Delish

Treading on the dark side but sweeping by with sugar, the Dark Revel Yules were a study in contrasts but with an emphasis on the thick beauty.

Moderator: Maya

gypsyjolie
principalities
principalities

Delish

Post by gypsyjolie »

Non stop fun with coconut. Here I explore a woodier part of the coconut which makes this a more grown up blend than a simple foodie. There is a true loveliness to a good coconut blend and this one is put together with that staple of winter, the beautiful "incense" balsam pine. There is also a small amount of pineapple which is a sweetener for the balsam with some of the same elements shared by both. A very unusual blend but one which is a true gourmandy.

wet: Sweet juicy Pineapple and wet coconut. Smells like a tropical drink.

drying on skin: sweet pina colada, the pineapple is slowly fading down a bit. Oh! There's the the tiniest bit of balsam pine coming through.

Full drydown: The coconut is a bit huskier/dried smelling after it rests a while, or maybe that's the combination of the balsam and the coconut. This is pretty but mostly coconut, like a great coconut macaroon. The pineapple's sweetness lingers a bit, making this smell moist. It's almost creamy smelling, with a woody undertone. The balsam gives it a nice airy throw. I'd have liked to have more balsam pine in this as the combination was lovely. This is very foodie!
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. ~ e e cummings
AthenaRose
mortal
mortal

Re: Delish

Post by AthenaRose »

My first thought was pina colada... with a pine cone garnish that has a bit of tree sap crusted to it. Very creamy. My husband said it smells like bananas. Is there banana in this too? Very tropical west coast (BC Canada, Washington State area) Smells like summertime where i live.
amberosmanthus
archangel
archangel

Post by amberosmanthus »

This one is interesting to me because I don't pick out any of the notes. I purposely test perfumes before looking at the notes so it doesn't influence what I imagine I smell, and I couldn't come up with anything clear cut with this. I get lightly sweet, leaning towards tropical and creamy with something woody beneath it all. Wow, very specific eh? After I read the notes I can easily find the coconut and assume it is responsible for the creamy tropical feel. As this dries it becomes sweeter and I think I can find the pineapple more easily. I don't really identify pine but it makes me think of macadamia nuts! Maybe pineapple macadamia cake!
lulu
archangel
archangel

Post by lulu »

Although this is a bit tropical to begin with, Delish ends up all husky, woody coconut with an underlying sweet pineapple- no suntan lotion here! I have really come around to loving this, especially the drydown which is really subtle but lovely and comforting :hrt::
Floria
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by Floria »

I think either my skin or my nose may emphasize pineapple notes, since I got mostly pineapple out of Colossus of Memnon, and this is more "pineapple and coconut with a bit of pine" to me than "coconut and pine with a hint of pineapple." The pine isn't really obvious as "hello, EVERGREEN" - there is no gin in this pina colada - but it's sort of a spicy-bracing undertone that keeps the sweet pineapple and coconut from being insipid and makes the whole production a lot more interesting. It has decent throw.
I may try layering this with a bit of BPAL's Grog for a real Christmas pina colada.
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

In the bottle: Immediately swoon worthy. This feels like it should have been one of the babies. I could easily see it sitting side by side with Sweetbaby and Gingerbaby--although it would be a perfect bridge between the babies and Liquid Tinsel. I get soft coconut, a tinge of pineapple, that tinseled edge that is probably the pine feeling like the fir, and cream.

Wet on my skin: Mmmmmm this is a perfect pina colada. Rich in coconut fat, tart with pineapple, and creamy creamy creamy with a teensy touch of bubble gum.

As it dries: The pine begins to come forward a bit, and wow does it blend beautifully with these other notes. The bubble gum note begins to slide away. The cream (as in rich coconut cream) smooooooths this out and makes this utterly delicious. The pineapple shifts down a bit here and slides under the cream, but it's still present.

As it dries further: The pine is pitchy and fighting with the other notes--becoming *almost* a gasoline or mechanical smell, but I can tell it's working through the morphing on my skin and not something that will hang around forever. The pineapple is still singing softly, but it's there. As the pine works its way through some more, I get a slightly menthol note fighting through the cream. The coconut is getting harder here, and I get a husk vibe, although the cream is still very present.

Dry on my skin: at first sniff from the bottle, I would have thought this would lean more toward suntan lotion. As it dries, it's wringing itself out and becoming more dry, no lotion, and a hair away from containing a masculine edge. The pine is a hard pine board now mixed with an edge of pine needle. The pineapple has turned more toward the inner hard woody core. The coconut still retains the cream, but has shaved in some of the husk. All of this together might seem to come across as really harsh, but the cream in it keeps it soft and perfumey. This is a very intriguing study in contrasts: soft and hard. Creamy and woody. Somehow, in the middle of it all, I find myself very charmed, comforted, and soothed. Yep, even though this is less sweet and a little more hard than the Babies, this one carries much of the same soothing qualities of the Babies. And, did I mention, it's lovely? It's definitely a gourmand, but the pine and husk keeps it from being totally foody. Mmmm! I'm so glad I grabbed this one.
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!