Brownian Motion (Valentines 2008)

Possets makes a 100% natural line which combines beauty with a daring and innovative approach which demonstrates that purity does not have to be boring!

Moderator: Maya

puck_nc
principalities
principalities

Post by puck_nc » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:09 pm

"A drop dead gorgeous floral, just perfect for the romantic. World class ylang-ylang collides with the most gorgeous jasmine and the world is set in motion. Even if you are an avowed jasmine hater, the kind I use is so beautiful it must convert you. There are many different kinds of jasmine, from the stinky kind to some which is preternatural perfume. This is the latter. For some reason, despite using tropical flowers for this composition, it is exactly what should be offered at this time of year. In case you forgot, Brownian Motion is the path of the random movements of particles suspended in fluid. Even inert things dance. And that is a textbook image of Brownian Motion."

Origin: decant from eviltemptressdq's circle

Initial Thoughts: I am a florals fan. I am not always a jasmine fan. I was curious to see whether Fabienne could work her magic again, the magic that gave me a violet perfume, a patchouli perfume, a smoky perfume...

In the Bottle: A very airy scent, strongly jasmine and ylang ylang, with something that sweetens it slightly and cuts the worst of what I normally think of as jasmine.

Wet: I think I'm getting more ylang ylang than jasmine right now. I'm currently getting a nose full of flowers that seem slightly stale or preserved, a bit like that funeral-parlor smell.

Drydown: The strange note starts to back off, letting a more natural floral in. I think it's still more ylang ylang on me, keeping the jasmine quiet and not harsh.

Verdict: An interesting blend, but I'm not sure I'd wear it much. I tend to go for sweeter florals. (And I'm mildly curious as to what Fabienne's "Silver" would do with this jasmine.)

whiskerswhispers
principalities
principalities

Post by whiskerswhispers » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:02 am

Brownian Motion
In vial: ylang-ylang, and lots of it. It’s a soft ylang though.
On skin: now I smell the jasmine gently nudging the ylang…and this is the kind of jasmine I love! Jasmine haters, give this a try. This isn’t bitter, sour, acrid or sharp at all. It is a bit heady, but that’s the nature of these flowers…but this scent smells like an exotic summer’s night with the thick scent of fragrant flowers lingering in the starry air. It smells romantic and sultry. It smells like a night on a tropical island or a desert oasis. There are hints of green or herbal or spicy notes that set off the flowers very nicely. Sadly this scent does fade away fast, it diffuses away until just a trace of flowers and something herbal, as well as vetiver, remains. The jasmine-ylang-vetiver combination is lovely though, not to mention that it brings back memories of La Reunion and the hot summer nights there. I’m so glad I went for a bottle of this one because it really is one of the nicest jasmine scents.

gypsysingleton

Post by gypsysingleton » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:13 am

Jasmine usually turns to cat-pee on me. This doesn't!!! It's lovely. Perfect for a sultry summer night!!!

AEris
a spark
a spark

Post by AEris » Wed May 14, 2008 3:25 am

This is not the sweet, heady floral that I was expecting. It's extremely light and delicate, with not much throw or staying power. Brownian Motion starts out mostly ylang-ylang, with a hint of jasmine. There's a weird note that I'm not loving that I think is associated with the ylang-ylang....it's almost a dry, dusty, plasticky smell. The unpleasant note eventually fades, but with it, the faint florals also melt away. Then, I can smell an almost-citrusy scent, someone above mentioned vetiver and I tend to agree (good clean vetiver, not the stinky bitter kind). But, again, the experience is so faint that I have to dig my nose in to smell any of it. I was really expecing something more. I love jasmine, and ylang-ylang, and I'm sad that this is so short-lived and faint that I can't wear it as a perfume. :violin: Oh well, there's plenty more Possets for me to love!

forspecial
archangel
archangel

Post by forspecial » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:03 am

This is a very light, pretty and summery floral scent. I have nothing against jasmine, and ylang-ylang is okay (not bad but not one of my favorite floral notes). However, something happens in this scent, a faint background note that reminds me slightly of ashtrays. Maybe it's the same thing that was going wrong for AEris. I may just keep this since it's just a sample, and a freebie at that, and also I am a fan of the Naturals line. Maybe one day it will smell better to me. Very, very light throw and after a while it faded to almost nothing on my skin. I find myself wondering how it would work out in an oil burner, on a sultry, rainy summer day. That might be just the ticket! :rainy:

rivercitylizzy
primordial
primordial

Post by rivercitylizzy » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:28 pm

Soft & sensual, very well balanced; I could pick up what smells like a white sandalwood along with the jasmine & ylang ylang along with a little something else to give it depth. Evolves gorgeously and settles into a skin-hugging soft fruity floral that is just delicious. Like many of the Naturals I've tried so far, throw is not huge even in the wet phase but I get quite a bit of wear and it just BEGS me to huff my wrists every 30 minutes or so. May need to wishlist a bottle!

sakecat22
mortal
mortal

Re: Brownian Motion (Valentines 2008)

Post by sakecat22 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:52 pm

Looking at my notes from 2008: I was a bit anosmic to this one. Some days, more soft sandalwood. Other days, I got more of a gorgeous jasmine and ylang ylang with a woody dry down. In all wearings, I had to slather a lot and only got a couple of hours out of it. Seemed to work best in hot weather.