Yule 2012-Dark Revels ASSORTED Reviews

Treading on the dark side but sweeping by with sugar, the Dark Revel Yules were a study in contrasts but with an emphasis on the thick beauty.

Moderator: Maya

tarayvonne
virtues
virtues

Yule 2012-Dark Revels ASSORTED Reviews

Post by tarayvonne »

This will need moved probably but I thought I'd start it up now that people are getting in their first orders.

I just got in Lovechild-Sweetbaby.

Possets Description:
"Vanilla concentrated with lavender and amber. A simple but unforgettable gorgeous blend. Sometimes the most fetching combinations are just all about the quality of the ingredients, and this is one of them. Would be fabulous caught in your favorite sweater."

This is rather Heavenly, snuggly, child-like and innocent. The softest, gentlest non-harsh or too herbal lavender mixes with vanilla cake batter and dreamy amber. Quite simple, very light. Somehow this reminds me big time of The Scent of Angels but with a hint of Lavender mixed in. I feel it's a bit too light for me but it is very nice anyway-I'm just more into heavier scents. Lavender Pepys will still be my ultimate lavender for now but this does smell more like lavender whereas Lavender Pepys tends to smell almost coco-like. The lavenders here are different for sure.

Anyone who loved the Scent of Angels should rush to buy this because they are similar in feel. This would be great for times of stress, or to induce a good night's sleep. And great should you have small children who would be snuggled up to your chest because it is light and comforting and won't gag them :) Lovely :)
hill78
principalities
principalities

Re: Yule 2012-Dark Revels Reviews

Post by hill78 »

Sweetbaby is, indeed, a lovely blend! In comparison to Lavender Pepys this is a somewhat drier blend (there is still sweetness here, but the amber gives it an almost powdery quality) without the musky quality I get from Lavender Pepys. I love a good lavender blend, they make me feel comfy and peaceful, so I certainly have room in my collection for both of these (and others to boot). I think they are different enough that anyone could find room for both.
mina
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by mina »

Delish

Non stop fun with coconut. Here I explore a woodier part of the coconut which makes this a more grown up blend than a simple foodie. There is a true loveliness to a good coconut blend and this one is put together with that staple of winter, the beautiful "incense" balsam pine. there is also a small amount of pineapple which is a sweetener for the balsam with some of the same elements shared by both. a very unusual blend but one which is a true gourmandy.

I don't smell the pineapple in this one. It's not an usual coconut, it's like smelling the woodier (and wet) part of the coconut but the perfum itself is not woody.
It's not a tropical or fruity scent but when I smell it, I can see myself in a faraway island on the beach watching the sunset.
hill78
principalities
principalities

Post by hill78 »

Just some quicky reviews, since these will all probably still need a bit of rest from Travel.

Liquid Tinsel: Very refreshing (like a chilly breeze) mint and evergreen over a lovely vanilla snow in the bottle. Haven't tested it on skin yet, as I started in on some others first and didn't want to overwhelm my sniffer.

Black River: A LOT of incense initially. A bit more masculine than I was expecting. I've had it on about 1.5 hours, and I am finally able to pick out the vanilla-wood base. I'm hoping that after some rest the vanilla wood will become more prominent.

Femme Fatale: Wow! Gorgeous oude and wonderful grey musk. I love this grey musk note. I've never encountered it elsewhere. One of my favorite notes from Possets. Very feminine and sexy blend. Wet the oude is in the spotlight, but the musk comes forward once dry. The throw from this one is just gorgeous.

Silver Amber: This needs to become permanent. I'd place a vote for it right now. Gorgeous amber, backed by that beautiful silver base. What more is there to say? Glorious.
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

hill78 wrote:Black River: A LOT of incense initially. A bit more masculine than I was expecting. I've had it on about 1.5 hours, and I am finally able to pick out the vanilla-wood base.

Femme Fatale: Wow! Gorgeous oude and wonderful grey musk... Wet the oude is in the spotlight, but the musk comes forward once dry. The throw from this one is just gorgeous.
Can you compare the incense in this to any other Possets? Some of the incense notes here work beautifully for me, but then some of them go straight to dryer sheet and I'm deathly afraid of that note.

