Henry VIII and Catherine Howard (Valentines 2013)

All the great fragrances from Valentines 2013 should be filed here. This includes the Couples scents and Henry VIII and His six Wives, too.

Moderator: Maya

hill78
principalities
principalities

Henry VIII and Catherine Howard (Valentines 2013)

Post by hill78 »

Catherine Howard was a beautiful girl with loose morals. Her parents were exceptionally ambitious and so they prayed that their daughter was was not "enciente" when they dangled her under Henry's nose.At this point, Henry was vastly older than Catherine but Catherine would have loved to be Queen so she lead him on to thinking that she was aching to wed him and to minister to his every need. She got her wish and became the May to his December. The court rolled their eyes to see bulging jewel-encrusted Henry waddling after his lithe and flippant wife. It wasn't long before tongues started to wag about her affairs and flirtations. Several courtiers knew they would be better off if she were out of their way politically, and so a string of lovers (real and imagined) were produced. As Henry wasn't as sexually satisfied as he had hoped to be, he took the opportunity to punish Catherine. She refused to believe that her devoted Henry would kill her, as he had Anne Boleyn, but she was taken to jail and charged with treason and adultery. She was arrested at Hampton Court but escaped her captors for long enough to run down the hallway to the chapel screaming for Henry before she was apprehended and hauled away. It was said that the king heard the commotion but did not react. She was between 17 and 19 when she died.She was beheaded and her family lived in disgrace. Red musk, bitter galbanum, sweet honey, myrrh,creamy custard.

This is primarily red musk with just a hint of creamy sweetness and a hint of dusty resins (myrrh tends to be somewhat warm, dusty, and fuzzy on me). The honey in this one is not as strong as Jane Seymour, I actually can't pick it out on it's own. I like this, but I had hoped for a stronger creaminess. Age may help bring that element forward a bit more, I suppose, so I'm going to hang onto this Catherine and see what happens.
simonetta_vespucci
mortal
mortal

Re: Henry VIII and Catherine Howard (Valentines 2013)

Post by simonetta_vespucci »

ok, i wanted a full set of the wives (lol) but did not expect to love this one - custard is a scary note for me. but add galbanum and myrrh and lo! rich, bright deliciousness! i have loved all 4 wives i've met so far. awesome collection, ms. fab.
fabienne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fabienne »

Thanks! I have wanted to bring out all 6 wives, and this was my excuse for it. teh Red Musk was such a great element. I needed to show it off.
I have sniffed the Panties of Ptah!
simonetta_vespucci
mortal
mortal

Post by simonetta_vespucci »

ok seriously... right now i am sitting in a meeting with nothing more meaningful to do than enjoy how awesome i smell! in a custard scent! never say never, as bond/biebs/swift would say. this stuff is YOM.
magpie84
a spark
a spark

Post by magpie84 »

In the vial, this one scares me a bit-it smells like cherry flavored cough syrup :huh: . Thankfully, that sharp cherry note calms down once I apply it to my skin. I get the soft fruity red musk and the sweet custard with just a hint of bitterness from the galbanum.
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

I'm trying this one again today. The sharp notes I got initially from it have calmed considerably after sitting in my house for a while.

This is much nicer today. I still get less honey from this, although when I huff hard I get a note that reminds me of Abraxas without being Abraxas. It's very creamy and soft on my skin with that red fruit and musk being dominant. The cream/custard comes in underneath and holds this steady, and I get the myrrh down in the bottom holding some tension in this to keep it from tipping over into too girly or too sweet. This is nicely balanced.

I didn't get cherry primarily from it--I tried it with too many others (and Catherine of Aragon was bleeding over into a lot of the ones I tried). When I tried it again, I think it was still somewhat in shock from travel. Today though, this is smoothly cherries and cream with the myrrh coming in to hold it all together. I can see why people are getting the cherry cough syrup, but that fades relatively quickly on me.

There are aspects of this that remind me of Meltbaby, but this doesn't have the waxy chapstick note and this one is a bit more pungent due to the myrrh and honey.
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
katiushka
archangel
archangel

Post by katiushka »

I fell in love with this!

I get red musk and something that smells like grapes in the beginning (is that labdanum and honey mixed together)? In a few minutes it settles into red musk and creamy custard, which turns out to be just my thing.

Sits close to the skin and longevity is a few hours, but I don't mind.