Cupid and Psyche (Valentines - Couples 2013)

All the great fragrances from Valentines 2013 should be filed here. This includes the Couples scents and Henry VIII and His six Wives, too.

Moderator: Maya

hill78
principalities
principalities

Cupid and Psyche (Valentines - Couples 2013)

Post by hill78 »

Love and the soul, one of the first and most psychologically devastating tales in ancient mythology. The god, Cupid falls in love with the mortal, Psyche, much to the major annoyance of his mother, Venus (the goddess of Love). Trials and tribulations abound on the way to true bliss between the lovers. This is the base story for Beauty and the Beast, and in the end, psyche becomes immortal through the power of love. Sweet black vanilla and finest Mexican vanilla dance with the finest patchouli and end up on a bed of incense. Truly a breathless beauty of a fragrance, a classic Possets foody done with all the sticky resin of the east and the staying power of forbidden love itself. Be transported to a paradise in your own mind.

Well, in the bottle this is all sweet black vanilla, and I'm excited. Unfortunately, once on my skin, this goes CRAZY masculine. I guess it's the particular incense note in combination with this particular patchouli. I think this one is going to go into my Hubby's scent box. It will be awesome on him! The patchouli has a nice woodsiness to it, which is lovely with the vanilla. I just wish more of the vanilla sweetness came through. This is more Cupid than Psyche on my skin, but it will still be put to good use.
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cupid and Psyche (Valentines - Couples 2013)

Post by Maya »

hill78 wrote:I guess it's the particular incense note in combination with this particular patchouli.
Do you have any other Possets that you can compare the incense note with (and, for that matter, the patchouli, too)?
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
hill78
principalities
principalities

Post by hill78 »

Maya wrote:
hill78 wrote:I guess it's the particular incense note in combination with this particular patchouli.
Do you have any other Possets that you can compare the incense note with (and, for that matter, the patchouli, too)?
I'll have to see if I have anything else to compare it too. It doesn't seem to be the same incense that is in Black River. I'm going to test it again once it has rested and see if I can come up with anything else helpful :)
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

hill78 wrote:I'll have to see if I have anything else to compare it too. It doesn't seem to be the same incense that is in Black River. I'm going to test it again once it has rested and see if I can come up with anything else helpful :)
Thank you so much. I do appreciate it. :flow:
hill78
principalities
principalities

Post by hill78 »

Maya, I attempted another test with this one last night....and I actually had to wash it off. Don't get me wrong, It smells quite good, but it is *way* too manly on me. It must be the particular type of patch (nothing that I recognize from other Possets) combined with this particular incense. Once it hits my skin it is just a big ole man fest and I had to wash it off. I can do unisex...but this was too much. I'm sorry I can't be of more help, my nose just can't seem to separate the patch and incense in this one. In the bottle I get a ton of the bubble-gum black vanilla, but it is nearly gone within seconds of touching my skin.
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

Thank you for trying. I do appreciate it!
Boudicca

Post by Boudicca »

Strangely enough, now I'm really wanting this one.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds
gypsyjolie
principalities
principalities

Post by gypsyjolie »

wet: Bazooka bubble gum, lovely thick vanilla, and faint gritty patchouli

drying: a menthol tinge has appeared. Wintergreen-y bubblegum patchouli. Odd.

full drydown: Vanilla and bubblegum completely gone. Patchouli is dark and gritty, manly. I still get some sort of wintergreen-ish or menthol-ish note, which I guess is coming from the incense? Very masculine. Hard to pick out what the incense is - maybe myrrh, as there is a bit of a sweaty skin musk/bandaid scent happening and it often goes that way for me. Warm, dry, patchouli and sort of the smell of used bandaids.

Edited to add a big surprise: so I got busy and forgot to wash this off, and about 40 mins later was smelling something very nice. The vanilla came back! It's a bit balsam/play Doh ish vanilla (I think the bazooka bubble gum scent is its forerunner) - warm and French vanilla ish. The patchouli is still very black and gritty and earthy, but I can now catch the incense too - smells like frankincense and myrrh to me - slightly citrussy and slightly oily. The incense is not the major player - to me the patchouli still is the dominant scent.

If you like your patch rough and your vanilla warm, and can wait for it, this is not a bad scent after all!

I suspect a bit of aging will help smooth this out as well.
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. ~ e e cummings
Floria
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by Floria »

In the vial, this is very vanilla, but not in a buttercream kind of way, with a bit of bubblegum. On skin, there's a stage that reminds me of rootbeer, since there's the dark vanilla combined with an odd spiciness vaguely reminiscent of wintergreen or sassafras. Then the patchouli and incense come out - and if there is myrrh in here, it doesn't seem to be the kind that goes dusty on me. This leads into a drier stage that I'm not as fond of, which I suspect may be dependent on skin chemistry, since one wrist retained more vanilla than the other. The later drydown is rather fainter and softer, and the patchouli and incense soften up and merge with the remains of the vanilla.

I really like this. I have quite a few vanilla scents, but this isn't really like any of them. If this doesn't make it into the GC, I may need a backup bottle.
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

Floria wrote:...Then the patchouli and incense come out - and if there is myrrh in here, it doesn't seem to be the kind that goes dusty on me.
Do you have any other Possets that you can compare the incense to?