For Femme Fatale, is there another fragrance you could relate it to from any of the Possets? Does it swing more like Oude Time Religion, more like the gentle kiss in Theodora, or give a nice cozy base like in Orion?
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
tarayvonne
virtues
virtues

Re: Yule 2012-Dark Revels ASSORTED Reviews

Post by tarayvonne »

I just got my order in, and I'm a little shaken up over the school shooting right now so I'll do tentative reviews for now because I know people are waiting on reviews to place orders in some cases. I have children in school so these things always affect me badly. My hands are shaking like a leaf in the wind right now so pardon typos if I make any.

Silver Amber: Just as it says, the silver base, and sweet, rockin' amber. LOVE the smell of this, too good to be true and a little bit like Seraphim without the candy coated edge. I'm pretty sure this will go straight to the permanent collection.

Gingerbaby: Hells Bells this is shockingly yummy. It smells like pears, cobbler dessert with the smell of vanilla wafting out, and a gentle amount of ginger. I am so glad I ordered this! Totally foodie though, if you don't like to smell like sweets you won't like it. As for me, I figure if I can't eat them I might as well smell like 'em :)

Lovebaby: this one is not so easy to put a description to. It's peach, but not really dessert peach to me after it's dried down. It's faint really fast. I don't get much butter, just a hint. Basically I'm calling this peach vanilla with a hint of butter on my skin. Maybe my skin eats it or something.

The Ruined Reputation: I had such high hopes for this one, it flew right into my cart. I really, really don't like this one. For me this is a scrubber. Upon initial application, it smells dank, like a basement but with cinnamon and clove or something like that sprinkled on the floor. I smell the carnation, which I love that smell normally. It does get dry after it dries down but I still can't stomach it. On my skin at least, it ends up being just cinnamon and clove and not a lot else.

Femme Fatale: Now this is chic, old school perfumery. It makes me think of the grand old perfumes our Mothers wore when they were going out in style (at least my Mom did this, and how gorgeous she looked :) I can't put my finger on it, but this smells like something I have smelled before, one of those old time glamorous perfumes from Chanel, or Guerlain or someone. If you're looking for something "young" and "bubblegun fruity" this won't be your thing. This is mature, sophisticated, black dress, high heels, red red lipstick-you get the point. It's for a WOMAN not a little girl :)
Boudicca

Post by Boudicca »

Tarayvonne & I have some seriously different skin chemistry going on. So far, I am liking The Ruined Reputation the best probably of the three I have. Big carnations and spice, more clove than cinnamon to me. I didn't get anything dank. Tried Femme Fatale and it is making me think my sniffer is broke (I am a little congested). I get a little oude but it is waaay weaker than I expected. Will have to let it rest and try again in a week or so.
So, that was today with RR in the AM and FF in the PM after a shower. Tried Panic last night. I remembered that the notes included spikenard, camphor and copal. Nott sure what spikenard supposed to smell like. Got the camphor right away, not because it is overwhelming or anything, just cuz I recognize it easily. It is nicely balanced and not medicinal. I think I get the copal after a bit, something just a little sweet and maybe "softer". Softer is not the same as lighter when I use it to describe scents. There is something faintly woodsy too, and it gets ALMOST soapy, but not the way a floral can. I do not care for soapy florals. Dries down to pretty much a skin scent on me. Was not sure what to expect from yhis one but
Last edited by Boudicca on Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds
Boudicca

Post by Boudicca »

Sorry I have got to quit using my Nook for reviews and definitely for ordering. None of the smilies/ emoticons were meant to be there. Sheeeeesh!
Anyway, I wasnot sure what to expect from Panic but am really liking it and could see it becoming a " go to scent".

Sorry again for the messy posts :s:
(that smiley Was meant)
*EDIT* Managed to go back and remove wayward smileys, maybe should have left them for a laugh....
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

Boudicca wrote:*EDIT* Managed to go back and remove wayward smileys, maybe should have left them for a laugh....
Hah! Now I'm curious what was there lol.
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
Boudicca

Post by Boudicca »

Maya wrote:
Boudicca wrote:*EDIT* Managed to go back and remove wayward smileys, maybe should have left them for a laugh....
Hah! Now I'm curious what was there lol.
It pretty much started and ended with the Banging Head On Desk thing which was almost appropriate. If there was a Banging Head With Tablet it would have been perfect. Random randomness between :) Violins? The blushing Santa in the middle of a word was pretty cute.

Hope the "reviews" wereat least a little helpful!