The Mistress of Trembling

Start a new review of your Possets here or contribute to an ongoing set of reviews of this collection. To start a new review click the "New Topic" button at the end of the section. To contribute, just go into the topic you want to add to and add a new post. Thanks and have fun.

Moderator: Maya

Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Mistress of Trembling

Post by Maya » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:59 pm

Possets description: "Licorice, anise, the kiss of black oude--things of the darkness which evoke an idea of fear unto death. Surely the wandering soul must have felt great anxiety at the coming trial, that is the inspiration for The Mistress of Trembling. One of the guardians of the Thickly musky with an indefinable kick like a kick in the darkness. Really forward and not shy at all."

In the decant: Anise with a back end of licorice and an almost musty oude.

On my skin: This *almost* comes across as a pine sol edge when it first goes on the skin--bracing and a bit sharp. Then, it begins to smooth out and soften while playing heavy on the licorice and anise. The oude stays present as a base--very evident, but holding the other notes forward.

As it dries: This softens and smooths out even more while retaining the notes mentioned above. There is very little sweetness to this scent. It's very dry on me, and comes across as dessert heat without smelling like the dessert. It's bracing, gives a solid wallop, and keeps me sniffing around to see how those notes are going to continue their journey. The black oude intrigues me because it's very obviously oude, but comes across as almost mushroomy/musty without feeling musty. It definitely has a darker feel than regular oude--and (for me) seems to be a touch less moist/succulent.

As Fabienne noted, this is definitely not shy at all, although when it dries down, it softens and opens up some more (reminds me of an anise pod in some ways--the woodiness, the spicy edge with a hint of sweet without being sweet). I keep wanting to add just a touch of sweetness to this, but think that might turn this into a black licorice scent which isn't what I want. However, I'm still wanting a little "something" to go with this one.

My mini review from before still stands. (The Mistress of Trembling has a dark and sexy soul and the reason folks tremble before her is both out of fear and want. Heavy on the licorice and anise (gorgeous!), and the oude plays a supporting role under it all bringing in an *almost* musty note, but not quite. I so want a black leather cat suit and a whip just to wear with this.) I'd like to see more of these notes in some other fragrances. Mmmm!
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!

mina
preternatural being
preternatural being

Re: The Mistress of Trembling

Post by mina » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:23 am

I was waiting your review of this one because when you review a perfum all I have to say it's " yes, that's it, I feel like Maya" :r:
I don't have the mushroomy, musty felling that you describe but your description is very accurate. Despite the licorice there is nothing sweet in this perfume.
She is really the mistress of trembling.

Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:09 am

mina wrote:I was waiting your review of this one because when you review a perfum all I have to say it's " yes, that's it, I feel like Maya" :r:
I don't have the mushroomy, musty felling that you describe but your description is very accurate. Despite the licorice there is nothing sweet in this perfume.
She is really the mistress of trembling.
LOL. It's always fun to me to see who gets similar notes from fragrances. :a:

I agree, this one is very aptly named. :d:
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!

euterpe
a spark
a spark

Post by euterpe » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:14 pm

Definitely agree with Maya as well. :g: Anise is one of my favorite scents- I'll go ahead and order a bottle of anything with anise listed without question. When I first put this one on, I was worried b/c it smelled a bit musty (I'm guessing this is due to the black oude??) but as it dried it turned into a gorgeous, dry anise with a woody background. I love dry, woody and herbal scents and this one certainly fits the bill - not too much throw, which is good since it is such a strong, unique smell.