Yule 2012-Dark Revels ASSORTED Reviews

Treading on the dark side but sweeping by with sugar, the Dark Revel Yules were a study in contrasts but with an emphasis on the thick beauty.

Moderator: Maya

gypsyjolie
principalities
principalities

Re: Yule 2012-Dark Revels ASSORTED Reviews

Post by gypsyjolie »

I just finished reviewing the last of my decants. Liquid Tinsel and Panic are definitely my favorites of the bunch. Guess I was looking for more comforting smells this month than sophisticated ones. I do love copal, so Panic was a projected favorite and really did not disappoint!! Tryst may grow on me - I'll re-test that one tomorrow.

My surprise hit of the season was Meltbaby. That waxy, rose-y, coconut, cherry feminine over the top has really made me feel girlie and feminine. It's totally not my usual thing but I found myself drawn to it (and red lipstick) over the holiday.
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. ~ e e cummings
mina
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by mina »

Liquid tinsel and meltbaby are my favorite too with femme fatale.
I love black ice, in the first minute it makes me think of Mitsouko.
fabienne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fabienne »

Oh, Mina, thank you! :hrt::
I have sniffed the Panties of Ptah!
Gemma
archangel
archangel

Post by Gemma »

Okay, Possetiers, I need your thoughts!

I received some New Year gifts from a few of my clients and I have decided to spend it on Possets. I don't want to go crazy, maybe just get 2 additional bottles, and I cannot decide between Silver Amber, Cranbaby, Gingerbaby, and Sweetbaby.

From the reviews, Gingerbaby sounds amazing but I am not sure how I feel about pear in perfume. I had a bad experience with a BPAL scent with pear in it and that has kind of put me off. I'm also wondering what peoples thoughts are on Silver Amber and Sweetbaby; they sound a little similar to me.

I need your guidance! :wink:
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

Gemma wrote:Okay, Possetiers, I need your thoughts!

I received some New Year gifts from a few of my clients and I have decided to spend it on Possets. I don't want to go crazy, maybe just get 2 additional bottles, and I cannot decide between Silver Amber, Cranbaby, Gingerbaby, and Sweetbaby.

From the reviews, Gingerbaby sounds amazing but I am not sure how I feel about pear in perfume. I had a bad experience with a BPAL scent with pear in it and that has kind of put me off. I'm also wondering what peoples thoughts are on Silver Amber and Sweetbaby; they sound a little similar to me.

I need your guidance! :wink:
I also had a bad experience with pear and had stayed away for years. This was my tentative toe dip back into pear, and now I can't stop slathering it on. I have gone through some Possets bottles quickly before, but this seriously is going way too quickly. I can't stop wearing it. The pear and vanilla in this merge so beautifully. The pear (on me, at least) has absolutely no fake tinge. It's just a perfectly luscious and ripe succulent pear.

As far as Silver Amber vs. Sweetbaby, that's a hard one. The only similarity to me is that they have amber in them. Sweetbaby is powder soft and soothing and delicate, and baby perfect. Silver Amber has a beautiful blend of different ambers--and goes on with a lemony touch. I think Silver Amber has a closer vibe to Naples Yellow in the lemon vibe that Silver Amber has, but even then it's not the same as Naples Yellow.

I do like Cranbaby as well, so I don't know if I can be much more help lol.
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
amberosmanthus
archangel
archangel

Post by amberosmanthus »

I haven't yet been able to try Cranbaby or Gingerbaby (still waiting on those). But I can enlighten you on Silver Amber vs. Sweetbaby. I'll start by saying I love them both, but Sweetbaby is my definite favorite. They seem to have about the same sweetness. Silver Amber reminds me of caramel or syrup although there is no maple and it doesn't really smell like either. I think the combination of the sweet silver marshmellowy base and the golden amber equals caramel in my brain. Sweetbaby is more open, a tad sharper but just by comparison. I couldn't call this a sharp scent. I think it is the lavender giving it a cleaner edge. It is soft, comforting sugared lavender-amber. It is in the same catagory with Lavender Pepys and Ponder. Less vanilla than Ponder and less resiny than Lavender Pepys. They are both gorgeous. If I had to choose two of the four I'd choose Gingerbaby (based on reviews) and Sweetbaby. If you are wary of Gingerbaby then do Sweetbaby and Silver Amber. They are different enough to easily own both.

