The Jester (Valentine 2012)

We took a trip back in time in 2012 to enjoy the intense romance of the Middle Ages.

Moderator: Maya

tarayvonne
virtues
virtues

The Jester (Valentine 2012)

Post by tarayvonne »

Possets description:
"I just had to recreate the smell of a chocolate covered cherry. I put a good glob of marzipan in the center as well which gives the taste of it all a slight kick and takes it out of the realm of a mundane chocolate covered cherry and shoots it into the high place of a truly inspired chocolate covered cherry."

What I get from this is overwhelmingly mostly cherry marzipan with a smooth backdrop of chocolate that's basically a hint of it in the total blend. The chocolate is nearly lost under the cherry mixture. I like it, but I'm a chocolate note fan and I'm sorry it's not more pronounced. But for those of you who might be scared away from this due to chocolate/cherry as a combination don't be. Mostly this is cherry marzipan. And it's not as sweet as it sounds either. At first it goes on quite strong but mellows out quickly. So if you sniff the bottle don't be afraid of the strength which can seem off-putting at first. Like I said, it dries down quickly into something much more wearable.
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The Jester (Valentine 2012)

Post by Maya »

I did cave and grab this just because I had to try it. ;)

In the bottle: it reminds me of cherry cordials—mostly cherry syrup with a touch of chocolate and a hint of something creamy.

On my skin: Ohhhh nice. I was afraid the cherry would be super heavy (more like cough syrup), and although there is a heavy syrup note, the chocolate threads through enough to balance it and keep it from being a cough drop. It's not even dry and it's already shifting with more of the creamy note coming up, the cordial (almost alcoholy essence) is softening, and the cherry is becoming almost candyish. Hmmm, the cherry is rising and getting heavier. I'll see how this one goes. After about five minutes, the cherry is tipping over to being almost too sweet, although there's a note under it all that is promising this is just the beginning of the journey, and I do get whiffs of the chocolate hiding under it all. It is also softening up again. At this point, I'm very tempted to try Lady Z with this one because I think that might rough up the sweetness, but I want to see how this one plays out before I begin to fiddle with it. :o) As it dries down further, this one stays very much on the sweet and cherry candy side. The chocolate seems to be rather faint, although there's enough to remind me that it does have chocolate in it and it's not just cherry and marzipan.

As Tarayvonne noted, it does go on rather strong, but begins to mellow out to something much more wearable. I like that there's a slight creaminess to this (which helps to balance out the super sweet cherry).

It is a fun scent, and on certain days when I need something silly, this would probably be what I'd like to turn to. However, I'm still finding myself wishing for something a little darker to balance out the sugar high. I may cave in a little while and add Lady Z just to see what I get when I do that (although, I have a feeling Lady Z just might end up being too heavy for this one in the dry down).
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

Maya wrote:I did cave and grab this just because I had to try it. ;)

In the bottle: it reminds me of cherry cordials—mostly cherry syrup with a touch of chocolate and a hint of something creamy.

On my skin: Ohhhh nice. I was afraid the cherry would be super heavy (more like cough syrup), and although there is a heavy syrup note, the chocolate threads through enough to balance it and keep it from being a cough drop. It's not even dry and it's already shifting with more of the creamy note coming up, the cordial (almost alcoholy essence) is softening, and the cherry is becoming almost candyish. Hmmm, the cherry is rising and getting heavier. I'll see how this one goes. After about five minutes, the cherry is tipping over to being almost too sweet, although there's a note under it all that is promising this is just the beginning of the journey, and I do get whiffs of the chocolate hiding under it all. It is also softening up again. At this point, I'm very tempted to try Lady Z with this one because I think that might rough up the sweetness, but I want to see how this one plays out before I begin to fiddle with it. :o) As it dries down further, this one stays very much on the sweet and cherry candy side. The chocolate seems to be rather faint, although there's enough to remind me that it does have chocolate in it and it's not just cherry and marzipan.

As Tarayvonne noted, it does go on rather strong, but begins to mellow out to something much more wearable. I like that there's a slight creaminess to this (which helps to balance out the super sweet cherry).

It is a fun scent, and on certain days when I need something silly, this would probably be what I'd like to turn to. However, I'm still finding myself wishing for something a little darker to balance out the sugar high. I may cave in a little while and add Lady Z just to see what I get when I do that (although, I have a feeling Lady Z just might end up being too heavy for this one in the dry down).
Hours and hours later, I can say that this one stays pretty linear on me. Very cherry/marzipan with a dusting of chocolate. Sometimes it seems the chocolate goes a little plasticy on me, but then it'll shift around and I get the chocolate again. The chocolate never asserts itself too much, and stays very low in this blend for me.
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
lulu
archangel
archangel

Post by lulu »

I'm not really one for foody scents, and was pretty meh about this one when I first got it. Pleasant enough with lots of almond and cherry.

It took my fancy to try it again the other day- WOW!!! This must have matured or something, because it's developed into the most boozy, sexy fragrance. Wore this three days in a row which is kind of unlike me..... :hrt::
Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Post by Petticoats »

This is delicious! I can see myself reaching for this on days when I need to be cheered up. I love the slightly boozy marzipan note, and as Maya said, there's a creaminess that prevents the cherry from taking over. The chocolate is more of a background note that gives this some wonderful depth and richness.Somehow the combination starts to take on a slightly perfumy quality as it dries down, making it even more intoxicating. I'm really happy that I got this one during retour. Next retour I'll have to get a big bottle!
Learn about me and my books at www.amandadewees.com.
Boudicca

Post by Boudicca »

In the bottle and wet - boozy cherries! Yum!
I was worried about the marzipan but it's working out for me. It does add creaminess to keep the cherries from going totally over-the-top.
The cherry does trump the chocolate but it is there. I went for this today as I needed a chocolate fix. I'm not quite getting it, but I am happy anyway.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds
warriortwo
archangel
archangel

Post by warriortwo »

I had been craving a berry scent and went for Viking Queen (sickly sweet berry, too much like a BBW scent for my liking) and, on a whim, The Jester. I thought it might be sweet and foody, but there is a grounding element that makes it sexy. Not getting chocolate, exactly; I would say musk. Reminds me of good quality cherry incense. I think this might be full bottle for me.