Joan of Arc

We took a trip back in time in 2012 to enjoy the intense romance of the Middle Ages.

Moderator: Maya

goherd
mortal
mortal

Joan of Arc

Post by goherd »

Open bottle sniff- Bitter,astringent,hot...earthy....blended so well individual notes are hard to detect. Reminds me of burnt earth when a campfire is newly snuffed out. Smells of wood,fire,and earth....which is also mixed with a great big box of incense. Incense that is not just of one specific type but a mix of sweet, astringent, clove,and smoke.
On skin...5 min
Strong,astringent,and sweet
On skin 20 min.
Warm,soft fire on the skin, and a wonderfully melodious incense.
I have been waiting years for this.
Keep it forever. Wonderful...wonderful,Fabienne.
simonetta.vespucci
archangel
archangel

Valentine Possets Reviews..Joan of arc

Post by simonetta.vespucci »

too bad i can't do dirt scents. i love joan of arc and this sounds so perfect for her!
fabienne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fabienne »

Awwww. Thanks. You just can't think of Joan of Arc without incense. Can't.
I have sniffed the Panties of Ptah!
goherd
mortal
mortal

Post by goherd »

Oh...please give this a try....it's just a little earthy.....it's not like oils...that have that wet potting soil smell....after the scent is on your skin it melds so it's not even a standout. I know dirt...I taught preschool and teach elementary and after a long playtime outside with big kids.....it is dirt....that you smell. This should be on all oriental perfume lovers list! You are welcome.....they are all so nice but for now...Joan has my heart. My fave so far.....!
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

Aggghhhhh! I could only get a certain amount right now, and Joan of Arc was one of the ones I had to fight over. I finally decided on another, and it appears eenie meenie miney moe failed me. Your review sounds like this scent will be right up my alley. Up to the top of the new list she goes. *Fingers crossed that these will stay up long enough for me to get to them.
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

I ended up grabbing her after all. This is my mini review: In the bottle, this one stumps me a bit. I feel like I'm getting a touch of something that I sniffed when I first got the La Mere Cambienne (and didn't like, but after resting a couple of weeks smoothed out beautifully), but I can't quite put my finger on it. I am definitely getting the church incense, and a very wet wood. When applied to skin, it's much softer than what I'm getting in the bottle. The wood becomes more dry--more like an aged antique very carefully tended through the years, and not a fresh bundle. The incense and wood dominate, but under it all, I do get whiffs of a campfire smoke. I really like the wood in this one--not too wet or resinousy--but more dry and holding it all together. This is a fascinating blend. I think she would be great for cold and dreary days to warm things up, but I also think she might hold well on bright and cheery days too.

Edited to add that several hours later, I still don't get much smoke from this, but that wood is still very lovely and the incense really shines in this. If you love incense, this lady is for you. As far as concerns about dirt/earth, I really don't get that from this. I've tried some earthy scents that really have that great loamy/potting soil quality, but this isn't that at all on me. If there is a hint of dirt, it's more so way down in the bottom keeping this in a fine balance between the notes (but even then, it's more of a surmise on my part because I really don't get the dirt from this at all, and I usually amp dirt).
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
gypsyjolie
principalities
principalities

Post by gypsyjolie »

This is odd, and not what I expected.

Wet: something astringent, soapy floral, and... eau de car repair shop? (petroleum products)
drying: still soapy. The petroleum is calming into dirt. This is the oddest mix of "clean"/soapy and dirt.
full drydown: Mostly dirt. a touch of something floral and soapy. Faint incense... smoky. A very light scent with only a slightly soapy throw. Very "clean".

Wow, Joan did not like me. :(
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. ~ e e cummings
rhubarbbear
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by rhubarbbear »

this isn't what i expected at all. wet it smells kind of soapy and unexciting. as it dries it morphs to a strong band-aid scent. when dry it becomes a surprisingly harmonious mixture of soap, band-aid, a bit of incense, and hmm, something that reminds me of the old estee lauder perfume 'youth dew'. that probably sounds awful, but it isn't. still, not for me. i'm pretty sure this is a case of my skin chemistry turning what would normally be an amazing scent into something...different. i can tell there's a gorgeous perfume lurking underneath the bizarre mish-mash i turned it into!
pink.dot
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by pink.dot »

A great combination of incence and wood. To my skin is a clean incence scent and I am really enjoying it :)
tarayvonne
virtues
virtues

Post by tarayvonne »

My very pretty Mother wore Youth Dew often and rocked it :) She'd dress up nicely and every head in the room turned when she came in. And somehow Youth Dew worked like mad on her. She's always been an exotic woman and Youth Dew seemed to do nothing but add to that. Sorry, favorite scent memory of mine :) It always amazed me when I was young how people flocked to her. So I guess I'm saying Youth Dew can work on some people beautifully, it just depends on the person.