Handkerchief Water (Natural)

Possets makes a 100% natural line which combines beauty with a daring and innovative approach which demonstrates that purity does not have to be boring!

Moderator: Maya

Gemma
archangel
archangel

Post by Gemma » Thu May 10, 2007 5:32 am

The best way I can describe this scent is to say this: I recently started to Henna my hair using the Lush caca solids, and this smells exactly like that! The same strong herbal note and, honestly, I am so sick of that smell after doing 3 applications of that stuff for 4+ hours at a time! So, no. I just can't wear this. Damn yous, Henna!!

Really, this is a shame because this scent has incredible throw and staying power. I can tell there are complexities to this, between the amber and the herbs, but my aversion to the Henna scent makes it hard for me to really pick them out.

I heartily recommend people try this as I strongly suspect it smells beautiful on everyone else but me! A lot of the naturals have very light throw but this one really clouds around you. I really could see someone dabbing this onto a handkerchief, making their entire pocket smell of herby-amber complexity.

gaia
mortal
mortal

Post by gaia » Sat May 12, 2007 11:27 am

I'm not going to try and describe all the notes I'm smelling in here......they blend so wonderfully together. It's herbal though, I'll tell you that much.
On me it smells very sophisticated and I love it! I need a bottle of this!

puck_nc
principalities
principalities

Post by puck_nc » Mon May 14, 2007 4:22 pm

Site Description: Handkerchief Water In days gone by, it was considered crass for a woman to use perfume. It was too strong and animal, it would likely upset her tender sensibilities. So handkerchief water was considered the dainty substitute. It was meant to be dabbed on one's hanky and drawn out of your sleeve and sniffed delicately and furtively before being returned to its customary place. I don't believe the perfume should be undetectable, and this handkerchief water would not do if one were looking for something too light to be smelt. But, with its large start of lime and amber combined with heady herbal and unexpressed passions and...well, you get the picture. Characteristics: foody, invigorating, scent locket, home scent, unisex, sophisticated, natural.

Origin: decant from eviltemptressdq's circle

Initial Thoughts: Mainly I was curious. Lime scents don't usually attract me and amber has a tendency to amp. But I love some of the inspirations Fabienne brings to her scents.

In the Bottle: Whoa! That's strong! Very chilly at first, almost like I'm smelling a mint mouthwash, and then the lime announces itself. This is a very sharp, cold and invigorating spring morning.

Wet: So lime it's almost like candy...I'm imagining lime Lifesavers or powdered Jello.

Drydown: The amber and herbs slide in almost unnoticed, but this is suddenly a much more masculine scent than the lime-lime-LIME of a short while ago. And it has quite the throw. A very lime-citrus herbal that I could see a man wearing on hot summer days.

Verdict: It's a very refreshing scent. I may try and get my husband to wear it, but I don't think I would wear it myself.

whiskerswhispers
principalities
principalities

Post by whiskerswhispers » Fri May 18, 2007 11:10 am

Handkerchief Water
In vial: mint, lime and amber, and a bit of cologne.
On skin: basil! Now I smell lots of basil, and it begins to smell a bit like pesto. But it's a sweet pesto, which is unusual. I still smell the lime and a lot of herbs, mint and basil being the obvious ones, with an amber undertone. it's an unusual mixture-fresh lime and mint with deeper, spicy herbs which make me think of Italian food, and a sweet golden amber. very intriguing. I love the amber that I'm getting, but the basil, much as I love it as food, seems to clash a little with the other notes. it makes me think of a salad, but with amber perfume. then I smell bergamot and tea, a kind of earl grey scent, which is very pretty. It still smells like pesto though. It then dries down to a mix of bitter citrus rinds (orange, bergamot, lemon and lime) with basil and herbs and amber, and also that spicy-dirty-earthy base I get in a lot of the Naturals, a scent which to me is like cloves, coffee and vetiver. Then this fades and I'm left with a mix of amber (which I like) and coffee with bitter citrus pith (which I'm not keen on-but still, it's not often that a citrus note lasts so long.) Then the bitterness fades leaving a lovely rich amber behind. I love this amber so much but I'm not sure about the first stages so I might swap this. It's also a long lasting Natural scent, which is also unusual for my skin which usually gobbles up Possets Naturals!

Catsmeow
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by Catsmeow » Fri May 18, 2007 11:20 am

The more I wear Handkerchief Water, the more I grow to love and respect it! It has such an old world, classic feel. It opens up with a burst of lime and Greek herbs - I smell thyme and oregano! Then the amber comes to the foreground. It lasts a very long time on my skin (quite a surprise for a natural fragrance). I hope this becomes a permanent addition!

Keslynn
a spark
a spark

Post by Keslynn » Sun May 20, 2007 9:21 am

This is a really interesting scent, not anything like what I was expecting. I really like it. It's lime and amber in the bottle, but on my skin it gets a really interesting dill herbal note. The dill note dances over a warmer base, probably the amber. Kudos to Fabienne for creating something that is both fresh and refined!

morningglory
principalities
principalities

Post by morningglory » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:11 pm

Wow, this smelled lovely on me. This is the first Possets' scent that really Worked.
Wet: It smelled exactly like a cup of black tea with lemon in it. Good black tea mind you, with fresh squeezed lemon.
Dry: Then it smelled pleasantly spicy. Definitely amber-ish with a nice overtone of dry spice.

Then the weird thing was it kept cycling between tea with lemon and spice, smelling like one and then the other. And for a natural, this had staying power.

Verdict: Bottle, bottle, bottle. Did I mention I want a bottle?:bigsmile:

merveilleuse
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by merveilleuse » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:05 pm

I'm not sure what I'm smelling ... but it's lovely! mmmm, herbs and amber. I think. :love: yum yum yummmmm!

Aida
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by Aida » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:11 am

I just received a sample of it, and my first impression was : Lush cacao Marron ! Really, I absolutely second that. A little more citrussy though, but really close. An I like it !

sertso
mortal
mortal

Post by sertso » Sun May 27, 2012 9:33 am

This is the first natural I've tried, and I find it absolutely exquisite! I'm not fond of lime, but after it settles down, it's amber with some zing to it. I'm in love!