Doomed Love (Valentines 2012)

We took a trip back in time in 2012 to enjoy the intense romance of the Middle Ages.

Moderator: Maya

tarayvonne
virtues
virtues

Post by tarayvonne »

Posset's description:
"Somewhat high keyed and exquisite, this is a base of Arabian Amber-Musk, studded with English sweetbriar lying on a bed of silk extract. It is heartbreakingly pretty, very clean and uplifting but in the end it's meltingly beautiful."

When I first opened this bottle it smelled kind of like opening a pack of Juicy Fruit chewing gum. This one isn't really agreeing with me so I didn't review it. Since someone is asking though I'll do my best to be fair although I'm having trouble identifying exactly what I'm smelling here. I don't know why but I smell something slightly fruity in this, it's not listed in the notes so I have no idea. Otherwise, I smell the "plant" aspect of the sweetbriar, which seems to clash with the sweetness of the fruity smell and the amber musk. It smells to me like a broken evergreen branch smell mixed with something slightly fruity and amber musk. It dries down to the same, only lighter. In the perfume's defense, I am really scent picky. Really bad actually. So other people might love this. If these notes sound like something you could wear, then by all means try it out. It might be perfect for you. My skin chemistry is strange and not much works on me.
gypsyjolie
principalities
principalities

Post by gypsyjolie »

wet: I agree, Juicy Fruit gum. Very in your face.

drying: I'm pretty sure the "fruity" scent is the sweetbriar, as it smells the same "berry-ish" /evergreen mix that I remember from Mary Shelley and Dank. In those scents, it was paired with deeper scents (woods, plum, vetiver) so it really stands out more in this scent as the pairing is with silk and musk, lighter scents. As this dries, I can pick out the silk scent (remembered form the Corset line).

full drydown: The opening is very cloying and unsophisticated, but the drydown is quite lovely, understated. It's a darkly-fruity scent, with a touch of evergreen and powdery amber - made hazy and comforting with musk. It's cozy and quiet and warm. It's a bit like the cranberry/bayberry-scented candles you get at Christmas time (though without the typical spices those candles have).

As it did in the Corset line, the silk scent starts to smell like band-aids on my skin and turns this scent sour on me. Pass.
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. ~ e e cummings
pink.dot
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by pink.dot »

When I first opened the decant I thougt bubblegum! I checked the notes again bacause I hate the smell of bubblegum in perfumes and I don't order anything with that note.
I put it on and the bubblegum scent faded and now I get more of a clean scent but really difficult to describe.
Jubilee
mortal
mortal

Post by Jubilee »

I too got juicy fruit bubblegum from the bottle and white wet, but upon drydown it kind of smells like cotton candy to me :) I really enjoy this scent and ordered a full bottle.
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

This is my first day of Doomed Love all by itself, and I am still enjoying it. I definitely get the Juicy Fruit aspect of it (both in the bottle, and wet on the skin) and for about five minutes the notes shift and wiggle around a bit, and then it begins to dry down into this soft, sweet, cuddly, very pretty but also playful scent. I can see why Jubilee gets a cotton candy vibe due to the sweetness (and I also think the dry down has an airiness that gives it a cotton candy aspect, too).

I happen to like the tiny bit of sour undernote. To me, it gives the scent more depth and rounds it out a bit and keeps it from going rot-your-teeth-out sweet.

The more I wear this one, the more I can't stop sniffing it. It has this playful undercurrent that keeps sucking me back in--making me think of days at the fair, roller skating rinks, pink poodle skirts, and lots of giggles, but without any of the fussiness or prissiness some of those images bring with them. It's just down right fun, and a tad bit frisky.
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Doomed Love (Valentines 2012)

Post by Maya »

I went through all of my scents last week, and although I thought I had ordered a second bottle of this I didn't see it. I rushed a panicked order in (even though I really was going to just wait until the new ones come out before ordering again), and wouldn't you know it, I was searching through my purse for something and saw the second bottle that I had indeed ordered a while ago. So now I have three bottles of this. Not that I'm complaining. The more I wear this one, the more I love it. For me, it's such a happy frilly girl scent and never fails to make me happy when I put it on.

It's interesting to me how certain scents become associated with certain moods (and usually ones that I didn't expect to be classified as such). I have some "gorgeous" scents, some "girly" scents, some "thoughtful" scents, some "cuddly" scents, and some that are just plain happy. This is one of those simply happy ones. I'm so glad I got to try this one and fall in love with it. *Happy sigh

I've been trying out The Jester from the Valentine collection today, and in its very last stages The Jester's throw has been reminding me of Doomed Love. They are totally different scents and don't remind me of each other at all otherwise, but this dry down has been amusing me with those tiny flashes of Doomed Love that I've been getting.
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!