Henry VIII and Jane Seymour (Valentines 2013)

All the great fragrances from Valentines 2013 should be filed here. This includes the Couples scents and Henry VIII and His six Wives, too.

Moderator: Maya

hill78
principalities
principalities

Henry VIII and Jane Seymour (Valentines 2013)

Post by hill78 »

Henry started to dally with Jane while married to Anne Boleyn. Jane played a very cool and pious girl but never missed an opportunity to show off her impeccable taste in clothes and her good behavior (in contrast to Anne's outbursts and wildness). Henry loved to overcome her with masculine strength and he seemed content with her from the beginning, which was soon after Anne lost her head. At this point, Henry was starting to become overbearing, fat, and short of temper. He famously chastised meek Jane once who offered her opinion on state religion in front of several courtiers. She was verbally slapped down and put in her place by her husband. Approximately after they were married, she gave birth to a son, Edward VI (who would indeed ascend the throne only to die at age 16). She contracted childbed fever and died a very painful death shortly after giving Henry the son he had wished for. Henry is buried next to her. Jane was supposed to have been Henry's favorite wife and so this blend is all sweetness and light woven into the theme of Henry and the Tudor times of deep cut satin, plush velvet, and pearls sewn into the clothes people wore. Red musk makes a soft bed for the most pure hawthorne, golden honey, fine fat vanilla, and sweetest amber.

Yum! Now this one is exactly what I expected! I definitely get the red musk, wonderfully sensual with a hint of fruitiness. The golden honey, sweet amber, and fine fat vanilla are all there, woven through the red musk. I don't reconize the hawthorne, but I have no idea what it smells like, so take that for what it's worth. This is lovely, and will most definitely be seeing a lot of rotation in my collection. Primarily a red musk, vanilla, and amber scent. This reminds me a bit of something from BPAL, The Infernal Lover, thanks to the strong red musk and honey.
mina
preternatural being
preternatural being

Re: Henry VIII and Jane Seymour (Valentines 2013)

Post by mina »

Like I said in my first impressions it reminds me of Iowa.
For me Iowa is like milk, sugar and vanilla boiling in a pan.
When Iowa is the country, Jane Seymour is her (his?) sophisticated cousin from the town.
There is definitely something red in Jane Seymour, almost fruity but not really.
It's a comforting, sweet and feminine fragrance.
magpie84
a spark
a spark

Post by magpie84 »

In the vial, this smells very buttery and reminds me of popcorn or kettle corn. On the skin, this starts out as a rich, buttery vanilla with honey and amber. The red musk comes through more as it dries down and adds a bit of fruitiness.
gypsyjolie
principalities
principalities

Post by gypsyjolie »

The red musk is nice, sticky (resiny) and slightly fruity in a vaguely berry sort of way. Then there is a lot of buttery vanilla, though luckily the the buttery feeling calms down. Settles into vanilla and that sticky red musk. The vanilla is similar to my nose to Liquid Tinsel or Ponder, both of which are warm and sort of sticky vanillas, with a vaguely plastic-y aspect. Maybe that's the amber combining with vanilla?

This scent is sweet, vaguely fruity, vanillac, sweet but more mature than candy-sweet. It's sort of nostalgic, like sniffing Strawberry Shortcake dolls. Comforting.
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. ~ e e cummings
wl552
powers
powers

Post by wl552 »

This is so strange! On my skin, all I'm getting is a spicyhot cherry fizz type thing. o.o I really like it, but it's the complete opposite, it seems, from what everyone else is getting. The soda aspect might have the teeny tiniest hint of vanilla if I really huff and analyze it, but quick, casual sniffs... it's just not really there for me.

Ah! I just now grabbed a lip balm... Shirley Temple... it's a perfect match for the way Jane smells on my skin - that fizzy cherry 7-up. Does anyone else get this from it?

Edit: Okay! There's the honey vanilla! So now, I have a smoother cherry vanilla honey. It's delightful! I'm going to have to get a bottle of this.
simonetta_vespucci
mortal
mortal

Post by simonetta_vespucci »

alas, though i have loved all henry's other wives well, this one doth go to vanilla baby-powder air freshener on me. the kind thou wouldst put in thy car (if thou thoughtst not that car air fresheners were universally icky). "fat" sweet scents are often not my thing. looks like it's much yummier on everyone else. wherefore, be ye not dissuaded from the trial or purchase thereof.

i do get yon cherry-ish vibe from the honey. no idea if that might be a hawthorn interaction happening.
fabienne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fabienne »

:rofl: Thou spake of thy car! Sooth! What if ye tye tie a locket 'round a horse's neck, would he then smell like a babe? :rofl:
I have sniffed the Panties of Ptah!
simonetta_vespucci
mortal
mortal

Post by simonetta_vespucci »

sayest verily. hahahaha

and it's official. having scrubbed off jane, i replaced her with catherine of aragon, who is as delightful as the other 4. so i guess jane seymour:simonetta vespucci::anne of cleves:henry tudor.

and now, between the fakespearean dialogue and the analogy, i shall accept my crown (and fabulously sparkly beaded ruff) as nerdiest valentine reviewer for 2013.
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

This is very berryish mixed with cream when first applied to my skin. Within an hour, it begins to soften down to where I can actually get the amber. The vanilla is toothsome and warms this up, and I like the addition of the hawthorn to keep this a little roughed up so it's not overwhelmingly sweet or smooth. Just like Catherine Howard, I don't get much honey from this one, but I'm sure it's in there providing some of the sweetness.

This one is cozy, snuggly, and happy.
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
FrenchWaffle
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by FrenchWaffle »

In the bottle: sweetness with some sharpness to it
Wet: the red musk comes it to play a little bit more. I can totally see where some people were getting Shirley Temple vibe from.
Dry: Soft honeyed vanilla with a hint of something spicy/berrish. Not a super strong scent, but I keep getting occasional bursts of the scent throughout the day.

Final Thoughts: I am glad I went out on a limb for this, I love the combination of honey, amber, and vanilla. However, I am not the biggest fan on the red musk note in Jane, it does give the rest of the notes a little more amp which is great, but I am not the biggest fan of straight up candy smelling notes. So long stpry short, I like the bottle I have but I am not really going to miss it when it's gone.
"Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don’t plan it, don’t wait for it, just let it happen. It could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair or two cups of good hot black coffee." -Twin Peaks