting all the notes wrong but hey, it's all subjective.

Overall, this seems to be along the lines of a Tom Ford or Serge Lutens fragrance. It is deep and base note heavy but with an expensive smelling top note that ties it all together. I wouldn't be suprised if I sniffed this one on someone and they told me it cost over €100. Indeed I think this might be my new favourite!!!
I have a feeling this one isn't going to make the cut, and I'm definitely going to have to get a back-up bottle of this. I agree, it smells rich like money (as well as rich in notes).
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!