Whimsy (Yule 2012)

Treading on the dark side but sweeping by with sugar, the Dark Revel Yules were a study in contrasts but with an emphasis on the thick beauty.

Moderator: Maya

amberosmanthus
archangel
archangel

Whimsy (Yule 2012)

Post by amberosmanthus »

Whimsy
From the catalog:
"A first cousin to Temptation but with a more sly side to it. This one is deceptively simple at first, with a shot of the same divine osmanthus I used for Temptation BUT there is a clever use of nicotiana flower (a popular staple in perfumery and not toxic at all) and a very small note which smells like wet stone which I find unexpected and captivating. Perfumy."

OK, I love this one. Now I have to figure out how to afford a bottle. I'm not surprised because I love osmanthus and nicotiana. There might be a touch of violet in here too. The wet stone grounds it and keeps it from being a straight up floral, kind of like the earth notes do for some of the other blends. This stone is clean and scoured like from the bottom of a fast running stream bed. This is a complicated floral, lightly sweet, a bit creamy, a bit fruity-floral, yet cool and refreshing (maybe that is the stone note). For me I imagine this being a great spring/summer fragrance, but it could be a nice daytime scent any time of year. (I'm off to go count my pennies..)
AthenaRose
mortal
mortal

Re: Whimsy (Yule 2012)

Post by AthenaRose »

Okay, so the osmanthus must be the pretty floral scent that i liked in the Walled Garden. The coffee in the WG turned it too bitter for me though. This is so much softer and gentler without that sharp bitter edge that i now know was from the coffee. The osmanthus almost has a licorice like candy quality, but not black licorice, more like a white licorice if there were such a thing. Is there?

And wet stone! For sure. I live on the rainy westcoast of BC, Vancouver Island. Rainsoaked things are very common around here. This is clean cold wet stone, no hint of mold or rotting leaves. Whimsy is a beautiful wet stone fairy garden. Or a garden with fairy statues carved out of high quality stone. Fresh flowers and overcast sky, but with beams of light sneaking through the clouds, sparkle and flashes of colour in unexpected places, and an occasional blur of wings that may or may not be a hummingbird. Very magical. So very very pretty.