Valentines 2013 - Couples

All the great fragrances from Valentines 2013 should be filed here. This includes the Couples scents and Henry VIII and His six Wives, too.

Moderator: Maya

Boudicca

Valentines 2013 - Couples

Post by Boudicca »

This may need to be moved but I thought I'd get things started.

Harold and Edith

Possets description:
He was the handsome blonde king of England, she was the beautiful classic beauty who could never wed him because of her low birth. He took her, she was his concubine and together they shook the foundations of the country and were the one couple of whom all others were envious. He showered her in jewels, placed her at the head of his table, and lavished her with love. She was known as Edith of the Swan Neck. Alas, this was not to last, for on the one day which Harold had to win, he lost. It was 1066 and the Battle of Hastings was lost by the defending Britains. Shot through the eye by and enemy archer, Harold crashed to earth and was hacked into so many pieces that his loving lady Edith had to be coaxed onto the battlefield and to identify her lover's torso by the marks which she had left there with her teeth and mouth the night before. Dark oakmoss from the forests of England, the scent of the iris rushes from where they had lain the night before, vetiver offered to a pagan god for the safe return of the beloved, all dry and mournful as a lost love. Melancholy and herbal, beautiful in its distress.

I'm getting mostly iris, it's fresh and a little green, and soft. There's something that reminds me a little of a specific sort of candy (I can't remember what it is) but it is not at all sugary, nor sweet. I'm not really getting the vetiver, but I believe I detect the oakmoss. I know I like a lot of scents with oakmoss but I'm not 100% what it smells like. There is an herbal vibe going on here.
I honestly think this one needs to rest a little longer before I can give it its due.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds
Boudicca

Re: Valentines 2013 - Couples

Post by Boudicca »

Ok, maybe this one just needed to rest longer on my skin.
I applied some more and got a hint of the vetiver this time.
Now that it has dried down more fully on my skin, it's gotten "deeper", for lack of a better word. Not so green/fresh now, which is a good thing. Maybe more just not so green. The iris is getting really pretty, which again may not be the best word. More smooth, dare I say senuous? There's something sort of soft & silky to the "feel" to it. It's making me think of the iris in Equistrius (Parfum d'Empire, one of my favorite niches).
Boudicca

Post by Boudicca »

Lily Bart and Lawrence Sheldon

Possets description:
The two characters from Edith Wharton's highly amusing House of Mirth, Lily Barth was the toast of the London scene. Astoundingly beautiful but not rich, she was forward and committed the fatal error of choosing the wrong friends. With the means to save herself at hand, yet being of too good stuff to use it, Lily is ruined in the most socially hideous way watched by her cowardly admirer, Lawrence Sheldon. A magnificent story told magically. The fragrance hopes to conjure up all of the misery, longing, piquancy, and thrill of the tale. Something which could be worn among the elite of early 20th century English society, yet a bit outre. A small amount of "to sexy" does show through and all may be lost or found. Rich myrrh and vetiver are woven through with Indian incense and a flash of camphor to provide the right bite, angelica for uprightness, and opoponax for the base. Too fabulous on one hand, so envied on the other. A cool resin with a deep heart.

I'm definitely getting the vetiver in this one, also the myrrh and camphor. Angelica? No clue. I'm a little familiar with opoponax, I think I got it in the dry down. Yes. The weird thing is, upon application I was getting a spicy note, like cinnamon. I've got it going in my scent locket too and it's a little more like clove there. Not sure if that is a note I do not recognize, or just the way some of the notes are combining. It's "red and spicy". Or a red spice?

OK, just because I'm not sure what I am smelling does NOT mean I do not like it. I was pretty sure from the notes that I would, thus I slathered it on a bit, rather than a more demure, prudish, clean test. If your skin is on the sensitive side, you might want to go easy with this initially.

This one is really reminiscent of the Yules/recent Cambiennes. If you liked Bad Habit, Panic and Cambienne - Burning Snow, I think this one is for you! And I mean if you liked all three. If you only liked one, well, hell, no guarantee. Of course, there is no guarantee even if you liked all three I mentioned :heartrain:

<Sniffing wrist again> Carnations, I swear. It's that kind of "spicy" at any rate. It's another keeper. But I figured that :wink:
Last edited by Boudicca on Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boudicca

Post by Boudicca »

Wearing this one again today. I think it's the combo of myrrh and camphor that is making me think "spicy". I do like it quite a lot :heartrain: