Tryst

Treading on the dark side but sweeping by with sugar, the Dark Revel Yules were a study in contrasts but with an emphasis on the thick beauty.

Moderator: Maya

lulu
archangel
archangel

Tryst

Post by lulu »

Possets description- "Like a quick and intense encounter with someone who is really off limits, this is a daring chypre made with an intense collection of two separate Italian bergamots which were very difficult to obtain, a very smooth and appealing oakmoss which will even win the heart of confirmed oakmoss haters, and a secret 'red' note which I felt had to go into this blend. It's not the usual strict and solemn chypre but a playful and frightfully seriously sexy sort of chypre."

Well firstly I have to admit that I still have no idea what oakmoss smells like but have never had a problem with any perfume that has it in it, so it must work for me! Possets chypres and bergamots also are in some of my faves, so I had high hopes for Tryst!

In the bottle this smells fruity in a berry-like way (assuming this is the red note mentioned). Mmmmmm, nice!

Wet- the berry comes out strongly but it's not fake or sugary, it smell fresh and real. Not quite sure which type of berry though....I can smell the bergamot floating around it too.

Drydown- This is wonderful. It becomes so perfumey (for want of a better word), it's not like you are wearing a foody smell. It doesn't smell like a teen perfume despite being fruity and slightly high-pitched. It is so upbeat and fun and sexy, and very different to anything in my Possets collection. The bergamot is very prominent but swirls around the fruits, yet there is a grounding note there too. If you love bergamot you must try this!

Tryst is pretty much the highlight of the Yules I have tried so far :hrt::
gypsyjolie
principalities
principalities

Re: Tryst

Post by gypsyjolie »

wet: oddly sharp and earthily herbal - like rosemary can be, over a red berry Jello base. :eek:

drying: ah, the herbal resolves into oakmoss. I'm getting the bergamot too, and the "red" base isn't smelling artificial anymore. This is rounding out nicely. The berry part (cranberry? lingdon berry? something with a hint of tartness as well as the berry-sweet) is there but this scent isn't really fruity or candy-like. It's more complex.

full drydown: The bergamot is beautiful. The chypre is quite high-pitched and almost herbal, and sits way apart from the warm, smooth, berry-ish part of the scent. I think I'd like this without the berry element, frankly. It smells a bit like a bayberry candle.

way drydown (1 hour): ooh, I like this more than I thought I would. It does end up quite sexy after some skin time. It loses all identifiable berry-ness. The oakmoss keeps it perfumey and sophisticated.

I think this is a bit too high-pitched for me, but I am not a real perfumey scent girl. They make me feel under-dressed :)
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. ~ e e cummings
Boudicca

Post by Boudicca »

When I first sniffed this from the bottle and did the "I'll dab a little on" test I thought "We're calling this a chypre?"
Yesterday I gave it a proper test, all by itself.
In the bottle and wet on skin, the "red" note is exactly that, more of a flavor/color than a smell. Gypsyjolie alluded to red jello, but I think popsicles. You remember, as a kid, not asking for or being offered popsicles by flavor, but by color? It is that kind of red initially, it is a berry and it is red.
Ah, then I started getting the oakmoss and I am always on board with oakmoss. Ok, now I am getting why we are talking chypre.
Then I got the bergamot. I know I like bergamot, but it's kinda like, Hey! Look at me picking out notes!
Despite what I said about the red note, this is not girly. This is for a woman who likes to have fun. The fun is all about how the wearer defines fun. :angel:
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds
AthenaRose
mortal
mortal

Post by AthenaRose »

My husband insists the 'red' note in this is red apple.