Henry VIII and Catherine of Aragon

All the great fragrances from Valentines 2013 should be filed here. This includes the Couples scents and Henry VIII and His six Wives, too.

Moderator: Maya

wl552
powers
powers

Henry VIII and Catherine of Aragon

Post by wl552 »

Henry VIII was the prime catch in all the Western world. He elder brother, Arthur, had died and now Henry was primed for king. Handsome, tall, red haired, witty, creative, musical, a terrific writer, and a devoted Catholic; he was all the things that Catherine of Aragon (the daughter of Ferdinand and Isabella, the Most Catholic Kings of Spain) could possibly have wished for. Henry was smitten with her and she with him and they were united in happy matrimony. years passed and she bore him only one surviving child, a daughter, Mary, who would indeed one day ascend the throe. But in the mean time, at the beginning of their union, Henry was so in love with love that he had eyes for no one but the pious and pure Catherine. It is said that he followed her around like a puppy dog and delighted in worshiping with her daily. he wrote his famous treatise defending the Catholic Church while under her spell (a work which earned him the title Defender of the Faith, one which the monarch of Great Britain still carries). This fragrance honors red haired and handsome Henry and his lovely Spanish bride. Red musk, smoky and greenish carnation, yellow saffron, incense, and a bit of rioja grape. Strong and pure and deep and delightfully satisfying, it's my portrait of their happy beginnings.
---

Of the four I've tested so far, this is by far the prettiest, most feminine of them. But don't let the word feminine put you out. It's no where near girly. Wearing it today, I feel very pretty, charming, and likeable. It seemed as if people smiled at me more and were more friendly. Almost as if this scent is like a powerful charm spell. I completely adore it.

The red musk in this series is just gorgeous. It's not overpowering like some I've sniffed. Fabienne has a light touch with it that is perfection. It melts beautifully with the incense-y grape (and this is the delightful, sweet fruity aspect that has knocked my socks off, but don't worry, you won't smell like a vineyard!), and the florals in this are soft and so pretty. There is nothing, nothing, nothing harsh about this at all. I say that because of the carnation and saffron which both tend to have spicy or peppery overtones. I get none at all, but they are indeed there!

Like I said, I feel as if I'm truly beautiful wearing this. Charming, a little sophisticated, yet soft and approachable, and very much woman. I really, really like this one.
simonetta_vespucci
mortal
mortal

Re: Henry VIII and Catherine of Aragon

Post by simonetta_vespucci »

aaah, you are making me want my decant quite desperately. and i don't even like grape scents.
sthenno
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by sthenno »

Maybe it is because I am a floral lover that this one seemed SO strange to me. It smelled like really old flowers, lots of sharp green bite underneath a dusty exterior. I am really unsure about this one and will have to revisit it, but I don't get floral much at all. :/
gypsyjolie
principalities
principalities

Post by gypsyjolie »

First I get carnation: "greenish and smoky" is the description, and this reminds me of South Carolina's chrysanthemums. Spicy, dry, almost smoky. The incense feeds into this smokiness and spiciness. This scent is less "dry" than SC is- probably from the red musk base. I don't get a grape scent identifiably, but it's probably adding to the fruitiness of the red musk. It's grapey like white wine is, not like Concord Grapes.

This is quite striking, and is really lovely as it sits and warms on my skin. It's dry, smokey in an incense way, almost clove-y spicy from the carnation, and the saffron adds a slightly peppery touch. It's rich and a bit remininscent of the level of finery that I associate with old majesty - layers of silks and embroidery, rich velvets, old books, and jewelled candelabras of candles burning - it really evokes the Tudor period for me. It's a romantic scent, rich and complex but dark and warm and sort of cozy too.

This could be unisex - the warmth and spice and dryness could work on either gender. This is a winter/fall scent in my mind - it seems too heavy for warm weather.
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. ~ e e cummings
simonetta_vespucci
mortal
mortal

Post by simonetta_vespucci »

what gypsiejolie said.

the dry-yet-sweet, lightly incensey throw of this one is especially nice. pure class.
Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos »

Florals make me nervous, but carnation tends to be spicy or peppery. So, I am leaning towards this one, but with trepidation. But it sounds like one I think I'd like and would do well on my skin. What say you all who've tried it?
thesibylqueen
archangel
archangel

Post by thesibylqueen »

I'm having a hard time nailing down the scent of this one.

In the bottle, grape/berry, and wet, it was all Jolly Rancher. But pretty quickly it went dry -- I smell the sort of peppery/pencil scent of carnation, almost a sort of 'stone' sent -- very dry (is that the saffron? maybe incense). It doesn't have much throw, but is very intense on the skin.
My swap/sell list as well as my wishlist: http://www.possets.com/talking/viewtopi ... 1491#p1491
gypsyjolie
principalities
principalities

Post by gypsyjolie »

Atropos, despite the carnation, this is not a floral scent. It's spicy, dry, rich, and a bit exotic. I am mostly a floral-phobe too!
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. ~ e e cummings
Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos »

Thanks gypsyjolie! I am thinking on this one for the sale this weekend. Making my list and checking it twice, trying to figure out who'll be naughty on my skin, or nice. :grin:
allegro_barbaro
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by allegro_barbaro »

Gypsiejolie nailed this one, perfect description. I love love love carnations and here they are, nestled among some grapes bearing a mouth puckering yeast bloom. The saffron and red musk give it some serious sensuality. It wears close to the skin but some things are better that way.
"Look like the innocent flower, but be th' serpent under't"