Paisley

Possets makes a 100% natural line which combines beauty with a daring and innovative approach which demonstrates that purity does not have to be boring!

Moderator: Maya

sarada
a spark
a spark

Paisley

Post by sarada » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:44 am

Years ago the trading ships would come into port and unload their treasures from places like India. Among the wonders were the most beautiful shawls woven with the paisley pattern.Not only were these prized for the beauty of the cloth, but they were heavily scented with patchouli which kept the moths from worrying them. The scent of patchouli lasted for years, decades. There were other things which were part of the fragrance of paisley shawls: the wood in which the garments traveled and were stored, the lovely smells of other fragrant things from the East. Paisley tries to capture the fantasy of what an Indian shawl would smell like when first unfurled after its long and perilous sea trip, and given as a token of love and gratitude by the ship's captain.

Okay, you knew I was going to go for this one. This is the first Naturals bottle I've purchased and it is well worth it. This is a rich, dark, luxurious incensy resinous patchouli, gleaming dark and polished, crystalline and glistening, with just a film of the dust of the ages. And most incredible of all is the aroma that wafts just after it starts to dry down. It is the very, exact scent of a copal incense I used to buy that is no longer available -- dipped in gold, burning with a hint of smoke, a dash of sparkle. It brings back strong memories of hiding out in my dark, incense-filled college dorm room, with Indian tapestries everywhere, listening to late 60s sitar-tinged psychedelia. This will be one of my all-time favorite perfumes I think. The rich, aged patchouli adds a glorious antique touch as well, a dark wood that has soaked up oil and smoke...a teak chest full of silks and shawls...oh yes. I could just get lost in this aroma for aeons.

Aida
preternatural being
preternatural being

Paisley

Post by Aida » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:32 am

Thank you so much Fabienne for creating Paisley !
This thing is fantastic !

When I first opened the bottle, I thought "Waaaaa, Lush Tramp !" Which was a very good sign as I like it very much. But right away I felt there was far more than that in it... and there is even more than I could ever imagine.

I smell patchouli for sure, but not that strong patchouli that makes everything else disappear... so you can really appreciate the woods, the spices, incense, an incredible quality, I also smell leather in it.

It smells like travaling in the beggining of the 20th Century, with leather and wood luggage, it smells like adventure, exotism...

The more I was smelling it the more a clear idea came to my mind... and suddebly... bang : Jack Sparrow (OK, forget the never washing Jack part, just keep the handsome pirate on his ship...).

This is a perfume I've always wanted to smell without ever knowing what it would be like, just a kind of quest. And now I've found it, I feel like bathing in this one, I think I will never be able to leave it anymore !

And moreover, if I had any chance to escape from falling in love with it, it reminds me of the love of my life, wearing his leather jacket, his perfume, his skin, everything... and we are often appart, so you cannot even imagine how this perfume is important to me ! :heartbounce:

Gemma
archangel
archangel

Paisley

Post by Gemma » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:25 am

Paisley is all rich, aged patchouli. It's a little brittle on me at first but eventually smooths down into a rich, woody, resinous scent. This is perfectly aged, and patchouli fans should not let this one get away. It's really special. :)

etienne
archangel
archangel

Paisley

Post by etienne » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:47 pm

Paisley has quickly (in three days!) become one of my all time favourite perfumes. I've just had to order a bottle because I'm now completely addicted to this stuff and worry my decant won't last me very long!

This is beautifully rich, warm and sophisticated. I wore this yesterday and today my cardigan still smelled amazing where the perfume had rubbed onto it from my arms. (So much so that I ended up applying more Paisley today, resulting in a strange but wonderful layering of BPAL Et Lux Fuit and Paisley!) Something about this reminds me of burning resin incense on a charcoal disc at first, and then it really smooths down and becomes just really incredible.

I might have to stockpile this before it goes away! (Or alternatively beg Fabienne to add it to the permanent collection! I wonder if bribery would work... )

cuervosueno
preternatural being
preternatural being

Paisley

Post by cuervosueno » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:22 am

I s wanted this to work on me...I figured since Sarada liked it, I would too, and I do like the idea of it....but apparently, I amp patchouli big time, because it is mostly straight up aged patchouli on me. Pretty, but not complex enough on me.

I enjoy the scent, but not enough to keep it. What I do like is that after an hour or so, I finally get a nice slightly smoky richness that is more that patch, but just not enough...

puck_nc
principalities
principalities

Paisley

Post by puck_nc » Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:44 pm

Origin: decant from eviltemptressdq's circle

Initial Thoughts: I hemmed and hawed about this one. I have never found a BPAL patchouli scent I could wear because of it amping so badly on me. Then I met the lovely Pomona and found a patchouli that would play nicely with my skin. At first I thought "Definitely"! when reading the description for Paisley, but the first reviews made it sound like more patchouli than I could handle. Finally I decided to try a decant and see.

In the Vial: I smell patchouli, but what I'm getting the most of right now is cedar and some hints of smoke.

Wet: This is very extremely cedar on me to start with, with a dab of smoke. It's a fire of cedarwood.

Drydown: I finally get a gentle background of patchouli in the mix, but this one stays predominantly cedar-smoke on me. Like most of the Naturals, this one has very little throw and stays close to the skin.

Verdict: It's nice to get a confirmation that the Possets patchouli does not amp into skanky headshop on me and that Pomona was not a fluke. The drydown is a lovely woodsy scent with bits of smoke and patchouli, but I'm not sure how often I'd wear it. I might be able to convince my husband to try it, since it is such a mild throw. Further investigations warranted.

valentina
a spark
a spark

Paisley

Post by valentina » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:18 pm

I do like my patchouli, but I am actually rather picky about it. Paisely sounded too interesting to pass up, so hunting for a decant I did go. It arrived today and I tested it right away!

In the vial, it smelled like a crisp, austere patchouli with hints of cedar. When it first goes on my skin, I get the dry patchouli with cedar, but also, maybe, just a teense of linen. It really, honestly smells like a beautiful shawl pulled from a cedar chest that had been scented with patchouli. At that point, I wasn't so sure about Paisley, since I usually like my patchoulis dark and round. But then...after about a half-hour to an hour, Paisley softens out into a lovely, smooth, elegant patchouli scent. It has excellent staying power, but it's not overwhelming, the way some patchoulis can be. It is anything but headshop patchouli. It is a rich, graceful, slightly reserved and almost dignified scent that I could happily wear while in a business suit.

I think it is simply stunning! I will join etienne in hoarding it and/or begging Fabienne to make it a permanent fixture in her collection.:Smitten_emoticon:

anardana
primordial
primordial

Paisley

Post by anardana » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:00 am

I find that this one smells mostly like cedar smoke- very dry.. not a lush patchouli.

Elizabeth101
a spark
a spark

Paisley

Post by Elizabeth101 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:10 am

This is the only perfume I've ever found that truly smells like medicine - not like doctor/hospital medicine but in the Native American traditional sense of the word. This gives the impression of walking into a well-smudged room, after the smoke has gone but that comforting scent of sage and sweetgrass just lingers in the air. Breathing in the Paisely on my arm is like taking a little shot of good medicine any time during the day. Love it! Can it be a permanent scent? Pleeeeeeeeease? :Drool_emoticon___Hp329:

Aida
preternatural being
preternatural being

Paisley

Post by Aida » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:36 am

Oh, yes, I second the permanent Paisley idea !