Woman

Treading on the dark side but sweeping by with sugar, the Dark Revel Yules were a study in contrasts but with an emphasis on the thick beauty.

Moderator: Maya

elfnwitch
primordial
primordial

Woman

Post by elfnwitch »

Possets description: An exceptionally daring rose fragrance which contains thunderous notes of civet, vetiver, aged patchouli. It is the essence of sex and not for the faint of heart. this is a fragrance which pushes the lady bits and entices rather than slavishly tries to please. I think this would be a great perfume for a dominatrix, someone who would MAKE the opposite sex yearn for more. Oddly compelling, there is more than a faint resemblance to Jean Patou's Joy here and I think that that is no accident. Exceptionally complex, primitive and yet sophisticated. By turns animalic and the soul of civilization. Animalic, hypnotic.

In the bottle: definitely a rose fragrance, but not overwhelming. Something keeps the rose from screaming "Rose!", but I'm not sure what at this point...

On the skin: Rose, but far more complex than any other rose I've sniffed to date. A bit darker, more earthy. I can catch the patchouli after a few minutes, but it blends with the rose. And the balance has been lasting for the duration, and I've been wearing it for a few hours now.

I'm a huge fan of rose scents done well, and I love "Napoleon and Josephine". Admittedly, this was not the first one I sampled out of the Dark Revels as I think of roses for more of a Spring/Summer fragrance. But I am pleasantly surprised that Woman is absolutely stunning for Winter, and it is snowing here in WVa and we've gotten about 5-6" worth. To me, this is "Eternal Rose", far more complex than a simple rose but yet a true rose. And Fabienne captured it so correctly when she compared it to Jean Patou's "Joy", for it is the rose equivalent of it.

So if you have been hesitant to try it because it is a rose in Winter, don't be. This is the most stunning rose scent, bar none.
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Woman

Post by Maya »

elfnwitch wrote:To me, this is "Eternal Rose", far more complex than a simple rose but yet a true rose. And Fabienne captured it so correctly when she compared it to Jean Patou's "Joy", for it is the rose equivalent of it.

Dangit. I knew someone was going to post a review of this one and make me decide I needed to have it after all, and you did it.

Gaaaahhhh!

Do any rose fragrances go soapy on you? If so, I'm assuming this one doesn't?
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
elfnwitch
primordial
primordial

Post by elfnwitch »

No, I've not had any roses go soapy on me. I've had a couple go powdery, but they weren't Possets. All of Fabienne's roses have stayed rosey!
allegro_barbaro
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by allegro_barbaro »

This is intensely rosy but in a warm, wet luscious way. It reminded me of Isabella on initial application but became deeper and darker with minutes. I can totally see the comparison with Joy (which I wore on my wedding day) even if the civet is much tamer here. I can detect something earthy keeping it all anchored to my skin but cannot determine either vetiver or patchouli so if you are scared of these notes, don't be afraid to try Woman, they seem to be here in the most minute quantities. I will happily wear this during the transition from Winter to Spring.
"Look like the innocent flower, but be th' serpent under't"
Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Post by Petticoats »

This is one of those fragrances that reminds me that I should give a fragrance plenty of time to come to life for me. This was a blind buy for me, and for weeks (maybe months) whenever I tested it or sniffed it in the bottle I had an instant negative reaction. It's been sitting in my swap-or-sell-when-I-get-around-to-it box for a while now.

But today I gave it another sniff and... hmm, this is lovely! Do I dare try it on my skin? I dare. OOOhhhh... really stunning! I'm not sure why it's gone from off-putting to inviting. A possibility is that it's mellowed a little; it may be that I was getting patchouli before, because I generally don't get along well with patchouli. All I know is that, without having noticeably gotten weaker or less dramatic, Woman has become a winner for me.

I don't get as sexual or animalistic a vibe as the description suggests, but this is definitely a powerful fragrance, mature (that is, for a real woman, not a little girl), sophisticated, darkly beautiful. It still has that lush fresh rose element that Fabienne does so well, and although I can't pick out individual notes, there's an opulent, perfumy surround that definitely suggests classic perfumes like the Patou.

I am so glad I kept Woman and gave it another try. This will be my go-to this winter for parties and elegant occasions--or occasions that I want to make more elegant!

ETA: My coworkers don't comment a lot on my perfumes, but one of them actually interrupted our conversation this morning to exclaim, "You smell amazing, by the way!" So Woman is wowing others besides me!

ET further A: I love how much throw and longevity this one has. Nice and strong--it really makes a statement.
Learn about me and my books at www.amandadewees.com.
Narcisse
mortal
mortal

Post by Narcisse »

Woman is the early to mid forties stage, very cougar/milf-esque. The rose opens deep and rich, there is a depth and strength that only really comes with age. She has the rich red scent of the rose from Isabella and Pleiades but this time she has much more expensive clothes and refined palate. This is the richness brought to her in the power of the patchouli and the vetiver, neither of which are overwhelmingly earthy or hippy. The vetiver is more of a rich cacao mixed with the fresh of the rose and the green depth of the patchouli, then there is the civet. It does add a great depth to it and a richness almost resin like... however on me it goes not quite right. It did the same with Besarabian Whorehouse I can appreciate the depth and feel of it but there is something about civet that goes heavy ylang ylang on me. I still recommend trying the scent completely and it is beautiful I just need to tame the civet edge but adding silver sandalwood. This is absolutely the scent of a fully assured woman who is in total control of her sexuality and powers of attraction. It is absolutely not a mature scent but I could absolutely see someone younger feeling it is a bit much of a statement. It is a powerful fragrance but I would have worn it at 15 or 25 and any other woman should too if they want. Fabienne was correct this is very much a powerful woman's sex scent dominatrix or otherwise. The richness of the rose is completely balanced by the depth of the earthier elements which afford it a more classic perfume feel and the civet does add a feral nuisance that is necessary.