A Snowflake in the Martini - Peppermint (Deep Winter 2007)

Possets makes a 100% natural line which combines beauty with a daring and innovative approach which demonstrates that purity does not have to be boring!

Moderator: Maya

maribouquet
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by maribouquet » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:54 am

A Snowflake in the Martini (Peppermint top note)
Imagine an inky dark night in winter. You are on the veranda with a perfectly made martini in hand. It is crystalline and has a satiny olive speared and mating with the gin and vermouth. But before you can brush the glass with your breath, a snowflake the size of a small saucer floats into your drink, flattens itself on the surface and dissolves immediately. It is the best martini you ever had. A Snowflake in the Martini goes through every one of these phases and finally comes to rest in a state where alcohol and sophistication intersect. Cold cold peppermint begins the story.

Characteristics: foody, invigorating, scent locket, home scent, unisex, sophisticated, natural.

First on this is a rush of cool peppermint that ebbs to reveal a drinky backing of whatever makes gin so decadent and slightly, delightfully dirty to the nose...juniper? I admit I'm not normally a fan of booze-y scents, but I like this a lot. It's incredibly crisp and refreshing.

puck_nc
principalities
principalities

Post by puck_nc » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:19 pm

Origin: decant from eviltemptressdq's circle

Initial Thoughts: I love mint scents. I loved the description. Have a history of bad luck with boozy notes. Tossup.

In the Bottle: Peppermint over liquor. Add a bit of sugar and I think I'd be smelling schnapps.

Wet: I'm getting some peppermint, but the gin or vermouth is totally taking over. I'm getting a harsh-smelling mixed drink.

Drydown: The peppermint gets stamped out by the liquor notes and that saltiness (juniper? olive?) creeps in. I guess the spearmint was a bit bolder.

Verdict: Alas, not for me. *puts in swap pile*

whiskerswhispers
principalities
principalities

Post by whiskerswhispers » Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:33 am

A Snowflake in the Martini
In vial: I'm not sure from the decants I have as to which is peppermint and which is spearmint. The one I have now has a picture of some red and white sweets, almost like candy cane colours…I assume it's peppermint. The scent…a piercing, almost toothpaste/mouthwash like mint. I think this is peppermint.
On skin: the sweet mint fades and I get salt, gin and even a hint of olive. And then the mint says goodbye, and the scent left behind is all salty olive. A really savoury olive scent, like green olives and olive oil, or even like those savoury olive crackers I like. Whilst I love eating olives (I'm one of the few who do, it seems) I don't like smelling blatantly of olive (though I like BPAL's olive leaf note) especially since on my skin, this olive smells a little pickled and even buttery! In fact, it reminds me of melted butter that has had artichokes/asparagus dipped in it, but with added olives. I smell crisp juniper (gin) here as well, but I'm not keen on the olive scent at all, so this one's a swapper. I wish the mint had stuck around.

Gemma
archangel
archangel

Post by Gemma » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:27 am

The peppermint in this is as sharp as jagged glass. I don't think I've ever sniffed such a strong peppermint blend before! The gin note is prominent; I think the peppermint actually amps that up, and the salty olive lurks beneath the surface.

This is way too bitingly sharp for me, but I'm really pleased I had a chance to try it. :) It's the most spot-on Martini scent I've ever sampled.

alliekat13
primordial
primordial

Post by alliekat13 » Fri May 04, 2007 1:35 pm

This is so boozy that when I first put it on I almost felt buzzed! The gin note is so realistic, and the peppermint is just so cool and refreshing, I can almost but not quite smell the olive underneath. This is an amazing scent, and while I don't think I will wear this regularly, I'm glad I got the opportunity to try it.

morningglory
principalities
principalities

Post by morningglory » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:12 am

I love mint scents, and I was really, really hopeful about this one.
Wet: minty with a strong undertone of booze and brine.
Dry: the mint fades almost immediately, within an hour, which I pout about. I'm left with a strong piney, that I'm presuming in the juniper from the gin. Thankfully the brineyness has faded. This is a crisp, clean smell, but it's barely clining to my wrist.
Verdict: I shall give it another try with a hefty slather and see what happens. I wouldn't mind it if it hung around a bit stronger, and the juniper smell is refreshing, if not what I wanted.

stellamaris
preternatural being
preternatural being

Re: A Snowflake in the Martini - Peppermint (Deep Winter 2007)

Post by stellamaris » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:43 am

I love Peppermint scents, and I wear them for sleeping lately due to the incessant hot flashes gifted to me by the Meany Paws, as my friend calls it.
This is not really too Pepperminty though, sort of making me sad. I will give it a day or so to recover from the mail, I hope the minty mintness will show itself then.

sakecat22
mortal
mortal

Re: A Snowflake in the Martini - Peppermint (Deep Winter 2007)

Post by sakecat22 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:49 pm

My notes for this (from 2008) read "peppermint and eggnog, morphing to peppermint between the fingers after 15 minutes. Gone in 1 hour." Reading the other comments on this thread, I am wondering where I got the eggnog from.