William and Matilde (Valentine's 2013)

All the great fragrances from Valentines 2013 should be filed here. This includes the Couples scents and Henry VIII and His six Wives, too.

Moderator: Maya

Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

William and Matilde (Valentine's 2013)

Post by Maya »

Possets' description: "William was illegitimate but made the Duke of Normandy. Impetuous and energetic, he married Matilde of Flanders who was every bit a match for him. She was the only person on Earth he would not cross, not out of fear but out of respect. She was beautiful, accomplished, wise and very good in bed. They had 9 children. She kept William wrapped around her little finger and was the best possible Queen of England all their reigning years. Chypre, essence of pollen, sage. A beautiful and sophisticated and dry but very very alluring blend."

Wet in the bottle: This still reminds me of warm linens freshly sprayed with a soft fragrance as the linen is being ironed. I get a touch of an ambery aspect that I'm taking as the pollen.

Immediately on my skin: I get what I think is the sage aspect and the pollen coming together. I really want to like this a lot...however, there is something about this that, no matter how hard I try to not equate it as, comes across as 1980's hairspray. I remember dorm rooms full of girls spraying all brands until the air was thick with spray, and this reminds me of that. What?! Why?! I remember when I tested it before how I'm pretty sure I loved the drydown so I'm going to see if it settles any.

As it dries down, more of the sage comes out and I think that's what is lending to that hair spray note. I keep looking for that beautiful chypre that Fabienne does so well, and it's just not coming up for me.

As it dries further, the sage continues to hold. I'm finally getting that chypre, but it is so very soft. This comes across as a fresh scent and I think the sage is helping that. Sadly, I'm still getting that hairspray note that could also be warm linens fresh under an iron. It's herbal without being herbal.

About an hour or so after wearing this, I finally get that beautiful chypre as a snuggly lovely skin note. Now, the hairspray note and the pollenish note blend beautifully with this and become something clean, fresh, and verging toward warm. Despite being clean and fresh, this has a depth to it from the chypre.

I think on the right person, this will be an absolute stunner. For me, that hairspray note just hangs around too long and keeps me from falling totally in love with it. Boooo. *Weeps bitterly in my coffee
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
amberosmanthus
archangel
archangel

Re: William and Matilde (Valentine's 2013)

Post by amberosmanthus »

Can anyone add a review? I'd love to hear more about this one.
thesibylqueen
archangel
archangel

Post by thesibylqueen »

This one is a strange beauty.

Wet, I got lots of sage, but now, about an hour and half later, it's smoothed into this very dry, very sophisticated (but not particularly perfume-y) scent. It feels reminiscent of late summer to me -- dry, sunny afternoons, not exactly grassy, but with a more earthy note.

I don't know what single note chypre smells like, but I wonder if it is the almost dusty note to the perfume -- or is that pollen? This smell reminds me of the scent of line-dried clothes that were washed in unscented soap -- there's no floral here, just the warm dustiness of sunshine and outside.

Totally smitten.
My swap/sell list as well as my wishlist: http://www.possets.com/talking/viewtopi ... 1491#p1491
funkmoppet2
archangel
archangel

Post by funkmoppet2 »

I don't get nearly as much sage from this one as I do from Charles Baudelaire Les Fleurs du Mal or Arizona, it's quite subdued in William and Matilde. The chypre is dominant on me from the very outset. Wet, the sharper green notes are evident, but they soften down as it dries and this becomes warm and lightly powdery. I can't pick out the pollen. This one has a vintage feel about it.