Lipstick on the Egg Nog Carton

Treading on the dark side but sweeping by with sugar, the Dark Revel Yules were a study in contrasts but with an emphasis on the thick beauty.

Moderator: Maya

Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Lipstick on the Egg Nog Carton

Post by Maya »

Possets description: "A Yuletide atrocity, to find lipstick on the egg nog carton?!? This one just smells good from several wacky points of view. First there is the very boozy introduction, this slides into a wazzle of nutmeg and cream which pairs oddly with some real basic smelling lipsticky perfume. It's a lot like the delights of getting really drunk and falling madly in love with someone who is NOT your type but you do it anyway because they are NOT your type. Forbidden fun, pernicious pleasure, a sure way to cure yourself of being fridgid, if even temporarily. Lipstick on the Eggnog Carton puts a smile on my face every time I wear it."

In the bottle: Eggnog liberally spiked with alcohol. Woooo! The nutmeg is very pretty here (and fresh) and the eggnog comes across as very creamy. This blends very well with that lipstick note, and boy does it smell like lipstick. It makes me giggle just sniffing it.

On my skin: Oooooh the eggnog is delicious! I want to drink it off of my skin. The lipstick almost goes a bit bubblegummy here, but I think that's partially the way the alcohol note is mixing with the others and weaving through the fragrance.

As it dries: Gaaaah I can't stop giggling. This is such a fun fragrance. The title is so perfect for it. Mmmm the nutmeg is soooo wonderful in this, and the creamy essence is just perfect. The lipstick is giving off a bit of powder, a touch of vavoom, and a vibe that says, "I know how to party!"

As it dries further: The throw on this is stronger than I expected, and it (despite the "fun" name) is turning into something that is a rather pretty perfume. I keep picturing a woman dressed to the nines with bright red lipstick who had a bit too much to drink leaning back and laughing. She is class from head to toe, but she unbent enough to get tipsy, and she's enjoying every minute of it. This has a fresh vibe--almost like citrus--but without any citrus notes in it.

Every now and then, I still get that bubble gum vibe, but I think it's more so because it hits that "pitch" on the scent scale, and not necessarily because it reminds me of any particular bubble gum.

Totally dry on the skin, this continues to hold steady. It's such a fun and delightful scent. It would pair well with jeans and a well-loved t-shirt, but could also be worn in more formal occasions if you have a sense of humor and enjoy having fun while being serious. The eggnog and nutmeg have slid underneath the lipstick note now, providing a really lovely soft base, and the lipstick has been chewed mostly off of the lips but is still pretty, engaging, and very enjoyable.

This comes across as a very happy fragrance, and feels like a great mood lifter.

This is a winner for me that I probably won't wear all the time, but will be "just the thing" when I do.

Edited to add that the longer this is on my skin, the prettier it gets. It seemed to drop down quite a bit, but then it began to rise up again--this time with the nutmeg leading the way, but in a really beautiful perfumed note. This is mmmmm lovely!
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
AthenaRose
mortal
mortal

Re: Lipstick on the Egg Nog Carton

Post by AthenaRose »

So fun! Strong rum and eggnog in the vial, but once applied the rum burns off very quickly... it's a short-lived fleeting note. The 'lipstick' takes over. Powdery, feminine, and i'd say a true-red lipstick. Not too blue, not too orange. Matte lipstick (not glossy) with a bit of red-microglitter for depth and iridescence, but not flashy or pearly at all. Floral but i'm not sure what kind. Someone asked me if i was wearing jasmine. Is there jasmine in this? If so, it's a nice jasmine, not a stinky one. The eggnogg spices make this floral warm and soft as it dries down, which is quite a contrast to the sharp rum kick when first sniffed. Smells as fun playful as the name sounds. :)
Narcisse
mortal
mortal

Re: Lipstick on the Egg Nog Carton

Post by Narcisse »

I picked this up last retour as I was having a lipstick craving and always love nutmeg in a scent so decided to go with it. I have had it for two weeks which is my "it's recovered from the trip and settled" window. When you smell it in the bottle it is boozy egg nog with on hint of the lipstick scent, but it is most certainly delicious. The obvious egg nog last for about 5 or so seconds on my skin then it's into the lipstick phase. Now someone asked in retour regrets as to what lipstick smells like and that question I felt would be best served here. Lipstick, when, I think of it; is actually specific to the scent my grandmother's lipstick smelled of which would have been a bright red shade from the 20's (you can tell by the brass lipstick deco case) which at this phase of cosmetics would have still been using whale spermaceti among other agents. This scent it something that is vaguely floral, a bit powdery, and musky, there is certainly an animalic aspect to it. Modern lipstick continued to try to recreate this scent in lipstick after the end of whale products use, because it then transferred to petroleum based paraffin which didn't smell the same and had a slightly chemical smell. The scenting of lipstick has been since ended so you would really need to find a vintage lipstick to find one with the scent to compare. This scent, Lipstick on the Egg Nog Carton, does have a slightly powdery aspect to it, but not like baby powder or ambery powder, there is also a faint hint of floral, but more like the scent of magnolia petals not the actual pollen scent. Magnolia petals on there own do have a slightly waxy and musky scent of their own if you have ever just collected the petals to put in a bowl of water on a table or bath. There is also a musky aspect that sort of reminds me of ambergris' I have tried in the past. There is also the added musk component by the nutmeg in the egg nog. When I first received the scent it went straight to the sweet, creamy musk with a hint of sweet, but now that it has set, the egg nog is more present than before, and in fact reminds me of the scent of Christmas in New Orleans, not the Possets scent, but my actual memory. I had a friend who worked at a daiquiri shop and told me I had to try the Egg Nog daiquiri. Which I did, and on my way home I walked the path I always did past a house on I think St Peter between Royal and Bourbon which had a constantly blooming honeysuckle bush (I think), and this is what the two things smelled like together. I wouldn't truly describe it as floral because it's not really, but there is a hint, and it is mixed with egg nog sweetness, but you wouldn't know it as egg nog, and it's just a lovely creamy musky scent with a hint of sweet waxiness and hint of nutmeg which is softened to be almost like vanilla. The very long term dry down leaves you with a beautiful vanilla musk that is incredibly comforting. This could likely be different if I were not on my skin, but I can only describe the scent as it reacts and interacts with me.