JFK and Jackie (Valentines - Couples 2013)

All the great fragrances from Valentines 2013 should be filed here. This includes the Couples scents and Henry VIII and His six Wives, too.

Moderator: Maya

hill78
principalities
principalities

JFK and Jackie (Valentines - Couples 2013)

Post by hill78 »

Unbelievably well bred but with a superabundance of animal magnetism, this perfume is like a candid snapshot of John Kennedy and his astounding wife, Jacqueline Bouvier. both of them were almost worshiped as the most alluring people of their day, and their charm lives on. I do remember that one of Jack's favorite colognes was Jockey club, and Jackie would famously steal a bit from him from time to time, especially when she was riding. A snap of the finest leather, a bit of oakmoss, combined with tabac blonde essence, a whiff of tea, and the warmth of silk. Comforting but not usual by any means. Beautiful and modern but with enough of the Old World charm to have you reach for it very often. A classic of which you would never tire.

Unisex. Very difficult to pick apart. I don't have a lot of familiarity with Fabienne's leather accords, I've really only tried Girls Love Leather, so not a lot to compare this too. I do get a soft fuzziness that I would liken to a very well worn, expensive leather. It is soft though, not a harsh or chemical leather note. Once this is dry, the leather recedes into the background. Now I'm getting mostly the oakmoss and tea (I think), I almost thought I was picking up some bergamot, but maybe that's just something about the particular combination of notes in here. I can't pick out the silk, since that isn't a note I'm familiar with, but I think I sense a warm smoothness to the base that could be it? Overall this is a clean, but warm scent. Comfortable, soft, and uplifting. I do see myself reaching for this one quite a lot!
Boudicca

Re: JFK and Jackie (Valentines - Couples 2013)

Post by Boudicca »

I tried this yesterday and you are right, this one is hard to pick apart. The leather is a little subtle for me (I have possettes of The Girls Love Leather also, and Testosterone, and I can't really compare this to either).
I get the oakmoss (I may have finally figured it out!) but I didn't really get the tea. I did get the idea of silk from it though.
I do like this though. I stick with my initial impression of "classy".
FTR, I really need try all these that I have "reviewed" a few more times. Funny how they can change :heluvme:
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds
gypsyjolie
principalities
principalities

Post by gypsyjolie »

This is very lovely. It smells like a Kennedy - refined, classic, expensive, complex.

The leather is nice, worn but oiled, classy, rich but not in your face, like an expensive armchair in a library. The tabac blonde is a fabulous almost sweet dry tobacco, which is fabulous with the oakmoss. I love oakmoss. There is something about the throw of this that also has another green element - almost floral. It makes me think of ferns in a big brass pot in a gentlemen's library.

Unisex, warm, slightly outdoorsy, clean (but not aquatic), classy, nice throw.
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. ~ e e cummings
InThePines
a spark
a spark

Post by InThePines »

I really like this one! To my very untrained nose, this reminds me of Adamus with leather in the background. I agree with gypsyjolie that there is a green element to this and it's definitely unisex. Smells expensive and lovely. I can see wearing this year round, but I think I'll personally like to wear this on warmer days.
FrenchWaffle
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by FrenchWaffle »

I am pretty sure I want to order this. However the oakmoss gives me pause (bpal's Salome was absolutely horrible on me). Is the oakmoss in this on the astringent side? Or do the other notes help balance it all out?
"Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don’t plan it, don’t wait for it, just let it happen. It could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair or two cups of good hot black coffee." -Twin Peaks
hill78
principalities
principalities

Post by hill78 »

FrenchWaffle wrote:I am pretty sure I want to order this. However the oakmoss gives me pause (bpal's Salome was absolutely horrible on me). Is the oakmoss in this on the astringent side? Or do the other notes help balance it all out?
I dont find it astringent. I get a hint of a citrus sort of feel when wet, but it is never astringent to my nose. Quite well balanced.
Boudicca

Post by Boudicca »

hill78 wrote:
FrenchWaffle wrote:I am pretty sure I want to order this. However the oakmoss gives me pause (bpal's Salome was absolutely horrible on me). Is the oakmoss in this on the astringent side? Or do the other notes help balance it all out?
I dont find it astringent. I get a hint of a citrus sort of feel when wet, but it is never astringent to my nose. Quite well balanced.
I don't find it astringent either. "Well balanced" is apt. In addition, I'd say I find it easy to wear.
Boudicca

Post by Boudicca »

Wearing this again today... I really like it and will be voting for it as there is nothing like it (that I know of) in the permanent catalogue. Oh, I am not "in love" with it, but I am becoming very fond of it.
I really think this is one you could wear with jeans, a LBD, or anything in between. I think it's totally suitable for the workplace... yes, not just mine.
I kind of wish it was a little stronger, but at the same time I realize that could ruin it.
Lol, btw, it works with eau de shoe polish! Seriously, I was wearing my fav pair of boots today (being my fav, they are a little old but in damn good shape). Rubbed some polish in before leaving for work and my boots are looking new again, and weird but I love the smell of shoe polish....
wl552
powers
powers

Post by wl552 »

Aggh! Now I'm wishing I'd gotten a decant of this too. (I probably should've just gotten a decant of everything I didn't bottle right away. :s:)
FrenchWaffle
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by FrenchWaffle »

JFK and Jackie -straight up tea, very sweet with something more in the background. But when I went to work out, suddenly JFK was there leather and some sort of classy masculine edge, working very nicely with the tea note. Perhaps I just needed more body heat to get the rest of the notes? I really like this one, too bad it didn't make the cut for permanent
"Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don’t plan it, don’t wait for it, just let it happen. It could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair or two cups of good hot black coffee." -Twin Peaks