Liquid Tinsel

Treading on the dark side but sweeping by with sugar, the Dark Revel Yules were a study in contrasts but with an emphasis on the thick beauty.

Moderator: Maya

hill78
principalities
principalities

Liquid Tinsel

Post by hill78 »

I wasn't certain how this would turn out for me. Evergreen notes can sometimes be too overpowering, and sugar can be a bit iffy. Thankfully the fir is tied in to the mint here, and it does not become overpowering. The mint and fir are blended with a lovely vanilla sugar. I am very pleased that this is a vanilla type sugar note, not a more brown or caramelized sugar. This is a beautifully snowy, refreshing blend. I could easily see wearing this in the heat of summer, as well as the cool winter months. This turned out to be a win!
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Liquid Tinsel

Post by Maya »

Possets description: "This classic blend sports fir and heaps of sugar, a hint of peppermint. Tinsel brings out the sweetest part of each of the players. You can't help but smile when you smell it. Oh so of the season. Refreshing yet comforting, it reminds me of the happiest of all holiday memories all rolled into one."

In the bottle: Deeply sugared mint with a base of fir and a touch of what seems like vanilla sweetness.

On my skin: The mint really pops here at first application. Nose-tingling and bright. The sugar slides in under it, and the fir provides a solid base. Today, it doesn't remind me so much of Luminaria, but it does feel like a kissing cousin to Luminaria in the mint and smooth vanilla riding underneath.

As it dries: The mint is staying steady much longer than I expected. The fir is a nice balance to this and gives it a nicely Christmasy edge. Under it all, the sugar continues to keep this from being dry, and the vanilla is still peeking through.

Edited to add that once it was on the skin for about an hour, the vanilla became the dominant note (and added a little plastic, but not so much I had to wipe it off), the mint dropped down completely, and the fir became a whisper soft base.

I have a feeling this is going to dry down to something soft and delicious and totally comforting. (More editing: It was a bit less snuggly than I expected, but still very nice. There's something about it that reminds me of a really good lotion I used to wear, but I can't remember what it was. I loved the smell of it--creamy, cooling, and soothing--and this definitely does that.)

This is very much Christmas in a bottle for me, but I also can see this being lovely on a horrible humid day because of how it comes across as being so cooling and serene.

Mmmmm!
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
Floria
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by Floria »

I risked a big bottle of this un-sniffed: sweet evergreens are one of my favorite scent families, and none of the notes have a history of going bad on me. It does, in fact, smell like evergreen, bracing mint, and vanilla sugar. The sugary aspect keeps the bracing fir and mint from turning into cough drops, but doesn't take over, which was my only worry about this - some of Possets' sweet scents turn into hard-core vanilla on me, which isn't unpleasant, but I don't want to smell like All Vanilla All The Time.

On the dry-down, it smells a bit like The High-Born Damsel but brisker and not as rich. This smells, to me, like one of those clear winter days when the sunlight sparkles on the frost, but it would also be nice as a cooling scent in the summer.
gypsyjolie
principalities
principalities

Post by gypsyjolie »

wet: very bracing mint and some balsam fir

drying on skin: This sweetens up almost immediately. There is something faintly sugar cookie-esqe about the "sugar" aspect of this scent... like there is a warm vanilla aspect to the sweetness. It reminds me a bit of the vanilla/saffron in Ponder. The minty (spearminty, cooling, almost menthol edge) does burn off fairly quickly, allowing the evergreen fir scent to be more noticeable.

full drydown: Pretty, soft, silvery, vanilla-fir. A warmer vanilla than I expected, with lots of the cool evergreen and mint. It's a holiday scent but very delicate and cozy and I'd wear this even in the summer. I think the cooling aspects of the scent would be nice in the summer. The throw is quite good. This is a feminine scent because it is very sweet. The fir keeps it from smelling like candy, and makes you think of walking in a sweetened snowy forest. Very pretty!

I am definitely ordering a bottle of this.
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. ~ e e cummings
lulu
archangel
archangel

Post by lulu »

I love love love the Possets fir note and this is a total win on me!!

In the bottle I can smell sweet vanilla icecream. You get a cooling blast of peppermint and evergreen at first, with the sweet vanilla underneath- what an unbelievable combination! (Usually blends like this are ruined by the addition of chocolate :evil: )The peppermint dies away quickly leaving the comforting vanilla cut through with the icy fir. This is like The Star's sweet cousin and I must get a huge bottle because I'm willing to apply frequently to get that initial blast! Love it :hrt:: :hrt::
amberosmanthus
archangel
archangel

Post by amberosmanthus »

I'm loving the combination of vanilla and mint in this blend. The posts above have already said it all but I'll repeat it anyway. ;) It starts with minty evergreen and sugar cookies baking in the background. As it dries down, the sugar cookies take over with that bit of evergreen hovering around the edges after the mint has faded. Very winter wonderland. Somehow refreshing and cozy at the same time. :hrt::
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

I had my mother smell this one when she was over here for Christmas. Her immediate response, "Wow." Then she said, "It even has a metallic edge. How did she do that?"

At first, I was like, "Huh?"

But, the more I sniff this one (in the bottle--not on the skin), I can see what Mom was saying, and I realize it was a note I was trying to nail down when I first sniffed it, but I couldn't quite get it. The way the mint and fir come together create an almost tinselled note. It's not really metallic, but it's like a loose and liquid metallic string. It's brilliant.
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
AthenaRose
mortal
mortal

Post by AthenaRose »

The first time i smelled this all i could smell was the mint. (travel shock?) Now i smell more evergreen trees with a bit of mint and a sweetness. Like a tree covered in candy canes. And it does sparkle a bit. :)
Minh Scent
principalities
principalities

Post by Minh Scent »

This starts out with a strong blast of mint and then the fir comes through, followed quickly by a very pretty vanilla. It is both refreshing and cozy . The vanilla has a sugary quality, but not too sweet. Indeed , it reminds me of candy canes on a Christmas tree. It is on the full bottle list for the next retour.