Juana the Mad (Yule 2011 Natural)

Possets makes a 100% natural line which combines beauty with a daring and innovative approach which demonstrates that purity does not have to be boring!

Moderator: Maya

puck_nc
principalities
principalities

Post by puck_nc » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:44 am

A magnificent 100% natural, with a marvelous (non stinky) jasmine grandiflora, a charming Turkish rose, and Bourbon Vanilla kissed with a puff of Bergamot.

Origin: Straight from Possets

Initial Thoughts: Being a Spanish major, I was instantly drawn to the idea of a scent honoring Juana la Loca. The only worrisome note is the Turkish rose, since some rose notes turn nasty on me. Worth the risk.

In the Bottle: Whoo, if that's a puff of bergamot, I'd hate to see a dollop. Strongly lemony and herbal.

Wet: Still mostly bergamot at first. Here's hoping the vanilla and florals come out.

Drydown: Eventually the scent starts to sweeten up and the jasmine makes a stand, but the bergamot is still dominating it all.

Verdict: Herbal fans should definitely try it, and if you don't amp bergamot as I apparently do, you may get a better balance of all the notes.

Thaleia
mortal
mortal

Post by Thaleia » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:23 am

After seeing this among the Medieval Yule offerings, I felt compelled to look up some information on Queen Juana. I've always loved the Tudor era, and the extent of my knowledge of her was largely in connection with her younger sister, Catherine of Aragon. I just had a general idea, from whatever mentions of her I'd come across, that she was kind of unbalanced, but after reading about her now, I really can't blame her, because what she went through would probably be enough to destroy lesser beings.

That said, this is almost exactly like my late, lamented, lovely Two Hearts Beating as One from B Never Too Busy To Be Beautiful. The only difference is that today, I get more rose from TH, while I get more jasmine from Juana. TH does tend to change on me depending on the day, plus my bottle is about two and a half years old, so that may have something to do with it. For all I know, I'll get a ton of rose from Juana and a ton of jasmine from TH tomorrow. Overall, the difference is negligible.

I have been looking for a TH replacement for years, especially now that B Never is, sadly, gone. I'm holding out for Lush to release the rest of the old B Never scents, but this is perfect and couldn't have come at a better time (just finished a TH bottle a couple of weeks ago).

As a Natural, it's a much fainter, softer scent, very close to the skin, not overpowering at all.

I'm hoping that the rose comes out more as it ages. I'll keep an eye (or a nose, rather) out for any changes.

OhmyGodFabiennemakethispermanentplease. <3
Quod scimus loquimur, quod vidimus testamur

lulu
archangel
archangel

Post by lulu » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:39 am

Firstly, it should be said that I am a jasmine lover......but apparently it's one of those florals that many have an aversion to.
At first this is all jasmine for me, but very low pitched and unlike the jasmine in any of my other perfumes. Whether this is because it's a natural or it's being tamed by the other components, I'm not sure......
On the drydown, the vanilla comes out more but still the jasmine dominates.....if I sniff really hard there is a vanilla creaminess and another element which may be rose but it is elusive and my nose can't quite grasp and identify it.
For me it is certainly jasmine given depth and dimension by the other ingredients. It stays very close to the skin, so there is no screeching jasmine to torture my workmates with!
I also will be curious to see how this ages....although it's quite lovely as it is now!

fabienne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fabienne » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:32 am

I am considering making this one permanent even if it's a natural and for connoisseurs for the most part. I personally have been wearing this one a lot. It's fainter than the ones with man made ingredients in it because that is the nature of most of the naturals (and so scent lockets are kind of essential for them). I love falling in love with my own creations.
I have sniffed the Panties of Ptah!

rivercitylizzy
primordial
primordial

Post by rivercitylizzy » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:44 am

This was the first scent I tested from my inaugural Possets order, hooray! Like lulu, I am a jasmine lover (I even wore a homemade scent with a lovely jasmine florasol in it for my wedding), so I was excited to try this one out when I saw it among the Yules.

As others have mentioned, it is not a screeching jasmine--though it does have backbone--and applied to my skin the blend took on a soft and creamy feel, with a tea-like note that I presume is from the combination of jasmine and bergamot. I have a habit of making sun tea out of the blooms in my garden, including roses, orange blossom, and pink jasmine, and this blend comes very close to approximating that heady scent I get on the rare occasions when all three are blooming at once. Bliss!

Definitely a skin scent for me as well--Juana had faded to a whisper after a few hours--but you know, sometimes you don't want to beat everyone within 4-6 feet of you over the head with your perfume. This one entices those who are close to you to lean in and get to know you a little better ;;)

Floria
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by Floria » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:27 pm

This is rather faint in the bottle, but very nice on skin, although I did have to put it on a bit more heavily than I usually do. The rose is detectable, but not very strong - mostly, it's jasmine blending with the vanilla and bergamot to make something that smells oddly like orange blossom. Very feminine.

thesibylqueen
archangel
archangel

Post by thesibylqueen » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:28 am

@fabienne I would die of joy if you made this one permanent -- it really is a non-stinky jasmine. Really subtle, warm, almost, if a floral can be warm. An intimate scent -- invites someone to lean in a little! ;)
My swap/sell list as well as my wishlist: http://www.possets.com/talking/viewtopi ... 1491#p1491

Tracelina
a spark
a spark

Post by Tracelina » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:42 am

@thesibylqueen YES. I was really hesitant about this one, because jasmine and rose are usually death knells for any blend I try. But oh my goodness, Juana is GORGEOUS. Once she dries down, the florals take a back seat to a lovely bergamot and vanilla dance. I can still detect the jasmine and rose, but they enhance the beauty of the blend rather than being its central focus. @fabienne, I really hope you decide to make this one permanent! :-D

anaengel
a spark
a spark

Re: Juana the Mad (Yule 2011 Natural)

Post by anaengel » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:31 am

This was one of the samples that Fabienne sant in a sampler pack I ordered trying out some natural lavender blends. I'd been reading the reviews and really wanted it to work since I saw the word jasmine and wish, still, that I could find one that didn't go icky on me. I've had this problem with jasmine in any form all my life, so you'd think I would just accept it. :lol: Well, this one went the closest. I'm thinking I just have a "ick jasmine" thinking skin.
But, this goes on and I get a wonderful hit of bergamot. But, there's a sliver of pee in the background which I know is jasmine. It's so much fainter than normal though that I was hoping it would fade away and I'd finally get the pretty flower. It won't happen, let me tell you now. After a while, I also get a soft rose (no fair; rose plays nice but jasmine still is a brat :pout:) that glides in as the bergamot goes away. As it fades out, I get the vanilla very close to my skin. This vanilla is very delicate, like I just opened a can of vanilla sugar I was making before it was done curing. It's nice and faint.
This is why I keep trying jasmines. Maybe someday I'll get a nonicky one. But, yeah, this really was the closest!