Apep--The Snake God

Start a new review of your Possets here or contribute to an ongoing set of reviews of this collection. To start a new review click the "New Topic" button at the end of the section. To contribute, just go into the topic you want to add to and add a new post. Thanks and have fun.

Moderator: Maya

Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Apep--The Snake God

Post by Maya » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:47 pm

Possets description: "Elegant and dark clove and thick patchouli are wound around a core of a home made chypre which is a wonderful dry and dusty floor upon which to build the rest of it all. Oriental, dark, resin."

As soon as I opened the top to this one, it grabbed me. It reminds me of the "tone" I get from Theodora, while being a totally different kind of scent. In the bottle, I can pick out the notes if I really pick at them, but the whole is such a beautiful blend I don't want to pick out the notes (if that makes sense). I just want to sniff and smile, sniff and smile.

On my skin: Oh. My. Word. It still reminds me in tone of Theodora: the deep beauty, with a touch of sweetness, and an almost caramelized essence (without having any caramel notes). The clove in this is soft--almost baked to my nose. Not fresh and bracing, but soft and rounded. The chypre in this makes me think of the chypre "tone" I love in Cri de Couer and Silver Chypre. The patchouli in this reminds me a bit of Fabienne's oude--could be dark and dense, but it ends up being more lovely and elegant than dark. As it dries, all I can think is: This is gorgeous.

As it dries further, it softens and opens the same way Silver Chypre (and, to a point, Cri de Couer) does. There's almost a smokiness to this (reminiscent of the smoky aspect of Gypsy Grave and far removed from Joan of Arc, and makes me think that may be part of the clove note coming through).

It's not wispy or light as it starts out, but the way the notes play around together, when I close my eyes and sniff, I see a woman in a soft silver floaty dress walking through mist or fog. It has a mysterious and alluring quality, but a little smoky and edgy--the way not knowing what could be coming through fog can be edgy. And it also has a snuggly cuddly aspect the way Silver Chypre is to me.

This is beautiful, and in its own way very stunning. Another Fabienne masterpiece.
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!

hill78
principalities
principalities

Re: Apep--The Snake God

Post by hill78 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:55 pm

Arg! Now I wish I had ordered this one! Perhaps I should email Fabienne and see if she can add a bottle to my Cambienne order.

hill78
principalities
principalities

Post by hill78 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:36 pm

Apep is delicious! When wet it smells very, very similar to Morgan le Fay on my skin. Once it has had about 15 to 20 minutes to dry on my skin, the Chypre begins to come forward and Apep begins to differentiate himself from Morgan. I don't get the moist gingerbread scent that I do from Morgan, Apep is more dry in the finish, and the clove backs off more than in Morgan. If I had to choose between the two, I would likely choose Apep, although Morgan is delightful when I want to smell edible :)

amberosmanthus
archangel
archangel

Post by amberosmanthus » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:02 am

Apep is my favorite of this collection. This is blended so seamlessly and it is gorgeous from beginning to end. Now I have to try him side by side with Theodora and Morgan to see if I really need all three. This will be hard to resist though.

Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:31 am

amberosmanthus wrote:Now I have to try him side by side with Theodora and Morgan to see if I really need all three.
Of course you do. See how easy I made that?

:f:

Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:29 pm

I am going to have to slow my bottle consumption of this one. It has been so perfect (between my beloved Gingerbaby) in this cold weather we've been having. I love how this one morphs. I REALLY wish this one had gotten more love. It's just...just wonderful.

Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:22 pm

Dear Apep, how do I love you? Let me count the ways.

I CANNOT get enough of this one. I was going through my bottles tonight, giving them the sniff test (not looking at labels) before going to a party. As soon as I sniffed this one, I knew it was what I had to wear. This should be a permanent. It should. It should. It should. *Kicks feet and pouts

I love the smoky sweetness. I love the touch of spice. I love love love this one. I think if I had to pare all of my bottles down to five (notice, I can't just go to one), this would be in that list. That list includes L'eau D'Hiver by Malle and a few other (in my opinion) high end niche fragrances. This is right up there with them. Totally different in feel, but absolutely "perfect" for me.

In a lot of ways, even though the notes are different, it reminds me of Tea for Two by L'Artisan in the way it weaves smoke and sweet and spice together. I'm so sad I didn't get more bottles of this. :gaah:

Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Post by Petticoats » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:25 pm

Apep is extraordinary! I was fortunate enough to get a decant from the wonderful Emma--just not fortunate enough to have discovered Possets in time to get a full bottle. I can't wait for a retour, because this has shot to the top five of my favorite Possets. I don't know how this didn't get voted into the permanent collection!

First impression: Resiny but warm, a golden chypre... and I do love chypres. Spice comes out as it dries down, and it starts heating up—a lot.

Drying down further, burnt sugar emerges to sweeten it further, plus a hot, almost burning note. This is absolutely ravishing! I want moar!
Learn about me and my books at www.amandadewees.com.

Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:40 pm

Every time I wear this one, I have to fight feeling a little bitter. I really think this is the One that Got Away. This is one of my top five ever favorite fragrances. Today is gray and misty and nasty and this is the one I turned to (and I'm just down right sad that I couldn't order another bottle right away).

I love Apep. Love it. Will love it forever and ever and ever.

*Sad sigh (but not too sad because I sniffed my shirt where traces are lingering and it made me happy that I still had some)

hill78
principalities
principalities

Post by hill78 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:13 pm

Don't be sad Maya! There's always retour, right?! Just add it to your mental list of things you must have in the next retour :)