I'm also curious about cranbaby but I have to remember I'm always more of a sweet resin girl than a fruit girl so it has dropped further down the priority for me. I hope it gets more reviews!

So, helpful? or just more confusing? :lol:
Last edited by amberosmanthus on Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lulu
archangel
archangel

Post by lulu »

Has anyone got any reviews of Whimsy, Pizza or Lovebaby? So curious about these......
amberosmanthus
archangel
archangel

Post by amberosmanthus »

lulu wrote:Has anyone got any reviews of Whimsy, Pizza or Lovebaby? So curious about these......
I put these in reviews too. (I haven't tried Lovebaby)

Pizza de Colazione
I'll try to do it justice. It is an interesting one. At first whiff I get well-done pizza dough with some herbs and spices. It has that not-quite yet charcoal whiff - just a whiff. It doesn't change much as it dries, though it does soften and round out into more bready crust and loses the charcoal. The herbs and spices continue on through, maybe oregano, a little pepper, some rosemary? It really has an Italian feel. I don't get any tomato unless it is tomato leaf. I like it and at the same time I'm not sure I want to smell like it. It feels like I've spent the day in the kitchen and spilled pizza on myself somewhere.

Whimsy
OK, I love this one. Now I have to figure out how to afford a bottle. I'm not surprised because I love osmanthus and nicotiana. There might be a touch of violet in here too. The wet stone grounds it and keeps it from being a straight up floral, kind of like the earth notes do for some of the other blends. This stone is clean and scoured like from the bottom of a fast running stream bed. This is a complicated floral, lightly sweet, a bit creamy, a bit fruity-floral, yet cool and refreshing (maybe that is the stone note). For me I imagine this being a great spring/summer fragrance, but it could be a nice daytime scent any time of year. (I'm off to go count my pennies..)
lulu
archangel
archangel

Post by lulu »

amberosmanthus wrote:
lulu wrote:Has anyone got any reviews of Whimsy, Pizza or Lovebaby? So curious about these......
I put these in reviews too. (I haven't tried Lovebaby)

Pizza de Colazione
I'll try to do it justice. It is an interesting one. At first whiff I get well-done pizza dough with some herbs and spices. It has that not-quite yet charcoal whiff - just a whiff. It doesn't change much as it dries, though it does soften and round out into more bready crust and loses the charcoal. The herbs and spices continue on through, maybe oregano, a little pepper, some rosemary? It really has an Italian feel. I don't get any tomato unless it is tomato leaf. I like it and at the same time I'm not sure I want to smell like it. It feels like I've spent the day in the kitchen and spilled pizza on myself somewhere.

Whimsy
OK, I love this one. Now I have to figure out how to afford a bottle. I'm not surprised because I love osmanthus and nicotiana. There might be a touch of violet in here too. The wet stone grounds it and keeps it from being a straight up floral, kind of like the earth notes do for some of the other blends. This stone is clean and scoured like from the bottom of a fast running stream bed. This is a complicated floral, lightly sweet, a bit creamy, a bit fruity-floral, yet cool and refreshing (maybe that is the stone note). For me I imagine this being a great spring/summer fragrance, but it could be a nice daytime scent any time of year. (I'm off to go count my pennies..)
Thanks for doing that! :hrt:: Now I know I need a bottle of Whimsy :gaah:
Gemma
archangel
archangel

Post by Gemma »

Thank you, Maya and Amberosmanthus! :hrt:: Very helpful!

I am definitely going to get Gingerbaby, and I am leaning towards Sweetbaby over Silver Amber (in the hope that Silver Amber will become a permanent addition like the other Silvers!). Cranberry sounds amazing but fruit notes can go a bit weird on me so I think I will skip the bottle and hunt down a decant instead. :)