Cupid and Psyche (Valentines - Couples 2013)

All the great fragrances from Valentines 2013 should be filed here. This includes the Couples scents and Henry VIII and His six Wives, too.

Moderator: Maya

thesibylqueen
archangel
archangel

Re: Cupid and Psyche (Valentines - Couples 2013)

Post by thesibylqueen »

I totally passed on this when Fabienne described it as 'a classic Possets foody' -- I'm sooo not a foodie! -- but the reviews have me so curious. Would folks say this is a big foodie scent or more incense-y/resin-y?
My swap/sell list as well as my wishlist: http://www.possets.com/talking/viewtopi ... 1491#p1491
Floria
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by Floria »

thesibylqueen wrote:I totally passed on this when Fabienne described it as 'a classic Possets foody' -- I'm sooo not a foodie! -- but the reviews have me so curious. Would folks say this is a big foodie scent or more incense-y/resin-y?
It's not buttery or cakey at all. The vanilla is more like a vanilla extract or very dark cream soda rather than something from a bakery. I also got a bubblegum-like note, but this doesn't seem to be universal. The sweetness level seems powerfully dependent on skin chemistry.
Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos »

In the bottle: Well, as my fellow possitere, floria, said, "...a bit of bubble gum." Actually in the bottle, to me at least, it smells like Twizzlers, bubble gum, and those lovely thick round, obnoxiously pink, wintergreen candies I loved as a child (and still do). In fact, it smells like ate all of the chocolate out of my Halloween begging sack and all I have left are the Twizzlers, Bazooka Joe, and wintergreen candies. I don't get vanilla or patchouli at all (so those who don't like patch, unlike me, no worries. This isn't the patchouli you worry about).

Wet: same, Bazooka Joe, Twizzlers, but the Wintergreen goes away quickly upon application.

Warmed by skin: This turns into something, light, fun, and very lovely. It's a lively scent. A playful scent, without any pretension, or pretense. It's not a scent for that little black dress, or sultry evenings. This is for daytime dates with lunch and something you do to be frivolous and lighthearted. This is how I imagine Eros and Psyche would be as a couple (once the seriousness of the whole tragedy of their first heady days of love in the dark and his leaving. This is the scent of their "happy ever after." This is the scent of that fun couple we all know (or you may be that couple).

Later: This just gets lovelier and lovelier. It's never vanilla and patchouli and incense. This is a masterpiece. All the notes blend together so well it's more than a sum of it's parts. Again, this never is a heavy scent despite patchouli and incense. It's light and lovely, but has sticking power, on my skin, at least.

Conclusion: I was really dubious about this scent from sniffing it in the bottle. A swipe on the back of my hand was not enough. This perfume really needs a good wrist test. Don't be put off by the bubblegum, Twizzler, wintergreen aspects in the bottle :gnome: (like this little smiley with the gnome). Nor should anyone who doesn't usually like patchouli, or vanilla, run away from this scent. If you can get a decant, I'd highly recommend you do it and give this scent a go.
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

I just got my bottle out of the mail box today, and on the way to the store I dabbed some on.

First impressions on my skin: Juicy fruit bubble gum. Say whaaaa? Yeah, juicy fruit. In about five minutes, it began to fade down to something that smelled faintly like a greasy mechanic rag. *Here is where I thought, "Okay, wow travel shock!"

In about five more minutes, it shifted some more, and then I was getting vanilla/juicy fruit and....Brut? It was so strong, I was tempted to pull into the closest drug store to sniff the Brut LOL.

Here, I was really not liking this one (almost feeling nauseated while sniffing it), but kept telling myself, "Travel shock, travel shock, give it a break."

I ran into the store, got my shopping done, came out and sniffed again, and this had shifted to a vanilla-y sarsparilla soda with a dry very masculine woody edge. Hmmm that I might be able to handle, but it's still not quite...hmmm.

After about an hour and a half on my skin, this has tamed down to being a snuggly-ish scent, although it is definitely much more masculine and less foody than I expected. I would love to smell this one on my husband, but I know he would think it's too much. I'm going to have to try this one again in a few days. I am sure this is going to shift a lot once it warms up and gets away from the shock of travel.
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
Boudicca

Post by Boudicca »

So I did finally get this one -- I so appreciate ya'll who reviewed!
I wish I had not read "bubblegum" so much cuz I was then expecting it and totally got it. Did not really get the incense, which I wanted. I mean, incense and bubblegum, love that!
That's ok, "layered" it with Black River and that was pretty damn good! Oh geez, I'm going to try it with Joan next time. I'm probably losing my mind....
Haven't made up my mind on this one yet.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds
lulu
archangel
archangel

Post by lulu »

I managed to get a decant of this via a sales page.......first up it's all bubblegum 'n' bandaids, not wild about this stage but it quickly passes and I get almost all incense. Yep 100% incense all the way, it's okay but not really my thing to wear. I get no vanilla at all!

Hours later the drydown is really very lovely and snuggly and soothing (maybe this is the vanilla?) so I'm glad I have a part bottle to wear occasionally :wink: