Black River

Treading on the dark side but sweeping by with sugar, the Dark Revel Yules were a study in contrasts but with an emphasis on the thick beauty.

Moderator: Maya

gypsyjolie
principalities
principalities

Black River

Post by gypsyjolie »

An almost indestructible and ineluctable blend of resins which is deep incense combined with dark velvety vanilla wood. This is an instant classic, highly exotic and so rich that you will be able to wear very little and yet make a huge impact. Glorious and somehow I think of "bright night" when I smell it. Tremendously complex. Resinous, oriental, vanilla.

wet: something smells like the sharp gear oil smell that I remember from Bike. A bit scary. Uber-masculine, like a machine shop.

drying: This is still sharp, but I get the incense now. It's still sharp, dry, and bitter. Where's my vanilla wood?

full drydown: Finally the incense and wood come out and soften the scent a bit, but it's still very masculine to my nose. This is complex - hard to pick out any specific notes. It's a sharp, green, dark, woody, and bitter chypre scent. I was expecting some warmth and softness and it has NONE. Not at all what I envisioned from the description.

Very masculine. Low throw.
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. ~ e e cummings
amberosmanthus
archangel
archangel

Re: Black River

Post by amberosmanthus »

I enjoy this one a lot. I'm thinking this might be gorgeous on my husband and I'm excited to try it on him. It is a little dryer than I usually prefer for me, and it would easily be unisex or even masculine. Wet, I get dark woods, some almost coffee-like bitterness and a touch of incense. On the drydown I get a little more incense but the woods and resins remain the star of this one. I get the vanilla wood but it is woody and dry. No baking vanilla here. As it continues to dry it develops more depth and there is an undercurrent of sweetness that reminds me of amber but it remains subtle. This is so much more complex than I can seem to describe. There is a lot going on here and it is really fun to follow along. If you enjoy woods and dry resins this is a must have.
Boudicca

Post by Boudicca »

Thought I should mention I gota compliment on this today from a lady with whom I work. She asked what it was, said she really liked it because it was soft and she "hates strong perfume". She wasn' t standing that close to me so I am interpreting that as it has a pretty decent throw without being obnoxious/overwhelming/suffocating/whatever.

For context, I get complimented on my perfume about every two months, maybe.

Amberosmanthus' review says pretty much everything I could say, it started out very* dry on me but develops nicely. Not the best candidate for a scent locket though (scent locket being a bit of a new obsession on my part.)

Think I will go thru my bag of poppet/froppet "dupes" and slip some I think she might like to my coworker. I love being an enabler :mg:
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds
Boudicca

Post by Boudicca »

To add to my above post, this is the third time I've tried Black River and it is Really* working well with/for me today. I may have to try Femme Fatale tomorrow to see if she is ready to play nicely with me yet! :wink:
allegro_barbaro
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by allegro_barbaro »

Amberosmanthus really gets it right! I just want to add that the incense I smell is like the unburnt resins, the littly lumpy aromatic pieces that smell strangely medicinal and warm at the same time. Also, this perfume seems to smell very different depending on distance. Sweet and safe from afar yet complex and changeable up close. Could almost describe the ideal wearer's personality.
"Look like the innocent flower, but be th' serpent under't"
AthenaRose
mortal
mortal

Post by AthenaRose »

Very masculine. Going to try and get my husband to wear this one. :)
Boudicca

Post by Boudicca »

Wearing this today, I'm impressed with the way it is developing. (I hesitate to say "aging" as I have only had it for a little over 2 months but I do think this is going to age beautifully.) As I said, I initially found the incense quite acrid. Now, it starts with a nice "bite" to get your attention, but the vanilla/wood aspect is coming out more, it's "softer". Others have found it masculine (I did a bit at first myself, but that totally works for me) but today I'd say, on me, the dry down definitely swings to the feminine side.
I sort of unintentionally broke my "I don't buy back up bottles" with this and one other. I'm really glad that I screwed up that order and have those back ups :heartrise:
funkmoppet2
archangel
archangel

Post by funkmoppet2 »

The opener for this one is a divine blast of resin and wood. This is the sort of incense I like (all resin, not getting any florals or fruit), though it's not as smokey as I was expecting. I agree with allegro_barbaro, it's the smell of raw resin pieces, like a lovely monastic blend. The nicely dry, woody vanilla aspect is pretty elusive on me and is really just there smoothing this one out and softening it as it dries.

To my nose it's not masculine, and even at it's most strident wet phase it's pretty unisex. After the dry down, I'm in agreement with Boudicca as this one swings feminine.