Anubis

Start a new review of your Possets here or contribute to an ongoing set of reviews of this collection. To start a new review click the "New Topic" button at the end of the section. To contribute, just go into the topic you want to add to and add a new post. Thanks and have fun.

Moderator: Maya

gypsyjolie
principalities
principalities

Anubis

Post by gypsyjolie » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:07 pm

Darkest of the dark for the dire Judge of the Dead. Jackel headed Anubis is at once super sophisticated and elegant but so very playfully appealing that you forget he is made up almost entirely of heavy base notes of the richest variety. Thick dark coffee touches a small part of the blend, a good thwack of aged rich patchouli, lashing of fig syrup (not the kind that you eat, the kind that you smell), all mixed up with a lovely incense. Resinous, oriental, dark.

wet: black coffee and earth
on skin: oh yum! the bitter coffee melds with the deep purple richness and slight sweetness of the fig in a lovely way. The earthiness must be the patchouli and I can smell that in the throw more than up close. This scent is deep and rich and regal.
full drydown: Fig fans will love this, as will coffee fans. It is not gourmand at all, despite those being food items. This is thick and heady and soft and smells like a velvet that is so deep purple it is almost black. The incense adds to tbe softness of the scent, and the patchouli makes it stick around a very long time. It's dark and beautifully nuanced - slightly earthy, slightly fruity, rich. This is a little bit Goth, very sexy, and yet snuggly at the same time.

Surprise winner! Coffee blends often go wrong on me, and this one does not. The bitterness of the coffee is balanced with the deep rich fruity fig without ever becoming a sweet scent.

This has decent throw, incredible longevity, and will be wonderful in fall and winter with sweaters and boots. Bottle worthy for SURE.
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. ~ e e cummings

Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Anubis

Post by Maya » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:52 pm

This is going on my "try by itself" list for tomorrow. I was so wowed by my first test, and I really want to get it alone for a while. I'm the same way with coffee (so many coffee scents have turned on me), but this one has such a great depth to it--the way all the notes mingle together. I have a feeling this one is going to be slipping itself into the cart for me soon. :r:
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!

hill78
principalities
principalities

Post by hill78 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:12 pm

Is the coffee extremely bitter initially? That's something that can put me off with coffee scents, if the coffee is too stong and bitter to start.

gypsyjolie
principalities
principalities

Post by gypsyjolie » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:14 pm

It smells like fresh ground really dark roast coffee, a bit bitter, for no more than a few minutes before the scent melds. It's far stronger than the coffee in Pauline.
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. ~ e e cummings

hill78
principalities
principalities

Post by hill78 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:35 pm

gypsyjolie wrote:It smells like fresh ground really dark roast coffee, a bit bitter, for no more than a few minutes before the scent melds. It's far stronger than the coffee in Pauline.
Thanks for the input! I love the smell of fresh ground dark roast, I may have to try this one!

Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:40 am

In the decant: coffee grounds mixed with sweetness (reminds me a hair of the sweetness of feral) and incense.

On my skin: Mmmm rich fresh coffee grounds, black mission figs, and under it all is the lurking incense and patchoui.

As it begins to dry: the coffee and sweetness goes a little funky (it did the first time I tried it, too) for a minute, and I think that's the patchouli beginning to step forward, but then the notes begin to shift around a bit. Here the coffee begins to smooth out and the fig's sweetness rises up some more.

As it dries further: the coffee begins to fade into the background and provide a nice steady base for this scent. The incense rises up a little bit more here and begins to turn this into a layered scent far beyond just "mere" coffee and fig. The patchouli doesn't really yell out to me in this blend, but when I sniff my skin, I can see it there laying the groundwork and being the workhouse behind the scenes making this a little earthy around the edges (not like earth as in ground or soil, but earthy as in rooted and not airy).

The way the coffee and fig mix together is really amazing to me. I never would have put these two together, but they are really compelling and seem to be yinning and yanging each other in ways I never would have expected.

After about ten minutes in, this scent seems to finally be coming into its own and stretching out for the long haul. The coffee is a solid steady base, the fig gives a lovely sweet rounding out to this (sometimes almost coming across as candied), the patchouli grits it up a little bit so it's not too smooth, and the incense brings in a touch of lightness to keep the heavy notes from being too much.

I could see both men and women wearing this, although I would not necessarily call this unisex as (for me) it leans a bit more feminine than masculine with the sweetness of the fig.

This is continuing to be a compelling scent to me. My brain keeps stuttering over the fact that coffee is in this, but every time I sniff it it's very clear this scent would be missing a huge component without that coffee touch.

I'm still trying to decide if I want a bottle. It's not quite what I would normally wear, but it's so interesting and keeps my nose wanting to sniff out the spots where I applied it that I'm very tempted to grab a bottle just because it is so different and compelling and interesting.
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!

mina
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by mina » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:01 am

Maya, your review of Anubis is wonderful. This is what I would like to write if my English was better.
I was afraid of the coffee in this one, I don't usually like perfume with coffee.
The coffe is strong at the beginning but then it fades in the background. You can't really smell it but it would be missing if it was not there.

amberosmanthus
archangel
archangel

Post by amberosmanthus » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:48 pm

I was so excited to try Anubis. But I've found a Posset that just doesn't like my skin. This starts out sharp, dark coffee, then a sour note develops and as it blends together it begins to smell like some kind of linoleum glue (I'm not kidding). Sorry Anubis I really wanted to love you. I'm glad this is so lovely on other people. ;)

reverend squid
a spark
a spark

Post by reverend squid » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:25 am

I'm really waffling on this one. It starts off lovely on me..I get dark coffee and something that reads as almost orangey, to my nose (might be the fig, I can't usually smell BPAL fig at all, but this might well be different), with woodiness underneath. Funnily enough, it doesn't feel Egyptian at all, but it totally reminds me of the smell of the house I stayed in when I went on holiday to Italy. That would be enough to have me buy it on its own, plus I was told how good I smelled by one of my co workers. Also, coffee scents usually go horribly bitter on me, and this one doesn't.

But....it fades so quickly! I put a TON of it on when I tried it at work, and it had still become invisible after a couple of hours, even on my hair. But it's so nice! But it fades so quickly! Aaaaargh!!

It might get stronger with age, right? Someone help me here!

:o:

woodenmango
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by woodenmango » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:59 am

In the bottle and on initial application this is very headshop-y to me. Not sure if I ever really sense the coffee but on the drydown I get fig and incense and something woody. Not alot of staying power but I really like it! geuss it just means i will nead to slather.