Natron

Start a new review of your Possets here or contribute to an ongoing set of reviews of this collection. To start a new review click the "New Topic" button at the end of the section. To contribute, just go into the topic you want to add to and add a new post. Thanks and have fun.

Moderator: Maya

Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Natron

Post by Maya » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:22 pm

Possets description: "The ingredient which was essential for the embalming process, natron could be found in abundance in Egypt. Dry, cold, deadly and sophisticated, there is nothing of the adolescent about this blend. Wormwood and sandalwood slither past each other, a bright pinch of lemon zest, a coat of sage to remind us of the desert, salt of lavender completes the picture and the whole blend is strong but subtle, heady, and sexy as hell."

In the decant bottle: Lavender, a touch of the sage (making this come across as very dry), a bit of wood.

On my skin: Mmmmmm. I get the sage, the sandalwood, and another note that I'm taking as the wormwood. As it begins to dry, the lemon zest comes forward a bit. The lavender does come across as salty, and it holds all of this together in a solid base.

As it dries further: This could come across as unisex and I think that's partly due to how dry this seems to be. This has little sweetness to it, but the notes are beautifully blended together like a very good dry wine. It has depth and a rich cast to it, while retaining the dryness of sand at the same time. When I close my eyes and sniff, I get a very cool beige in my mind--like the color of sandstone walls tucked in the shade of sunset in winter. The lavender in this is beautiful and blends with the sage in a gorgeous way. I think the wood actually helps to warm this up a bit--the sandalwood doesn't seem quite as dry as the lavender or sage, and the note I'm taking as wormwood gives this a little more succulence as well.

This is definitely not femme, but there's a deep deep beauty to this one that I was not expecting.

The longer it's on my arm, the more depth it seems to have. I keep thinking power. This scent has power in it. Strength. But beauty, too. I hesitate to use the word regal, but there's an element to this that makes me think of the power that exists behind a throne. Compelling and beautiful.

Edited to add that hours in, this dries down to a very aromatic fougere type scent on me. It's almost a bit barber shop (ish), but smoother and a lot more mellow.
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!

gypsyjolie
principalities
principalities

Re: Natron

Post by gypsyjolie » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:02 pm

wet: quite nose-clearing blast of lavender and sage and something woody

drying on skin: This is a refreshing, herbal, non-sweet scent. It smells like a spa scent. The lemon and sage are bright and cleansing, verging on harsh. The sandalwood is a nice soft counterpoint. The lavender fades quickly, and I do smell something salty. It's like a desert-y dry aquatic.

full drydown: Thankfully for me, the sandalwood continues to come forward and soften the sage, and the lemon dies back. I don't know what wormwood smells like, I think I assumed it'd be a anise-type scent since wormwood is what they made absinthe out of, but I don't get anise either.

This is dry, clean, and clearing. It finishes to mostly a sandalwood/sage scent that would be nice in the yoga studio or for meditation. The touch of salt makes me think of sweaty skin after a wonderful yoga class, with that quietness of soul you get.
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. ~ e e cummings

Boudicca

Post by Boudicca » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:14 am

The whole lemon/sage/lavender thing had me thinking this might be too herbal for me. Not a problem. It's very nice. So, if you had a similar fear, get over it.
Sorry, I am now at the "nice, I like" or "hmm, not like so much" point.

No more "reviews" today!
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds

reverend squid
a spark
a spark

Post by reverend squid » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:08 am

When I first put this on I didn't expect to like it..it's very dry and herbal in the vial and stuff like that doesn't tend to work on me. Fresh on you get a big blast of sage and lavender, and I'll be damned if it doesn't feel salty! If you had asked me I wouldn't have been able to say what salt smelled like, but yep, salty is what it is.

The weird thing is, I don't really know what changes this to lovely. It just sorta blends together. I don't know if it's the sandalwood (could well be), but it gets softer, smoother and sweeter. It doesn't lose the dryness or the herbalness (is that even a word?), it just gets...better. :l: It didn't last an immensely long time on me (3 hours max), but I'll be getting a bottle anyway. I'm happy to slather!

gypsyjolie
principalities
principalities

Post by gypsyjolie » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:35 pm

I wore this to yoga class twice this week and I have to say that I am totally in love with it. It's great for centering and staying focused. It's also a pleasant clean soft scent that won't annoy the other yogis event when you are hot and sweating.
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. ~ e e cummings