Henry VIII and Catherine Parr

All the great fragrances from Valentines 2013 should be filed here. This includes the Couples scents and Henry VIII and His six Wives, too.

Moderator: Maya

wl552
powers
powers

Henry VIII and Catherine Parr

Post by wl552 »

After the death of Catherine Howard, Henry took twice married Catherine Parr as his wife. She was plainer than the others but had a great patience and skill in dressing the ulcer which festered on his leg and needed constant attention from a light hand. She had the gift of not provoking him, and gave him a good deal of solace in the last years of his life. After he died, she married Thomas Seymour but is purported to have found out that he was unfaithful to her while she was pregnant with her first child. She died from complications in childbirth. Her great legacy was her tireless arguing to restore the Ladies Mary and Elizabeth to the line of succession. Catherine Parr's fragrance is Red musk, neroli (for her many marriages), sandalwood, and linen.
---

In the vial: a blast of perfume-y neroli soaked linen. It takes over the space and lingers for quite awhile, but it's nice and in no way offensive.
On skin: a lovely blend of neroli and red musk. It has a very proper lady-like feel to it, but isn't granny-ish nor stuffy.
Later: It's still very pretty... the sandalwood gives a bit of depth to the sometimes high pitched neroli and blends beautifully with the red musk. Thank goodness, I don't get a lot of the linen. I usually amp that note and it goes soapy on me. I also amp neroli, so in this battle, neroli wins and I'm lucky it plays nice on my skin and I like that note.

I'm actually considering getting a bottle of this. It's compelling and pretty in a non-floral way. I really like it.
simonetta_vespucci
mortal
mortal

Re: Henry VIII and Catherine Parr

Post by simonetta_vespucci »

this one is very powerful on me when worn full-strength as opposed to a testing dot. but, powerful in a nice way. it's one of the "good sandalwoods" that i can wear (there is one "bad" one for me, was in "queen of love and beauty".... i believe this is NOT that one). this particular, awesome red musk plus this sandalwood is a really nice combination, as it turns out. and so is neroli plus linen. yay parr! i enjoy all the catherines.
allegro_barbaro
preternatural being
preternatural being

Re: Henry VIII and Catherine Parr

Post by allegro_barbaro »

This one is all about the red musk for me. I can definitely get the neroli which is why I picked this one out of the Valentine lineup, but it serves to amplify the incensey musk. The sandalwood is hard to detect for my nose and unfortunately here is the only problem with this blend....the base notes are not strong enough for it to last on my skin. It is an easy wearing blend that could be worn for any occasion. I tend to put it to plenty use.
"Look like the innocent flower, but be th' serpent under't"