The Romance of the Rose (Valentine 2012)

We took a trip back in time in 2012 to enjoy the intense romance of the Middle Ages.

Moderator: Maya

Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

Possets description: "One of the most daring of the Valentine blends, this is a throughly insane pairing of rose and butter and sugar and a drop of light tea. It is one of the strangest and most confusing blends I have ever come up with and it works like mad. Sometimes you feel you have to rebel and run outside the ruts of slender convention, this fragrance is it."

My mini review: In the bottle I get the most amazing rich butter (and what is almost a toasty note) and tea with a faint whisper of rose. Scrumptious. It goes on with the same notes, and as she dries down, I get a little more of the sugar rising to the top. I really like the tea note--not too sharp, but definitely hanging around. The rose is understated, but gives a lovely base to the whole. This is a very fun scent, but I have concerns that there is something about it that may go a bit "off" although I can't quite pin down what that may be. I'll let her settle, then try her again.

Adding: After a couple hours on my skin, I still get that slightly off note, that in a stronger dose would go into mosquito repellent territory, but since it's so light here it just goes a little funky. The only roses that haven't done that with me are Silver Roses and Texas, so I'm thinking that maybe the rose in those is different, but I don't know.

I wanted to love this one. And the mix of the notes really is fun and genius. I think if my skin didn't mosquito repellent the rose notes, this one would have been a real winner for me. *Sigh
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
tarayvonne
virtues
virtues

Post by tarayvonne »

I also found something slightly off with this one and couldn't place it. Then I layered it with Seraphim and something clicked into place. These two together seemed very dimensional and complex and they worked well together-at least to me.
euterpe
a spark
a spark

Post by euterpe »

I really, really enjoy this one. Thankfully, nothing goes awry on my skin, and I get a lovely rose-tea-pastry combination - rose and tea being dominant and and the pastry being in the background. This one lasts quite a while on my skin, too, and does not seem to morph much at all. Lovely!
lulu
archangel
archangel

Post by lulu »

Oh wow, this is a surprise win for me! When I first put it on, I was instantly reminded of our beloved lost Cuss.....it has that similiar toasty pastry smell but with rose instead of apricot. Like Cuss, that stage fades pretty quickly and the rose comes to the forefront, and what a divine, luscious rose! The foody aspect stays a bit back, but adds such depth and is so complementary to the floral. After a while the rose drops back a bit and I can definitely smell some butter but the richness that normally turns me off is being tamed by a very very faint astringency which I guess is the tea.
I wish the rose stayed up in the forefront on me just because it is absolutely real, rich and beautiful but the drydown is so lovely as well.
If you are a rose lover you will be stunned by this blend :X
FrenchWaffle
preternatural being
preternatural being

Re: The Romance of the Rose (Valentine 2012)

Post by FrenchWaffle »

Working my way through my retour order. I love rose scents, especially along with foody/cake-y notes, so I had to try this one.
In the bottle: cake with rose
Wet: Buttered toast, but not real butter, more like "I can't believe it's not butter". With a slight hint of rose. maybe, just maybe a tiny bit of tea.
Drying: Buttery cake on one side, Rose on the other Lets Get Ready to RUMBBBBLE! Luckily as these notes battle for superiority it does not veer off into funky scent-town. Thank goodness.
Dry: Everything seems to balance out into a sugary rose pastry scent. I would categorize this as warm and cozy.

Final thoughts: I am happy I gambled on this one. I like how this one plays out. I would have liked maybe a tad more rose and just maybe a little more tea to this, but I do like this.
"Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don’t plan it, don’t wait for it, just let it happen. It could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair or two cups of good hot black coffee." -Twin Peaks