Mandorla

The wonderful collection of fresh spring fragrances paying homage to the wonders of Sacred Geometry and the system of beauty.

Moderator: Maya

Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mandorla

Post by Maya »

Possets' description: "A mandorla is the intersection of two circles. The shape is like an eye on its side. this lovely boundary can be found atop a great many church portals and if you look in the Cambienne section of this website, you find the Universal Man enclosed by a mandorla. A cherished embellishment found in the most important buildings.

The freshness of a new spring grass with fern, a hint of spearmint to give coolness to a fleeting top note. a very vernal blend, youthful and not at all tragic. A small tot of bitter galbanum and a bit of one of the coldest African Musks I have ever used. This is an exceptionally original blend, not like anything I have encountered before. great perfume to perk you up if you are flagging or too tired to really do what you have to do. Invigorating and cheery."
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
lulu
archangel
archangel

Re: Mandorla

Post by lulu »

This is such a beautiful, happy blend! In the bottle it is quite bland, a kind of watery plant smell. When you first apply, Mandorla gets quite zesty; the fern is quite astringent but it's tempered by a very tiny amount of spearmint adding a bit of freshness- it actually feels a bit cold on my wrist.

The greenery pulls right back but I can still smell some spearmint lingering- not toothpaste but lovely freshly picked spearmint plant. It curls around and is reigned in by the musk- it is an unusual combination but they smell oh so right together! I think it's their mutual coolness that is making this combo irresistible.......I actually feel that I'm getting a bit euphoric from it! :heartrain: :rofl:

Mandorla is another of the Springs that stays very close to the skin but I'm coming around to the idea that this is a good thing- I think if this one was stronger it would be too much (too cold, too high-pitched)-it's the restraint that makes it intriguing, you have to hunt for this wonderful fragrance. :heluvme:
Floria
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by Floria »

*Very* green, cool, and not notably sweet. Not entirely my thing, but I didn't have anything else like it in my collection, so I'm glad I got a decant.
I'm not certain I *like* galbanum, but it's well used here. With the other green elements, it gives a sort of dandelion-stem effect that's evocative of the bitterness of some fresh plant life. The drydown is mellower, since the galbanum softens up a lot, which allows the spearmint to stand out more, although this isn't a sinus-clearing mint blast scent or a candy mint at any point.
I don't get much grass - either the grass accord is hitting my olfactory blind spot, or the galbanum and mint overshadow it.
I can see this as an interesting unisex summer scent if you want a break from snow and citrus.
magpie84
a spark
a spark

Post by magpie84 »

Quick Impression: Fresh, Smooth, Green

When I first apply Mandorla, I mostly smell the fresh green of the fern with just a touch of mint. Underneath the green and the mint there's a perfumey musk, which becomes softer and a bit sweeter as the initial green notes fade . I'm glad I added this one to my decant order-I like it more than I thought I would.
Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos »

This is one I may just have to get a bottle of, just because, green in color and scent, is my favorite. This whole line was just amazing.
Floria
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by Floria »

My Possette box is running out of room, so I've been retesting the Possettes and decants I've been on the fence about to see which ones to keep in circulation and which to retire to the Misc. box.
It's a chilly but sunny spring day here, so probably the best time to retest this blend.
As for the scent itself... I like it in the abstract better than I did when I first tested it last year (maybe my chemistry has shifted, or it's mellowed). I don't notice quite so much galbanum bitterness, and I do like how all the different green notes play together. I'm not entirely sure it's me (I like a little more sweetness), but as a scent-picture of spring greenery on a cool bright day, it does its job.
Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Post by Petticoats »

This is a surprise love for me. The galbanum is what first pulls me in--Demon Lover made me a fan of Fabienne's galbanum--and at first the effect is wakeful, bright, a bit sharp, plus minty. After about half an hour the throw dies down and the galbanum bite eases off, and suddenly everything is softer and sweeter but still fresh, just in a non-aggressive way. It's delightful to me in both its personalities, reminding me a little of Lola Montez but more nuanced. I never used to think I liked "green" fragrances, but I'll be getting a bottle of this to see me through the summer heat.
Learn about me and my books at www.amandadewees.com.