SuperEgo

Possets makes a 100% natural line which combines beauty with a daring and innovative approach which demonstrates that purity does not have to be boring!

Moderator: Maya

jessiesquash
primordial
primordial

SuperEgo

Post by jessiesquash » Wed May 23, 2007 5:54 pm

Poor Super Ego has such a bad rap! But, this one is fun to wear. Super Ego is all natural (and adheres to all the rules put down for a 100% natural scent from Possets) but instead of being hard to take, Super Ego concentrates on a throughly grounded feel to the chocolate and rather melts with lovely earthy notes and spikes of tonka hidden in the background (among other things). Super Ego reminds me of an ancient Greek play, very tight and perfectly well put together.

Oooh this is gorgeous! In the bottle, it's not as sharp as Ego. The lavender is softer, the chocolate darker. On me it stays pretty true with the lavender taking the lead and the chocolate giving it a lovely sweet base. I think this is my favorite of the lavender and chocolate scents.

Catsmeow
preternatural being
preternatural being

SuperEgo

Post by Catsmeow » Sun May 27, 2007 9:24 am

Scent-wise, Super Ego is not my favorite in the Freudian collection, but it definitely is the most physically relaxing. Perhaps it's the tonka combined with the lavender? Fabienne mentioned that the lavender used in this trio contains a lot of coumarin; tonka is known to contain this substance as well, so combine these together and...zzzzz! But not in the boring sense by any means! I mean in the aromatherapeutic way! This is a great perfume to wear at the end of the day, or when you feel nervous or stressed. Or just need to keep your cool! :shades:

bunnymama
primordial
primordial

SuperEgo

Post by bunnymama » Mon May 28, 2007 9:30 am

I ordered Ego and Super Ego this go-round. They are both good, but I prefer Super Ego more. When it starts out, the chocolate and lavender and other lovely bits swirl around equally. After a while, the chocolate recedes and leaves the gorgeous lavender and other good smelling things behind. This perfume lasts for hours, which surprises me for a Natural. Oh, I do have to shake this up before applying. If I forget,then I get a drop of dark brown chocolatey oil that leaves a stain on my skin. If this doesn't become regular catalog, I will have to order a back up bottle of this!

Gemma
archangel
archangel

SuperEgo

Post by Gemma » Tue May 29, 2007 11:06 am

Straight away I can smell the gorgeous, natural lavender note that is in the lavender water collection. For anyone who hasn't tried any of those yet, it's a true, bright, and soft lavender; not medicinal nor harsh, just soft and beautiful. Preventing this from being too much lavender is the tonka and just a smidge of chocolate to my nose. Although sweetened by these notes, it is predominantly a lavender scent so if you wanted a deeper chocolate, I'd go for the other two. But, if you want more lavender, this is it!

White Phoenix
primordial
primordial

SuperEgo

Post by White Phoenix » Tue May 29, 2007 11:17 am

This one is pure lavender and chocolate in the vial. I can vaguely tell that there are other notes in the background - the tonka is a teasing wisp woven throughout - but it begins as so intensely lavender on me that I almost have a headache from it. As it dries down, though, the chocolate and tonka come out more and lend a little support to the sharp lavender.

I can't decide how I feel about this one - after only a few minutes of the "GEH LAVENDER" explosion on my wrists, it dries down to an intriguingly ethereal fragrance, but is so light I can barely smell it. I think I'll have to let this go simply because I'd be applying it every twenty minutes to keep the scent. I would still recommend that others, even lavenderophobes like me, try SuperEgo, though. If your skin chemistry's better than mine, you're in for a treat!

whiskerswhispers
principalities
principalities

SuperEgo

Post by whiskerswhispers » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:22 am

Super Ego
In vial: smells identical to that lavender flavoured chocolate I buy. Even more so than Wulric did. Mmm.
On skin: a rich, powerful lavender mixes with a beautiful true cocoa note. Now the lavender comes out and smells just like the stuff in my garden, only with added chocolate. It's powerful lavender! But underneath I think I can also detect other herbal notes, and a smooth sweetness which must be the tonka. As the lavender fades, it gains a smoky feel, like lavender incense, with a touch of clove (which seems to be prevalent in many Naturals, to me). But the tonka? Oh my goodness, the tonka is magnificent in here. Smooth and sweet and like vanilla but with a less foody, much broader sweetness, with a touch of cocoa to it. This is sublime-a beautifully crafted scent, which is complex and decadent yet also comforting. there also seems to be a little vetiver adding a touch of grit and earth to this smooth creamy sweetness. And the great thing about this scent is that, unlike many Naturals, it seems to last on my skin.

goldkiwi
a spark
a spark

SuperEgo

Post by goldkiwi » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:22 am

I was scared and a little disappointed with this one when I first got it, because I had such high hopes for it, as the Natural chocolate seems to be the only chocolate that works for me, but when I opened up my decant vial, the lavendar was waaaay too strong for me. I decided to give it a try though, and once on my skin, the lavendar mellows out as it dries. I think I'm growing to like it the more I wear it :bigsmile: It's a bit tricky to get it to mix together, especially in the tiny vial I have, but I do love the chocolate.

portalkat
mortal
mortal

SuperEgo

Post by portalkat » Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:19 pm

Super Ego is more lavender than chocolate. The chocolate is a rather mellow note in the background and the lavender and tonka are in the forefront. I love the lavender that Fabienne uses because it is a clearer, higher, more crystalline note than I usually come across, cleaner as opposed to more herbal. This is the lavender that my mother used to spray inside the drawers of my dresser when I was a kid.

spacekitty
mortal
mortal

SuperEgo

Post by spacekitty » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:15 am

I must be nuts. Or my skin is. In the vial I get sweet citrus. Wet on my skin all I get is pith. Within minutes the sharp pithiness fades to a sweet - but not chocolate-sweet - citrus (the tonka, I presume?). As it dries, the lavender emerges and blends with the sweet and citrus. Thankfully this never goes soapy and it's not citrus "blossom" which I really can't stand. This is really nice. And it's stronger and lasts longer than I thought it would.

Oddly, I never get chocolate. Not a single hint of it.

ETA: I talked with Fabienne about this. I asked her if it was possible that my Cruel Spring and SuperEgo decants were swapped or mislabeled. I described them as best I could (my "SuperEgo" is sweet citrus and my "Cruel Spring" is chocolate and lavender that separates) and she verified yes, that is probably what happened. Just an FYI...

diachrony
a spark
a spark

SuperEgo

Post by diachrony » Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:48 pm

I love SuperEgo. The lavender is clean and herbal, almost spicy, and the dark chocolate is grounding with no bitterness. It's a very smooth and relaxing scent. The bottle really must be rolled & shaken thoroughly each time as it separates. I may get another bottle unless, as this is a Natural, it will stick around in the GC?