A Snowflake in the Martini - Spearmint (Deep Winter 2007)

Possets makes a 100% natural line which combines beauty with a daring and innovative approach which demonstrates that purity does not have to be boring!

Moderator: Maya

maribouquet
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by maribouquet » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:00 am

A Snowflake in the Martini (Spearmint top note)
A martini with a kiss of spearmint to give it a special boost. For those who want cool but not cracking cold, as with Peppermint. A wonderfully unexpected counterpoint to gin and vermouth and that undefinable olive lurking below the surface of your drink.

Characteristics: foody, invigorating, scent locket, home scent, unisex, sophisticated, natural.

Mmm, I think I like this one even more than the Peppermint Martini. The spearmint really floats on top of the gin scent and makes this version smell incredibly liquid to me (not aquatic though, must stress that!) It clings to my skin and balances the other notes beautifully - I think I even detect a bit of a salty olive note?

I would love to smell this on a man's neck. Rawr. (Hellooooo, James Bond?)

puck_nc
principalities
principalities

Post by puck_nc » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:11 pm

Origin: decant from eviltemptressdq's circle

Initial Thoughts: I haven't had the best of luck with booze scents - the closest note I can remember off the top of my head that works on me is wine grapes--but the description was so tantalizing and I do love mint scents.

In the Bottle: Very strong spearmint, with hints of ice and the gin beneath.

Wet: Phew! The alcohol and the saltiness of the olive come rushing out, nearly drowning the spearmint. It feels very cool on my skin.

Drydown: Well, it's staying more martini than mint, and that lovely chilly feel in the bottle is completely gone. And the saltiness keeps poking out, kicking the mint to the side when it does.

Verdict: I debated, and I let my husband smell it on me, but neither of us likes it enough to keep it. It will go to a better place.

whiskerswhispers
principalities
principalities

Post by whiskerswhispers » Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:42 pm

A Snowflake in the Martini
In vial: I'm not sure from the decants I have as to which is peppermint and which is spearmint. The one I have now has a picture of some mint leaves…if the 'candy' one is peppermint, I assume this is spearmint. The scent…yup, it's spearmint, that sweet, sweet mint reminiscent of chewing gum.
On skin: after smelling like Wrigleys for a short while, the sugared mint fades and I get salt, gin and olive. It's very much the same martini base as the Peppermint Snowflake, but this, oddly, smells like pesto. Is there basil in here? The mint also lasts a little longer than in Peppermint, but I then smell like savoury Italian food. Olives and pesto with a blast of sweet mint. Nice to eat, but not my kind of perfume. I'm not keen on the olives and savoury herbs I seem to be getting here, I'm not keen on the martini base…alas, the snow is fleeting as it melts into the cocktail. I do prefer this to the peppermint one but I'm not very keen on smelling like pesto either so it'll have to get swapped or sold.

Gemma
archangel
archangel

Post by Gemma » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:25 am

This is strong, heady even, with a very noticeable alcohol note. The spearmint sweetens up the whole blend, balancing out the sharpness of the booze and the salty-tang of the elusive olive wallowing at the bottom of the glass.

It's actually a refreshing, bright-eyed blend with definite potential to be incredibly intoxicating on someone with the right skin chemistry. Alas, my skin seems to amp up the olive note to high degrees, pushing the delicious spearmint aside much to my disappointment.

alliekat13
primordial
primordial

Post by alliekat13 » Fri May 04, 2007 1:40 pm

I hate spearmint, but oddly enough, I enjoyed this martini better than it's peppermint counterpart. So boozy and icy. How does Fabienne capture perfectly the scent of an alcoholic drink? The gin is very prominent, with the spearmint blending into it seamlessly. As with the peppermint one, I can detect a hint of saltiness from the olive. This would be great on someone else in the summer, I can definetely see a man wearing this extremely well.

morningglory
principalities
principalities

Post by morningglory » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:13 am

I like this one tons better that the Peppermint top note. The spearamint is staying with me long.
Wet: Spearamint with definate briney undertones. The alcohol note isn't as strong as it was in peppermint. This is definately spearamint and brine (not olivey at all, just briney).
Dry: The mint note stayed! I'm so happy about that. I ordered this set because I love mint scenter perfumes, and am searching for somebodies general catalog mint that will work as well as BPAL's '05 Lick It does. While this isn't as nice as that, it IS nice, and while it wouldn't be an everyday perfume, I think it will do nicely in a scent locket when I need to feel refreshed.

hyacinth
archangel
archangel

Post by hyacinth » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:10 pm

Smelled spearmint, no gin, no olives....not keen on it on it's own...see Orion rview......:pisces: