The Observatory

Possets makes a 100% natural line which combines beauty with a daring and innovative approach which demonstrates that purity does not have to be boring!

Moderator: Maya

puck_nc
principalities
principalities

The Observatory

Post by puck_nc » Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:09 pm

Specifically made to bring to mind the classical lines and purpose of The Cincinnati Observatory, this fragrance is pure Old World Charm improved to withstand the rigors of 21st century living. Perfect for business or pleasure, The Observatory will always feel like the right choice. Cool, dry, focusing and unisex, The Observatory just reeks of class. Characteristics: sohpisticated, dry, unisex, home scent.

Origin: Freebie from Possets order

Initial Thoughts: I was hoping this might be something like BPAL's Miskatonic University, but without the coffee.

In the Bottle My first impression is definitely a library! Books, a hint of pipe smoke, some gentle spices. My second impression is of an aftershave or men's cologne.

Wet: A very masculine scent, indeed. And something is going musty on me.

Drydown: :sad: That something has progressed from musty to sour. I get very little of the papery smoky notes that I caught on first whiff.

On husband: Nothing musty on him! A nice masculine mix of spices. I can pick out clove and maybe some anise on him. Unfortunately, he says he doesn't care for it.

Verdict: This will be passed on.

whiskerswhispers
principalities
principalities

The Observatory

Post by whiskerswhispers » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:46 am

The Observatory
In bottle: spicy! I know this savoury spice, it reminds me of something my mum cooks with, but I can't say what…
On skin: warm, exotic, dry and spicy! This is like opening a spice cupboard and taking a big sniff…but this spice cupboard isn't just your average kitchen cupboard, but one made of fragrant wood, maybe rosewood or sandalwood. This reminds me of Scented Gloves' spicy-herbal notes, but also of the spicy blend that I've noticed in the other Naturals, except with less clove and more 'savoury' spices, maybe saffron or cumin. And then it suddenly hits me, I now realise why this scent is so familiar…I have a natural loose incense blend called Horus which I bought ages ago (it's been discontinued, sadly) and this smells just like that incense blend! It even has a hint of something reminiscent of camomile, which was in my incense, and maybe some resins too. But definitely spices, herbs and woods, which gives a golden, hot, and dry scent, a scent evocative of faraway places and past times, yet also sophisticated and unisex too. As it dries down it seems to take on a spiced camomile tea scent, which I love. Like all the Naturals, this does become faint quickly, but the woodsy camomile scent seems to linger nicely-and it also reminds me of dusty books and old parchment now. But I'm so glad to find a scent similar to my Horus incense, which they don't make any more, and I loved the scent of.

aine
mortal
mortal

The Observatory

Post by aine » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:46 am

Another winner, The Observatory really does reek of class. This is a stylish room with a substantial antique table, a large glass vase with perfect blooms, and a cup of herbal tea in a Shelley teacup. Impeccably sophisticated. And the window is open just enough now to let the breeze carry in the scent of the lavender and chamomile bushes outside. So classically beautiful, but might need a scent locket for longevity.

A gorgeous scent in regular rotation for me, and has a firm spot in my Top Three.

chocolatequark
mortal
mortal

The Observatory

Post by chocolatequark » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:00 pm

Ooh... Ooh! Wow! This is just gorgeous...

I didn't expect The Observatory to be quite so masculine, but oh, it's definitely very man-oriented. I put it on and immediately thought "Cedar!". After the drydown commenced and it "settled" more firmly on my skin, I received hints of clove and a hint of tobacco, and the ubiquitous vanilla, and maybe sandalwood. And leather, just a bit... that subtle note that a library's worth of high-quality, leather-bound books adds to the air. This has a very sophisticated, sexy quality... it's like a luxurious study, with whiffs of incense and aftershave and tea... It definitely reminds me of certain attractive and classy men I've had occasion to encounter in the past, whether dancing, at a concert, at a restaurant; it's not exactly "dressy", simply classy. It has the delightful ability to be both formal and seductive. To me, putting it on evokes a feeling reminiscent of rolling around in your boyfriend's dress shirt. I'm in love already.

This is definitely going to my fiancé... I can't wait for him to try it on! The Observatory seems as appropriate for dinner with the parents as it would be for an intimate night in, and I'm agog with the thought already. :D

forspecial
archangel
archangel

The Observatory

Post by forspecial » Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:58 pm

I'm shocked that I never wrote a review for this!

When I think of the Observatory, I also think of Ault Park which surrounds it. Maybe that's why I think of this as a more outdoorsy scent than the other reviewers. It's an herbal and slightly spicy scent with a big shot of amber, to my nose. Somewhat similar to Handkerchief Water, except maybe less amber than that one. Sometimes I can't tell the difference between clove and carnation, but I think the Observatory has a hint of one or the other. Very light throw on my skin, perfect for working since I don't want my scent to intrude on others (but I can smell it myself in just the right amount).

morningglory
principalities
principalities

The Observatory

Post by morningglory » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:57 pm

This was a beautiful, sophisticated dry floral scent on me. It drys down to a pleasant spicyness before fading. A definite candidate for a scent locket experiment. It's beautiful and I adore it (even though I can't really describe a single note in it.)

hyacinth
archangel
archangel

The Observatory

Post by hyacinth » Sun May 31, 2009 1:19 pm

My father! Aftershave!
Also, completely overwhelmed by Reason and Libby which I eventually layered it with.
And the men my life were not interested: son is a designer scent snob and bf is a stick-in-the-mud who uses Drakkar Noir or nothing.
A pleasant, crisp smell, like a walk on a fall day.:pisces:

HappyLoveJoy
preternatural being
preternatural being

The Observatory

Post by HappyLoveJoy » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:43 am

The Observatory goes on very astringent like Witch Hazel. It's sort of bracing and lime-y and herbal all at once and seems way too masculine for me. After about 10 or 15 minutes it smells like something else entirely! I don't think my husband would like the way it smells on me in that initial stage but on the drydown it becomes amazingly feminine---not that a man couldn't still wear this and still smell manly. It becomes a cross between Shalimar and Mitsouko on the drydown. What is that underlying smell I smell? You know, there's this plant my mother grows and I have grown as well, called Ruda. That's the smell I think I smell. I love that smell and so do swallowtail butterflies woh love to lay their eggs on it. In conclusion, I'm not certain this would be a bottle purchase for me at the moment, but I will continue to use my poppet. It wouldn't surprise me if I changed my mind about getting a bottle. All in all this is very nicely done and also very sophisticated.

lizbet
mortal
mortal

Re: The Observatory

Post by lizbet » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:54 am

Another love from the natural line. It reminds me of a fougere, which although is traditionally masculine, is extremely wearable for women, too. The sillage and longevity are fabulous for a natural and it lasted for several hours on my skin, the scent remaining very stable throughout. Sniffing the vial the next day I picked up more of the paper notes as others have mentioned. This is wonderful.

katiushka
archangel
archangel

Re: The Observatory

Post by katiushka » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:21 pm

Love this! Smells wonderful, and a lifesaver when it comes to headaches and nausea.

To me, it smells like wood polished with the finest oil, with a hint of citrus and something else wonderful. Nothing astringent, synthetic-smelling or musty about it. Very lovely smell, and not herbal.

In the summer, I have problems with headaches and nausea - especially if I'm traveling; must be the dehydration - and this really soothes my nerves and eases the pain.