Henry VIII and Anne of Cleves

All the great fragrances from Valentines 2013 should be filed here. This includes the Couples scents and Henry VIII and His six Wives, too.

Moderator: Maya

simonetta_vespucci
mortal
mortal

Henry VIII and Anne of Cleves

Post by simonetta_vespucci »

"It was quite a while before Henry was on the hunt again for a new wife to keep him company. At one point, the ladies had fought over the opportunity to be the wife of such a fine prince but now that Henry was obese, foul tempered, estranged from the Church, and such a cruel ex-husband or ill fated man that he actually got turn downs from the women who were asked if they were interested (Notably the lovely Christina of Sweden) or he was hopelessly put off by anxious parents and diplomats who saw no advantage to being allied with a nation which had broken with their theological heritage. At last Henry was given a beautiful portrait of a beautiful girl, Anne of Cleves. Done by Hans Holbein, the painting glows with a tender pretty woman dressed in charming Low Country garb. Henry was smitten and felt he had to move fast. He proposed and was married to her in proxy. Eager to meet his bride, Henry's face fell hard when the real Anne of Cleves appeared in front of him in England. Short and stout, dressed in an uninspired way and of ungainly manners, Henry would have none of her! He refused to consummate the marriage and sent her away declaring her "My beloved sister". It is purported that Anne was delighted that she didn't have to really be married to a horrid, arrogant, cruel, smelly tyrant like Henry, and is said she happily spent her years living in the English countryside as a guest of Henry for the rest of her life. Red and green musks, sage, apples."

Ahhh. It's been a long time since I got a scent with sage in it. nice earthy edge. otherwise we have delicious apple (there is a bit of a sweet-tart candies quality to the fruit); red musk that doesn't blow you away; green musk - which i always like; and that's about it. reminds me of bpal's poisoned apple, which i also like, although with more oomph from the muskiz. uncomplicated and pretty!
sthenno
preternatural being
preternatural being

Re: Henry VIII and Anne of Cleves

Post by sthenno »

Oh, the apples! Crisp, wonderful apples. I smell a smidgeon of sage and the musk lifts the apple up. Kinda sweet like candy but grounded. I must have a bottle of this, I am in love. :heartrain:
simonetta_vespucci
mortal
mortal

i was pondering more and i think it is the apple plus green musk plus sage that makes this so nice. i love when fragrances and tastes are more than the sum of their parts!
jackieo
archangel
archangel

Post by jackieo »

:heartrise:

Thankfully, one of the wives works on my skin. This is so lovely. The first note is bright apples, but then the musk comes out and it becomes a nice soft scent. I will be buying a full bottle of this one.
thesibylqueen
archangel
archangel

Post by thesibylqueen »

I know fruits don't work on me, but I just couldn't resist getting this. Wet, I got all ambigu-fruit (not even strong apple) with a hint of a kind of soft dryness I think was the sage or one of the musks. Dry, about an hour later, I can't smell it on me, although my Posset-y coworker said she likes the smell on me. When she sniffed the bottle, she said it reminded her of BPAL's Agape --- very spring-y. I'm having a hard time nailing down this one -- I can't even say what I'm smelling.
My swap/sell list as well as my wishlist: http://www.possets.com/talking/viewtopi ... 1491#p1491
simonetta_vespucci
mortal
mortal

i want a posset-y coworker!
and i bet your hard to identify dry smell is the sage. the way it blends with the musks and the edge of the apple part of the scent is really cool.
thesibylqueen
archangel
archangel

Post by thesibylqueen »

Not to brag, but it is very awesome having a scent addict as a co-worker -- I got her hooked on Possets so now I have a co-conspirator in awesomeness!! She's also super helpful at sussing out how things smell.

I think you're right on the sage -- it's a perfumed dryness, but not perfume-y, if that makes sense!
simonetta_vespucci wrote:i want a posset-y coworker!
and i bet your hard to identify dry smell is the sage. the way it blends with the musks and the edge of the apple part of the scent is really cool.
My swap/sell list as well as my wishlist: http://www.possets.com/talking/viewtopi ... 1491#p1491