Viking Queen (Valentine 2012)

We took a trip back in time in 2012 to enjoy the intense romance of the Middle Ages.

Moderator: Maya

Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

Possets description: "From the frozen north but smelling warm and inviting, the Viking Queen. Cloudberries, a hint of her leathern firkin, a bit of fig, hawthorn, and a light but anchoring musk make this a beautiful and strong lovely fragrance."

My mini review: In the bottle, I get a fruit punch (sweet, but tart fruit) aspect, mixed with a touch of leather and the hawthorn. She goes on with that fruit punch leading the way, but immediately begins to round out and soften. If you like the sweetness of Penelope, this one will remind you of that, but this one has more depth to the sweet notes due to the leather. As she dries down, the leather rises more to smooth out the sweetness, although the sweet is definitely a dominant note here on me. I love the leather in this--not too strong, just gently layered enough to round everything out. She is lovely and I am so glad I got her!

After several hours of wearing, I still really like this one. The leather mixed with the sweet notes is still dominant on my skin, and blends beautifully.
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

I'm wearing this one again today. After sitting for a week, the leather is much stronger at first application, and though that sweet fruit punch aspect is still there, it blends even better with the leather to create a sweet but sexy scent. Without that leather (or even the hawthorn) this would be more of a girl's fragrance on me, but that leather changes it into something sexy.

The dry down of this today is a little softer, as well. The leather is like a very smooth suede jacket scent that lingers on your clothes after you've hung the jacket up in the closet.

I realllllly like the dry down of this. It makes me feel bright and hopeful and like the world is full of wonderful possibilities, but not so bright I feel blinded by it.
tarayvonne
virtues
virtues

Post by tarayvonne »

What a wonderful review Maya :)
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

Thank you. :)
lulu
archangel
archangel

Post by lulu »

I had no idea what a cloudberry was, apparently it's similiar to a raspberry or blackberry, yum!
Like maya said, this has a fruit punch smell when wet, I don't find it overly sweet though, due to a lovely underlaying tartness. When dry, this tarness dissipates a bit and becomes an earthier and well rounded musky berry, I think due to the fig and leather. The fig is quite noticeable to me, more so than the leather but both add some nice depth and maturity to the berry.
Like this one a lot!!
gypsyjolie
principalities
principalities

Post by gypsyjolie »

^^ What lulu said, exactly! :)
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. ~ e e cummings
fabienne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fabienne »

A cloudberry looks like a raspberry but it is yellow and very expensive because it is hard to gather. They are famous in Scandinavia.
I have sniffed the Panties of Ptah!
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

Based on what you said, Fabienne, I went hunting and came across a link that talks about different berries used in Nordic cooking. What it had to say about cloudberries was pretty fun, and showed a picture. If anyone is interested, here is the link--I hope it's okay to cross post here (you have to scroll down a bit to find the cloudberry): http://www.dlc.fi/~marian1/gourmet/i_berry.htm . I always think of fruit punch as sweet and tart, and it's interesting that everywhere I found someone talking about the flavor of cloudberries, it always came down to tart and sweet so I was definitely picking up on that. It's so fun to learn about new-to-me ingredients. :-D
tarayvonne
virtues
virtues

Post by tarayvonne »

Thanks Maya, that was a neat read :)
tarayvonne
virtues
virtues

Post by tarayvonne »

My decant just came in and I'm shocked by this scent. I don't like pine/fir/most woods so I steered clear of this perfume based on the hawthorn. This is really a lot nicer than I could have ever figured. Just a hint of smooth and supple leather, what must be cloudberry and fig combined present a light sweet fruit smell, and what must be hawthorn which isn't so strong that it ruins it for me. It's very smooth. The whole thing smells like "winter berry" I guess. But richer and more complex than that simple combination. I like it. Ugh, there's another bottle I need to pick up before they come down. Fabienne's killing my wallet with too many good perfumes lately. She's really been on her game I must say. I think if it's possible she getting better and better every time she releases new ones now.