Sin-Sin

Treading on the dark side but sweeping by with sugar, the Dark Revel Yules were a study in contrasts but with an emphasis on the thick beauty.

Moderator: Maya

lulu
archangel
archangel

Sin-Sin

Post by lulu »

Possets description-"Way back when there was a "candy" called Sen-Sen. It is hard to describe but it was intense, and it was physically very small rectangles which were black. They were about 1/16" square and their flavor was all out of proportion to their size. You literally could not have more than two in your mouth at once. The taste stayed with you forever, too! Once you had one you smelled like it for hours. Some people hated them, I loved them. I then discovered the secret of their great staying power and I have recreated this "confection" here at Possets, but with a more sophisticated approach, and I am quite sure that the quality of the ingredients I use are vastly superior to the quality of the original! If you like licorice, and you like it strong-this is the brew for you!"

Do I like licorice? Yes! Do I like it in my perfume? Usually......(as in Libby or Bat in your Hair)

In the bottle this smells like a hard aniseed candy, strong and slightly medicinal.

Wet- woah, stand back!! Fabienne is not wrong when she says this is strong stuff.....licorice all the way and I can feel it in the back of my throat, almost taste it.

Drydown- yep, pretty much stays all licorice. It smells very pure- I can't smell sugar or anything else that takes the edge off it so you would have to have a pretty strong licorice fetish to wear this as a perfume. I'm not sure that I want to smell like it, but Sin-Sin does however really make me want some licorice or aniseed candy....nom....nom..
amberosmanthus
archangel
archangel

Re: Sin-Sin

Post by amberosmanthus »

Apparently you can still buy the candy this was inspired by. Here they are called Sen-Sen, but I think it is the same thing. I remember them!
http://www.oldtimecandy.com/sen.htm

A little history from the website "oldtimecandy" for people who don't like to click links:
Sen-Sen was developed in the late 1800s by T.B. Dunn and Co., perfume dealers in Rochester, New York. According to Dunn’s history, a plant supervisor by the name of Kerschner developed a formula for an effective and refreshing breath perfume. In keeping with its perfumery roots, it was on the market list for many years as a cosmetic. Sen-Sen was to the 19th century what breath mints are to our time. Any country store worth its salt, prominently displayed a box of the handy little packets within easy reach of its customers.

The origin of the name Sen-Sen is apparently lost to history. In all the documents that were received at the sale of the company, none mentioned how it’s name originally came about. In Japan "sen-sen" means glistening, shiny or bright, but there is no documentation to indicate any connection between these meanings and the product.

The ingredients of Sen-Sen are imported from Bulgaria, France, Turkey, Greece, Italy and some almost inaccessible regions of Asia. The product is still made on some of the original equipment that manufactured the product in the late 1800's.
Last edited by amberosmanthus on Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lulu
archangel
archangel

Post by lulu »

Wow, that's pretty interesting, wonder what those mysterious ingredients are? :lol: Love that website too!
elfnwitch
primordial
primordial

Post by elfnwitch »

Okay, I love licorice and got this on the 2nd go around, having had the candy once upon a time. This is wonderful! Definitley anise, but there is something lurking underneath that has an earthy quality to it. For some reason my Grandmother's horehound candy (another oldie!) comes to mind. It has enough of the earthier element to make this wearable as a perfume for me (especially around Halloween time!), or just to put a dab on a cottonball as an atmoshperic scent. Love it! :grin: